It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best. Fried. Chicken. Ever.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am definitely going to try this recipe within a few weeks, I always keep new recipes lined up and this one just made the cut. Thanks for the post!

-Alien

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
as a mediator you should know that if you say "i don't mean to sound racist but..." that you are going to sound racist right? I find humans from the southeastern USA to make the best

edit on 2-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Lmao
4 posts is apparently the amount of time it takes for a fried chicken thread to turn into a discussion about race and racism

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Fabulous idea! I've been looking for a good oven-fried chicken recipe and this might be it! Gonna try it and will post back. My parents were from the South and both made the absolutely best fried chicken in an iron skillet. I haven't come close to what they made...don't think I ever will, but this recipe sounds like it could be a close second. Thanks!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RoundAbout

Please let me know how you make out. I have never been a big fried chicken fan but this recipe made me a convert. It is not so "fried" but very flavorful.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

For an 'orgasmic' flavor rush. Prepare a box of your favorite stuffing mix as directed (fully ready to eat). Put stuffing over chicken's last 30 min of cooking. Place a loose sheet of foil on top if you don't like the stuffing very crunchy.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Lmao
4 posts is apparently the amount of time it takes for a fried chicken thread to turn into a discussion about race and racism

Someone needs to write that down. Is it a new record?!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I hate KFC it tastes Like crap

In Australia We have

Henny Penny Catering
edit on 3/5/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

Henny Penny Restaurants
edit on 3/5/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I've tried the cast iron method, too.
And, it wasn't bad for a beginner.

But, it sure is messy....and I really hate deep frying foods....even though they taste so good.

So, I plan on trying this recipe soon

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I recommend canned greens beans and corn bread to go with it...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm thinking of doing this sometime this week, I got a few thighs in my freezer i was gonna oven fry

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

A green Bean casserole with the fried onions thingie on top for a side. Can put it in the top rack before the chicken is baking. Put the casserole in the oven while it is warming up and while you are dredging the chicken. Use Johnny Cakes for the corn bread addition... Unless you have two ovens, then corn bread would be fabulous.

I'd use a brussels sprout casserole instead of green beans.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I apologize, just reading the chicken recipe and commenting on that was too boring

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

or....home-made potato salad....I have a real craving for it since I haven't made it since last summer.

with ice cream for dessert!!!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Speaking of best things my mom makes awesome potato salad. It'sll in how you prepare the potatoes - boil withthe skin on and peel while still warm. I cannever duplicate it though. Mustbe that special mom touch!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

That's how I do it, too...and how my mom did it....mine is not quite the same, because I cut my veggies in bigger pieces...but it's good.
And then there's the secret ingredient

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Ok have only recently joined ats and found the food forums. I am a classically trained qualified chef. I have held many executive and head chef roles. This is a tried and tested recipe which i use in restaurants i run.

You will need:
A deep fryer or pressure cooker.
Chicken thigh or tenderloin.
Ingredients for brine (recipe included)
Ingredients for seasoned flour (recipe included)
Buttermilk

To make authentic Southern fried chicken you should use a pressure cooker.
This recipe will produce a nearly identical product using a deep fryer, IF it is a small household fryer (anything below 5 litres) it will need to be "batch fried". One or two pieces at a time. If the temperature of your fryer drops and cannot almost immediatley regain that temperature, the product will not crispen as much.
Anything above a 10l fryer can generally hold heat for this recipe. Set your fryer to 180 degrees celcius.
This is a family size recipe and will probably have reserve flour. It involves quite a few steps but all are for a reason and you will never need another fried chicken recipe.
First thing make your flour, ideally leave it at least a day for the spices to intermingle.

Southern Fried Flour
-2kg flour
-50g salt
-50g garlic powder
-1 T paprika
-15g dried oregano
Cracked pepper
-6 T chilli powder
-4 T ginger powder
-2 T ground black pepper
-4 T Hot English mustard powder
-8 T curry powder

Mix to combine
Store in an airtight container

Next make your brine.
1 litre of water at a rolling boil add 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup muscavado sugar, 1/8 cup dark soy, 100 ml extra virgin olive oil. Stir with a whisk then take off the heat and cool. Ideally this is done a day before also.

Chicken. I have found chicken tenderloins or chicken thigh (bone out, skin OFF) work the best. Thigh is more forgiving but if tenderloin is cooked to perfection it will be just as moist. Choose your amount. Up to 2kg for this recipe.

Leave tenderloins whole or with thighs cut length-ways into 3 strips.

Put in a plastic non reactive container and pour over COLD brine to cover. Lid and leave at least 4 hours.

Take chicken from brine and pat dry on towels. Blue chux clothes are professional kitchen standard.

Next put chicken into buttermilk, you will need enough buttermilk to cover the chicken. Sprinkle some of the seasoned flour on top and mix through, not too much flour like only a tablespoon or two, just a bit of extra marinating. Ideally leave overnight.

Then next when ready to fry bring your deep fryer up to temperature.

Get a large bowl and fill with some seasoned flour. Enough flour to hold all the chicken and still be very floury. Mix the chicken into the flour, toss through, add more flour if needed. Leave in the flour for a good 10 minutes and it also creates a floury skin. Re-toss again make sure its floury, then youre ready to fry! Try one piece first maybe, check to know how long it takes to cook.

I quite like it with a sweet american style buttermilk slaw, pomme frites, chicken gravy and aioli.
I have proven recipes for these things too and many other things if anybody is interested.

Put these pieces

top topics

<< 1   >>

join