It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow

Leaving a loaded rifle in the corner is dumb and irresponsible, but not criminal. Cleaning supplies, prescription and over the counter medications, pesticides and herbicides, TVs or shelves that aren't anchored to the wall, and numerous other things are irresponsible to leave about when small children are in the home, but not criminal. Do we really want to arrest over every dumb irresponsible mistake, or just the ones that end in tragedy? I cant honestly remember all of the dumb mistakes I have made, but thankfully I have been lucky enough to not have to pay the price for them, yet I have still learned valuable lessons in each. Ultimately, I suppose the DA or a jury of their peers will decide their punishment, but nothing will ever compare to living with the knowledge that you are responsible for killing your own child.

BS! This was complety preventible and the parents should be punnished as a example for proper gun saftey!

Have your guns but everyone should be held responisible for there firearms.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Erm last time I checked we in the UK never became communist, we were never NAZI or indeed invaded by the NAZI's nor did we ever give up our democracy (one thats working better than yours in some regards) and the UK in General is happy with its strict gun control, yes it has issue (like the USA) but we are far from a tyranical facist state!

Not saying that is right course for the US but dont vilify my country and hold it up with the USSR and NAZI germany.

And anyway I dont see you yanks useing your beloved guns to proetct your rights anyway as your goverments is slowly striping you of your rights since 9/11.

Try rereading what Neo said, you jumped to some conclusions..................

As far as your comment on to us US citizens NOT using our guns to protect our rights and freedoms????? Try looking up history and the battle of Lexington Green! Many Americans died because they claimed the moral high ground and allowed the British troops to fire first!!!!!!

History WILL repeat itself in the United States! Only this time it won't be the British we are fighting against......

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Gun suporters use cars as a example. Welll like cars there should be rules on takeing classes before you handle them and rules on safely handling them.

I love it when people bring up cars because I get to use this:

Is there a federal background check to buy one?

Nope!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Nope!

Nor horsepower restrictions or fuel capacity limitations and you dont have to pay an extra $200 and wait 6 months to put a muffler on them.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by crazyewok

Gun suporters use cars as a example. Welll like cars there should be rules on takeing classes before you handle them and rules on safely handling them.
Really where? Usually it is you gun grabbers that mistakenly try to compare cars to guns. Only one of which is Constitutionally protected.

Just because it is a right doesn't mean you should not be held accountable for it misuse and poor handling!

IM not saying take you guy away. But you should have to attend gun classes. Which I don't see as unconstitutional.

Or do you think any nut should be able to buy a gun and do what ever the hell they want with it?

As for pro gun supporters compareing it with a car? I seen at leats 2 on this thread alone. eg ngchunter, seeker1963

edit on 1-5-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Here are a few links to explain to a city boy why country folks need protection.....
www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.fwi.co.uk...

www.gq-magazine.co.uk...

It is all there for everyone to see and read, no country is immune....all countries have different rules.

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 1-5-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

As for pro gun supporters compareing it with a car? I seen at leats 2 on this thread alone. eg ngchunter, seeker1963

How was I wrong in my post? I noticed you didn't put the context of what I said before you so nonchalantly use my name!!!!

IF CARS ARE NOT DANGEROUS WHY DO PEOPLE GET ARRESTED FOR DRIVING THEM AFTER HAVING A FEW DRINKS?????????

Nice how you left that out isn't it????

So is it the car that is a weapon or the person that is drinking while using it????????

Go ahead, answer that one!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

As far as your comment on to us US citizens NOT using our guns to protect our rights and freedoms????? Try looking up history and the battle of Lexington Green! Many Americans died because they claimed the moral high ground and allowed the British troops to fire first!!!!!!

History WILL repeat itself in the United States! Only this time it won't be the British we are fighting against......

1) It has never been confermed who fired first. British claim you did you claim we did. In the land of REAL history the whole thing was alot more complex anway.

2) They are not protecting you NOW. You talk big but I did not see you guys takeing the streets after 9/11 when your gov started striping you of your rights. Nor did I see any resistance when troops starting raiding homes in boston without warrents.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

How was I wrong in my post? I noticed you didn't put the context of what I said before you so nonchalantly use my name!!!!

IF CARS ARE NOT DANGEROUS WHY DO PEOPLE GET ARRESTED FOR DRIVING THEM AFTER HAVING A FEW DRINKS?????????

Nice how you left that out isn't it????

So is it the car that is a weapon or the person that is drinking while using it????????

Go ahead, answer that one!

And you mis understood MY post im agreeing with you. Both are dangrous and in my opinion both should be treated the same with respect.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
For those of you claiming the child was too young, that is not the factor. The factor is letting the child hold the thing unsupervised.

My son is 6 (going on 7 this year) I just got him the same rifle.
www.crickett.com...

Now before you jump all over this post make sure you read it well.

The rifle is useless without the key that I hold on my keychain. It is locked. I hold the key so the only time the rifle gets pulled out is when I am there with my son. When I say there with him I mean with my arms around him while he is shooting. It is a single shot rifle. I load it and I pull the firing pin back.

Now if you are still reading you will see that I also am teaching him responsible gun handling. If you are going to post that he should not be touching the gun you are not reading my post all the way through. He knows not to aim the rifle at anything he does not want to shoot. The gun always stays pointed toward the ground until he is ready to shoot. In fact he is already more responsible than most adults in this manner. The only time he touches it is when we are walking to the area to go and shoot. At this time the rifle is still locked with the bolt action back so that I can see there is no round in the rifle and making it a useless piece of metal and plastic until I use my key to unlock it.

My son has shot the rifle and hits his target. I let him aim but have helped him support the rifle. He knows the gun is not a toy. He knows that he is not to touch the gun unless I am there with him. He knows the proper handling of the gun and again it is always pointed at the ground until he is ready to shoot.

Now I trust my son with the rifle in his hand more than most adults. Those who talk about accidents happening need to understand that accidents happen because someone is being negligent. In this case it was the parents for allowing the child to handle a firearm unsupervised even just to step out of the room and come back. You never allow a child to handle a firearm unsupervised. If an adult causes a firearm to go off by accident it is again due to negligence. Most of the time handling a firearm "thinking" it is unloaded. Always handle a firearm as if it is loaded. The only time you can be sure one is unloaded is when it is disassembled at which point it is useless.

For those saying parents should lose their kids for letting them handle, shoot, or own a firearm, if you want to come take my child you are going through me first.

This is tragic but it is totally to blame on the parents for allowing the child to handle the firearm without someone there, you never do that. The gun is not to blame, the parents are for being negligent.

Raist

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Nope!

So any nut job and criminal should be allowed to buy a gun?

Im not saying ban them but you need to be RESPONSIBLE with them.
No harm in a training course and qucik check to make sure you are not a registerd pycopath or violent re offender.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Leaving a loaded rifle in the corner is dumb and irresponsible, but not criminal. Cleaning supplies, prescription and over the counter medications, pesticides and herbicides, TVs or shelves that aren't anchored to the wall, and numerous other things are irresponsible to leave about when small children are in the home, but not criminal. Do we really want to arrest over every dumb irresponsible mistake, or just the ones that end in tragedy? I cant honestly remember all of the dumb mistakes I have made, but thankfully I have been lucky enough to not have to pay the price for them, yet I have still learned valuable lessons in each. Ultimately, I suppose the DA or a jury of their peers will decide their punishment, but nothing will ever compare to living with the knowledge that you are responsible for killing your own child.

BS! This was complety preventible and the parents should be punnished as a example for proper gun saftey!

As many as 5000 adolescents die each year from alcohol consumption, yet no one is suggesting that we reinstate a prohibition on alcohol or arrest parents for not keeping their alcohol under lock and key. Nearly all auto accidents are preventable. All kinds of death are preventable, but do we want to start tossing people in prison for every little thing?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Fantastic post.........you are a good parent.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

So any nut job and criminal should be allowed to buy a gun?

Seems they do anyways with restrictions.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I guess you missed the "one purpose" part. Can you make a salad with a gun? Like a knife? Can you ride a gun to the library like you would a car? Can you clean your place with a gun like you can with household products?

Of course this was the parent's fault. I'm from europe and I was raised with a .25. Since I was very young my mother always taught me how to handle it properly and you know the funny part? She hates guns. Shes a doctor. She went through hell during the colonial war in africa (well she was born there) attending to the wounded, shredded and partially mutilated - she hates all weapons, but holds a special grudge against machetes, ak47s and landmines.

But my grandfather gave her that gun, and since there was a gun in the house, and since there was also a kid in the house (me) even though she hated the damn thing, she knew that sooner or later the damn kid was bound to find the gun so she did her best to explain everything there was to explain about the gun, how to load, to unload, to check the magazine, to check the chamber, to check the safety, how to safely know if the gun was completely discharged and completely safe to operate. By the age of 6 or 7 I knew everything I had to know about my .25 semi auto little handgun and I had the most utter respect for any weapon.

Well... turns out that the mother is still a doctor, a very good forensics one, and still hates weapons and the kid grew up and loves weapons (much to his mother's disappointment) and joined the rangers - still today even with my friends that want to "learn" or to "try" to shoot I always try my best to teach the insides and outs of everything concerning firearms - safety always comes first. Learn how to handle it, before you learn how to shoot it.

So Intrepid I see no point in your comments. Everything has its purpose. A gun has its purpose too. A very specific one. Its a very specialized item thus a very efficient one at what it does - the more specialized something is, the more efficient it becomes, the more narrow is the spectrum of uses you can give to that particular thing. That happens with people too by the way. What can you do with a computer mouse? What can you do with your speakers from your hi-end stereo? What can you do with your playstation controller? And be realistic, dont give me some bs macgyver answer saying you can turn the speakers into some crap using the magnets and such to create some kind of microwave to heat your food using a perma-motion friction based heat, or else I can answer that my guns are awesome paper weights and I can hang my coat on the bayonet of my fn fal that I keep as a collector's item, or that I use an ak74m stock folded as a measurement system - 70cm at a time.

The problem here are with the parents alone. Just the fact of having a gun and kids at home is a reason to:
1) never keep the kids ignorant about the guns 2) never keep the guns loaded 3) always be sure that your kids WILL find the gun - no matter what you do, and where you hide it (unless of course you have a damn safe or something and even then they will try to figure out that combination no matter what) they will find the gun sooner or later - kids find EVERYTHING. 4) never keep the guns and ammo in the same place nor in places close or next to each other. That doesnt apply only to "guns" btw. It applies to any weapon. Leave a bow and see what happens.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

As many as 5000 adolescents die each year from alcohol consumption, yet no one is suggesting that we reinstate a prohibition on alcohol or arrest parents for not keeping their alcohol under lock and key. Nearly all auto accidents are preventable. All kinds of death are preventable, but do we want to start tossing people in prison for every little thing?

In not saying ban guns. But if you buy one you are responsible for its safe handling!

If you pass out drunk and leave your bottle of vodka out and your 2 year old drinks it and dies Im pretty sure you would get into legal trouble.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sad story, but it doesn't surprise me. On the way back from Texas we drove through Southern Kentucky and there were people in camo and with guns on the side of the road going into the woods or at the tiny hunting/bait shops that were at every turn. Nice people, though.
edit on 1-5-2013 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniraug
Sad story, but it doesn't surprise me. On the way back from Texas we drove through Southern Kentucky and there were people in camo and with guns on the side of the road going into the woods or at the tiny hunting/bait shops that were at every turn. Nice people, though.
edit on 1-5-2013 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

That is what they do there and either get used to it or don't drive through Southern Kentucky ........how hard is that?

If you happen to drive through Northern Ontario or any Province for that matter you are going to see some bad looking dudes wearing camo and carrying the biggest rifles you have ever seen.

These rifles drop Moose at a very long distance, so be warned stay away and go home and eat your vegan diet.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 1-5-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

You know what Crazeywok.........I just want you to know, that even though I am a citizen of the US, it doesn't make me feel like I am any more special as a human being because of the piece of dirt I live on than anyone else!

As a United States citizen I value the freedom of every man, woman and child whom lives on this planet!

I just want those of you whom live in other countries that bash us for our values to realize that if this global governance and banking takeover is successful, WE ALL LOSE!!

People die every day thru out the world for many different reasons! I just want people to look outside the box and realize that just because the MSM is portraying people whom own guns as being the BAD GUYS, is to do nothing more than ignore the purpose behind the propaganda!!!!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

[
I just want those of you whom live in other countries that bash us for our values to realize that if this global governance and banking takeover is successful, WE ALL LOSE!!

Im not as I think I have said 3 times on this post have your guns that obviosly part of your culture. What works in the UK wont nessarly work in the USA and vis versa.

BUT

If you have guns then irresponsible and careless people need to be made examples of. Yes 99.9% will use them responsibly and as such should be left alone but the 0.01% who abuse your right and cause harm and death should have the book thrown at them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join