It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My god, the obtuseness of the gun lover. Tell me friend, what do you expect when you pull the trigger on a firearm? A birthday cake? It has ONE purpose.
What do I expect? I hope to hit the bulls-eye and win a prize, or put dinner on the table, or defend my home against an intruder. My expectations vary with the circumstances.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

If I had an 'agenda' it is for Americans not to be treated like a 'terrorist", and preserve their civiil liberties because a group of people see a benefit from political gain.

A gun is a tool just like any other it depends on the user, much like a car,a chainsaw,a lawn mower,a knife, a baseball bat, etc.

When people 'blame' inanimate' objects that all require user input to be 'dangerous' I say that is disingenous.

The world we live in everything has dangerous applications.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Lots of steps to make it dangerous. It isnt a magic death wand with a will of its own as so many like to pretend it is.

I agree but it's not as impotent as some would make you believe either.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

My boys got their first rifle for their seventh birthday. I can't honestly say what is right for other people. We treat our guns like they are always loaded, we never point them at anyone, and we understand the lethality they possess. Accidents happen, but proper risk management can minimize them. The poor decisions of the 2 and 5 year olds' parents will haunt them for a lifetime, the behavior correction and the punishment have already been doled out, would you honestly wreck their lives even further with prison? People will learn from their lessons and fewer people will suffer such consequences- that is good enough for me.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Lots of steps to make it dangerous. It isnt a magic death wand with a will of its own as so many like to pretend it is.

I agree but it's not as impotent as some would make you believe either.

You'd have to qualify that with something like Cooper's conditions. Otherwise a gun is just a hunk of metal sitting idle.

Without qualification saying a gun is dangerous is an incomplete equation.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I don't think that's the "world". I think it's more of a US thing. Look outside your borders and see what awaits. This is not solely a US thing but it's "predominantly" a US thing.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Here a three year old with that same rifle the Crickett. Sickening

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by danneu89

Originally posted by Cabin

The boy had received the rifle as a gift. It was usually kept in a corner of the house, and no one realized a shell had been left inside.

You F#$%ing serious? That's a great place to keep a gun in house with children.

If these are the people reproducing, I give humanity another 500 years, tops.

Actually it is a very good place to store a rifle.....front or back door corner standing up ready to shoot any wild animals,
or life threatening animals that happen across your property whilst showing their teeth
But yes on the other hand it is sad that this occurred
But I am not seeing neglect.

Just my opinion only.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If I had an 'agenda' it is for Americans not to be treated like a 'terrorist", and preserve their civiil liberties because a group of people see a benefit from political gain.

A gun is a tool just like any other it depends on the user, much like a car,a chainsaw,a lawn mower,a knife, a baseball bat, etc.

When people 'blame' inanimate' objects that all require user input to be 'dangerous' I say that is disingenous.

You really said a mouthful there my friend! Unfortunately, people have become the same as the objects they fear! What do they do with their fear? Ask the government to save them!!

If they would only study history and documents that have been declassified, I would think that they might wake the hell up and realize that the ONLY people responsible are those whom take their OWN ACTIONS and hold themselves accountable for them! Thus my next statement.......

Those whom rely on the government, do nothing more than prove they are incapable of accepting responsibilities for their OWN ACTIONS!!!!

It wouldn't be so bad, if the government actually did their job and arrested real criminals. But as we have seen from the past AND the present, it is quite difficult to uphold the laws of the land, when it appears that those whom write the laws are exempt from them........................

Feudalism is the word that comes to mind in this instance, as well as the "Cloward and Piven Strategy"! But hey, I want to be free and most people seem to be willing to allow their fears to make them slaves! I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they finally realized how bad they screwed up!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I don't think that's the "world". I think it's more of a US thing. Look outside your borders and see what awaits. This is not solely a US thing but it's "predominantly" a US thing.

Funny I do, saw the same vilification in the UK, and other Euro countries,Australia,Canada, Germany in the 30s, and communist countries around the globe.

We do see what awaits which is why I and others fight so fervently towards the preservation of gun rights.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
reply to post by Cabin

My boys got their first rifle for their seventh birthday. I can't honestly say what is right for other people. We treat our guns like they are always loaded, we never point them at anyone, and we understand the lethality they possess. Accidents happen, but proper risk management can minimize them. The poor decisions of the 2 and 5 year olds' parents will haunt them for a lifetime, the behavior correction and the punishment have already been doled out, would you honestly wreck their lives even further with prison? People will learn from their lessons and fewer people will suffer such consequences- that is good enough for me.

Yup, I'd lock them up for 6 months each, consecutively, not at the same time.

The whole 'living with it is punishment enough' thing doesn't work in the real world. I'd even strip them of the right to own guns for a while, not indefinitely.

Is there nothing criminal about leaving a loaded weapon sitting in the corner, with 5 and 2 year old children living there?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature

Is there nothing criminal about leaving a loaded weapon sitting in the corner, with 5 and 2 year old children living there?

You can't criminalize stupidity. If we did, were would obama get his voters? Where would Springer get his guests? What would happen to "reality tv"?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

Actually no there is not anything criminal about it, If you live in the sticks you need a gun or two handy at all times.

It is just how it works, don't have a gun then you should be in the city.

We have two close friends that do the farm thing, first one owns a chicken farm with over 20k in laying hens.....
3 children and there is a rifle in 3 different areas on the ground floor loaded and good to go.

The second farm they actually do not farm it, they lease out the land and live on the remaining 20 acres or so.....
But they too have rifles ready to go because of the wild animals that threaten them almost on a daily basis.

The second farm keeps them in umbrella stands at all the doors and everyone in the house knows how to use them.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Funny I do, saw the same vilification in the UK, and other Euro countries,Australia,Canada, Germany in the 30s, and communist countries around the globe. We do see what awaits which is why I and others fight so fervently towards the preservation of gun rights.

Correct you are sir, here in Canada there are more hunting rifles than police.
We have some serious game hunters and they all know how to use their weaponry

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Funny I do, saw the same vilification in the UK, and other Euro countries,Australia,Canada, Germany in the 30s, and communist countries around the globe.

We do see what awaits which is why I and others fight so fervently towards the preservation of gun rights.

Erm last time I checked we in the UK never became communist, we were never NAZI or indeed invaded by the NAZI's nor did we ever give up our democracy (one thats working better than yours in some regards) and the UK in General is happy with its strict gun control, yes it has issue (like the USA) but we are far from a tyranical facist state!

Not saying that is right course for the US but dont vilify my country and hold it up with the USSR and NAZI germany.

And anyway I dont see you yanks useing your beloved guns to proetct your rights anyway as your goverments is slowly striping you of your rights since 9/11.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
What a horrible thing that has happened.
I would bet that alot more children were lost today due to hospital acquired infections.
But why do we NEVER hear about those.
Or cps failures where parents neglect or beat their children to death, yet they go after parents under the guise of neglect when these same parents take their child to TWO seperate doctors in one day.
Why do we hear of one tragedy all of the time but not the other much more numerous tragedies that are TOTALLY preventable??
Oh that's right, someone ...or someones has an agenda.

This was a completely preventable death! The parents should have the full force of the law thrown at them publicly.

Have your Guns fine, but bloody well make sure you use them responsibly!

Gun suporters use cars as a example. Welll like cars there should be rules on takeing classes before you handle them and rules on safely handling them.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature

Originally posted by onthedownlow
reply to post by Cabin

Yup, I'd lock them up for 6 months each, consecutively, not at the same time.

The whole 'living with it is punishment enough' thing doesn't work in the real world. I'd even strip them of the right to own guns for a while, not indefinitely.

Leaving a loaded rifle in the corner is dumb and irresponsible, but not criminal. Cleaning supplies, prescription and over the counter medications, pesticides and herbicides, TVs or shelves that aren't anchored to the wall, and numerous other things are irresponsible to leave about when small children are in the home, but not criminal. Do we really want to arrest over every dumb irresponsible mistake, or just the ones that end in tragedy? I cant honestly remember all of the dumb mistakes I have made, but thankfully I have been lucky enough to not have to pay the price for them, yet I have still learned valuable lessons in each. Ultimately, I suppose the DA or a jury of their peers will decide their punishment, but nothing will ever compare to living with the knowledge that you are responsible for killing your own child.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Erm last time I checked we in the UK never became communist, we were never NAZI or indeed invaded by the NAZI's nor did we ever give up our democracy (one thats working better than yours in some regards) and the UK in General is happy with its strict gun control, yes it has issue (like the USA) but we are far from a tyranical facist state!

Oh Geez

Read this again.

edit on 1-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
We do have people in love with using guns as toys and entertainment

Guntucky is an American television reality series - Episode 1

Payton and his friends were shooting at some home appliances.

Kenny and Stephanie create a gangster reenactment with guns they recently discovered and Chad lets two customers blast up a boat together.

Toward the end of the episode, the Sumner family comes outside together to shoot all the unneeded home appliances they have.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Gun suporters use cars as a example. Welll like cars there should be rules on takeing classes before you handle them and rules on safely handling them.
Really where? Usually it is you gun grabbers that mistakenly try to compare cars to guns. Only one of which is Constitutionally protected.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join