It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree this is a SEVERE parenting failure.

Shame the sister died.

Gun ownership 101 never leave a gun within reach of children. EVER.

link   
reply to post by Cabin

A five year old has no business with a rifle or any other kind of gun, regardless of the intentions of the parents.

My late best friend was given his first rifle when he was around seven, I think. His father wanted them to learn responsible gun ownership starting at an early age. When my friend was around 22 or 23 he was shot in a "hunting accident" by his brother, who was also raised as such.

Now, I'm sure they are plenty of kids given guns who have not accidentally shot a relative, but IMO I five year old simply does not have any need for a gun in current American society. If these people are self sufficient mountain people secluded from civilization, that might be a bit different. Lol

link   
So sad and so stupid....a 5 yr old is too young even for a BB gun and it was seriously negligent to leave a loaded weapon where a young child could get his hands on it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
OR... ORRR... - Or it could have been a way to remove an expensive 2 y.o. mouth to feed... and there happened to be a 5 y.o. there to blame.... He can take the wrap...

Just thinkin.

ETA: I'll prolly be flamed for that...
edit on 5/1/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Any parent that lets a child have a gun, even under supervision, should be thrown in jail and their kids taken away from them. If your intelligence is that low, you are a danger to society.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Cabin
Here for example, you will never get a licence (or maybe after some 5-10 year-old-period) if you lose your gun, even when it is stolen. Nobody cares, the fact is you owned and had to keep it in a place, where it can not be gotten by other people. If murder is made with the gun, you are also held accountible as somebody who helps with the murder, although the punishment is still 1-5 years.

Do they also hold you accountable if someone steals your car or carjacks you and then runs over or kills someone in a getaway attempt? I'm not saying leaving a gun laying around for a 5 and a 2 year old to access is anything but negligent, but I certainly don't think a gun owner should be held accountable if their weapon is stolen any more than a car owner should be held responsible for the same thing.
If you leave the keys in the ignition, and your 5 year old takes the car and kills someone, you're damn right you would get charged with criminal negligence, at the very least.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind
reply to post by Cabin

This is just dumb and blood on the hands of the NRA and all the gun lovers out there.

The 2nd Amendment is a right. You can blame whoever you want, but it won't change anything.

It is not uncommon for some families to give a gun to a new born baby, it doesn't mean that they will put that loaded gun in the crib with the infant.

The parents made a mistake and violated the most basic gun safety rules, the blood is on their hands. I can assure you cannot fathom the loss and heartbreak those parents are experiencing.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind
This is just dumb and blood on the hands of the NRA and all the gun lovers out there.

Oh please. That is just as ridiculous as:

I cannot overemphasize that this was not the rifle's fault though.

You guys with your agendas. Pfft. Yes guns ARE dangerous. Secondly this was a major breach in firearm etiquette. 5 is too damn young for a weapon. Leaving it "in a corner" is beyond stupid. Criminal negligence imo.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Cars and guns should not be compared. Car is mainly a vehicle. Gun is a weapon.

The laws are a bit more complicated. If gun was kept in a specific locker and it was picked (which is not easy), then you will not be held accountible. If it was just held hidden or somewhere open in the house, where anybody searching can find it , then you will be held accountible for carelessness. Gun owners are responsible for holding their guns in a place where others can not get access easily.

They most certainly SHOULD be compared!!!

Are people not being arrested by the thousands on a daily basis for Driving Under the Influence???? Why is that happening if a car is NOT a weapon????

It's called being a responsible adult!!!!! Period!!!!

The problem with society today, is that we rely on the government and the criminal justice system whom do nothing more than criminalize EVERYONE, whether they are responsible or not!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Cabin
Here for example, you will never get a licence (or maybe after some 5-10 year-old-period) if you lose your gun, even when it is stolen. Nobody cares, the fact is you owned and had to keep it in a place, where it can not be gotten by other people. If murder is made with the gun, you are also held accountible as somebody who helps with the murder, although the punishment is still 1-5 years.

Do they also hold you accountable if someone steals your car or carjacks you and then runs over or kills someone in a getaway attempt? I'm not saying leaving a gun laying around for a 5 and a 2 year old to access is anything but negligent, but I certainly don't think a gun owner should be held accountable if their weapon is stolen any more than a car owner should be held responsible for the same thing.
If you leave the keys in the ignition, and your 5 year old takes the car and kills someone, you're damn right you would get charged with criminal negligence, at the very least.

I'm not talking about your kid taking your car with keys in the ignition, I'm talking about someone not-of-your-family stealing your unlocked car just like they might steal an unlocked gun. Neither or the latter two relate to the first. I already said it was negligent to leave a loaded gun laying out in the open where a 5 and a 2 year old could get to it. If you're going to jump into the middle of a discussion, please read everything the person wrote before you respond. Otherwise you risk putting up a strawman argument like the one you just erected. You didn't even have to search for a different post, I said that in the very post you responded to.
edit on 1-5-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I cannot overemphasize that this was not the rifle's fault though.

You guys with your agendas. Pfft. Yes guns ARE dangerous. Secondly this was a major breach in firearm etiquette. 5 is too damn young for a weapon. Leaving it "in a corner" is beyond stupid. Criminal negligence imo.

Perhaps you can explain to me exactly what THE RIFLE did wrong in this situation? Since you insist the rifle take some of the blame.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Perhaps you can explain to me exactly what THE RIFLE did wrong in this situation? Since you insist the rifle take some of the blame.

A firearm is dangerous just by it's being. It has one purpose. That purpose is dangerous. To say that a firearm isn't is to put one's head in the sand.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What a horrible thing that has happened.
I would bet that alot more children were lost today due to hospital acquired infections.
But why do we NEVER hear about those.
Or cps failures where parents neglect or beat their children to death, yet they go after parents under the guise of neglect when these same parents take their child to TWO seperate doctors in one day.
Why do we hear of one tragedy all of the time but not the other much more numerous tragedies that are TOTALLY preventable??
Oh that's right, someone ...or someones has an agenda.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

A firearm is dangerous just by it's being. It has one purpose. That purpose is dangerous. To say that a firearm isn't is to put one's head in the sand.

Au contraire.

A firearms usage depends on the user it can be used for more than one purpose.

Yes to kill, but it can be used for self defense to wound, or put food on the table.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Au contraire.

A firearms usage depends on the user it can be used for more than one purpose.

Yes to kill, but it can be used for self defense to wound, or put food on the table.

Those aren't dangerous applications? Ooo, I've got the gun guys after me now. I said something against the "sacred weapon". Cripes and I was backing you guys up too. Those with agenda's.
No wonder America is in a downward spiral.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

A firearm is dangerous just by it's being.

News to me. Last time I checked without ammunition and physical force exerted upon the firing mechanism a gun is as dangerous as the mouse connected to my PC.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Oh bull. A rifle is a tool with several uses. It should be used by competent individuals which excludes the vast majority of 5 yearolds. A car is dangerous in the wrong hands. A knife, a baseball bat, a plastic bag, a rope, a lighter, even common cleaning chemicals and fertilizers are all dangerous in the wrong hands. They are not dangerous in and of themselves. They are dangerous when in incompetent hands or in the hands of those who seek to do harm. I could walk into any wal-mart and walk out with everything I need to make plastic explosives and poison gasses. I could make a variety of ieds with timers or remote detonate capabilities. It isn't the items that are dangerous. It is the person using the items that can make almost anything dangerous.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My god, the obtuseness of the gun lover. Tell me friend, what do you expect when you pull the trigger on a firearm? A birthday cake? It has ONE purpose.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My god, the obtuseness of the gun lover. Tell me friend, what do you expect when you pull the trigger on a firearm? A birthday cake? It has ONE purpose.

Is it loaded? What is it the muzzle covering?

Lots of steps to make it dangerous. It isnt a magic death wand with a will of its own as so many like to pretend it is.

Come to think of it, Intrepid only has one purpose. To live. And in living it is consuming. In consuming it is using resources and causing damage and loss to the ecosystem. Intrepids one purpose is to destroy. Dangerous thing that Intrepid is.
edit on 1-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I guess you missed the "one purpose" part. Can you make a salad with a gun? Like a knife? Can you ride a gun to the library like you would a car? Can you clean your place with a gun like you can with household products?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join