It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

rt.com

A 5-year old boy accidentally shot and killed his 2-year-old sister in rural southern Kentucky with a rifle he had received a present last year, the local coroner said.

Police said the boy shot his sister with a .22-caliber rifle on Tuesday afternoon just moments after his mother stepped out onto the porch.

The boy had received the rifle as a gift. It was usually kept in a corner of the house, and no one realized a shell had been left inside.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

+9 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have no comments. Very sad story.

Seriously, what is wrong with the people... Gifting a 5-year-old a rifle, that can kill a person. 5 year-olds is seriously too young for a gun... Maybe 12-15 year-old when one can already think about the consequences of their actions. Even when it is meant as a first rifle for kids, it should definetely be only used at trainings and never held in a place where children can get it, even when there are no bullets inside... Guns are not a toy and it should be taught by every parent.

In my opinion, these parents should be taken criminally accountable for murder. Even though they directly did not murder somebody, their carelessness led a person who is not even able to think straight yet to murder somebody else.

Here for example, you will never get a licence (or maybe after some 5-10 year-old-period) if you lose your gun, even when it is stolen. Nobody cares, the fact is you owned and had to keep it in a place, where it can not be gotten by other people. If murder is made with the gun, you are also held accountible as somebody who helps with the murder, although the punishment is still 1-5 years.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It was usually kept in a corner of the house, and no one realized a shell had been left inside.

Severe parenting fail. The universe was just taking back what these people should never have been blessed with in the first place.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

The boy had received the rifle as a gift. It was usually kept in a corner of the house, and no one realized a shell had been left inside.

You F#$%ing serious? That's a great place to keep a gun in house with children.

If these are the people reproducing, I give humanity another 500 years, tops.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Double posted somehow
edit on 1-5-2013 by danneu89 because: double posted on accident

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Here for example, you will never get a licence (or maybe after some 5-10 year-old-period) if you lose your gun, even when it is stolen. Nobody cares, the fact is you owned and had to keep it in a place, where it can not be gotten by other people. If murder is made with the gun, you are also held accountible as somebody who helps with the murder, although the punishment is still 1-5 years.

Do they also hold you accountable if someone steals your car or carjacks you and then runs over or kills someone in a getaway attempt? I'm not saying leaving a gun laying around for a 5 and a 2 year old to access is anything but negligent, but I certainly don't think a gun owner should be held accountable if their weapon is stolen any more than a car owner should be held responsible for the same thing.

+6 more 
link   
This is tragic, but accidents happen like this happen. Life simply is not fair.

I fear this story will be sensationalized because there is clearly an anti-gun agenda taking place in the US and stories like this are used as propaganda to demonize the 2nd Amendment.

The real problem is the parents clearly did not practice gun safety, not an evil gun.

+3 more 
link   
The parents were idiots.

The situation is unfortunate.

Criminal charges are necessary.

The son is now probably messed up for life in certain regards, and everyone has to live with it.

Nobody to blame but the individuals involved.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
aaaaa, a .22 is NOT a toy gun. This news artical, the parints or both are stupid to think so.

(sorry, the Yahoo news artical called the .22 a "toy gun")

Its fine fo the kid to have a gun at that age, he just needs to be supervised and shown to respect a gun.
edit on 1-5-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I cannot believe how foolish and stupid the parents of those children are! To give a 5 year old the present of a rifle is absolutely ridiculous! And then to leave it about the house; loaded with no supervision etc. What did these parents do...graduate from moron school!

I really can't blame the 5 year old boy...he parents taught him and set the example...I feel a lot of compassion for him...he will need a lot of help growing up and dealing with all of this.

As you can probably tell...this just makes me so angry!!!!

edit on 1-5-2013 by caladonea because: add more

+3 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
The real problem is the parents clearly did not practice gun safety, not an evil gun.

I completely agree. I was taught to properly handle firearms from a young age, probably "too young" to most people here, but as a result I gained a healthy respect for it and understood the rules of gun safety. It actually kept me safe when visiting friends whose parents were more negligent about their firearm ownership. Leaving a loaded gun laying around the house where a 5 year old or 2 year old could get to it is no different than leaving a pot of boiling water on the stove in the kitchen. Things can and will go horribly wrong and end in tragedy.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Do they also hold you accountable if someone steals your car or carjacks you and then runs over or kills someone in a getaway attempt? I'm not saying leaving a gun laying around for a 5 and a 2 year old to access is anything but negligent, but I certainly don't think a gun owner should be held accountable if their weapon is stolen any more than a car owner should be held responsible for the same thing.

Cars and guns should not be compared. Car is mainly a vehicle. Gun is a weapon.

The laws are a bit more complicated. If gun was kept in a specific locker and it was picked (which is not easy), then you will not be held accountible. If it was just held hidden or somewhere open in the house, where anybody searching can find it , then you will be held accountible for carelessness. Gun owners are responsible for holding their guns in a place where others can not get access easily.

+2 more 
link   
The media buries the nation in stories of accidental deaths when there is a gun involved but completely ignores those who dies because a younger sibling somehow took a car out of gear or in one instance, electrocuted a friend in a bathtub with a laptop computer.

Once you see this kind of slant, then you understand that there is a definite and determined effort to shift public opinion based NOT on saving lives, but on fulfilling political ends.

link   
Five years old? Serious parenting failure here. I don't know what punishment could be worse than what they have to live with now. I cannot overemphasize that this was not the rifle's fault though. This was stupidity on the part of the parents. At 5 years old, I knew my dad had guns, but I had no access to them. My dad wasn't that stupid. I did get my first Daisy BB rifle at 7 though. I always had to ask one of my parents to get it for me when I wanted to shoot it until I was about 9. By 10 I was shooting .22s and .410s. 5 years is just too young for a real gun.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Who the hell gives a .22 caliber gun as a present to a five year old child and then lets them play with it (loaded)?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Cars and guns should not be compared. Car is mainly a vehicle. Gun is a weapon.

A car is mainly a weapon when in the hands of a criminal who just stole it. A gun is mainly a tool when in the hands of a law abiding citizen. If someone steals your car and runs someone over or otherwise hits and kills them while attempting to get away, how is that any different than someone stealing your gun and shooting someone? Innocent people are dead in both cases. The person who got shot is not "more dead" than the person who got run over.

The laws are a bit more complicated. If gun was kept in a specific locker and it was picked (which is not easy), then you will not be held accountible. If it was just held hidden or somewhere open in the house, where anybody searching can find it , then you will be held accountible for carelessness. Gun owners are responsible for holding their guns in a place where others can not get access easily.

Fine, are car owners responsible for subsequent public mayhem and death if they are carjacked or have their car stolen while they have their cardoor unlocked?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A) My heart and prayers go out to the family and the children. It is a sad situation.

With that said, I have photos of me learning how to shoot a .22 rifle at about the same at (5 years old.) I knew exactly where my father kept (keeps) his guns in the house. Unlocked.

I also knew, at an early early age, to NEVER 'play' with those guns. I learned that a gun is ALWAYS loaded, even when you think it's not.

And not one time in my 18 years of living in that house did I ever go get the rifle or shotgun out to play with or to even show my friends.

Again, this is a tragic situation. But I can already see how it will be blown up to support more gun limitations.

In other news: Every year children steal their parents cars and end up killing themselves by reckless driving. (Three kids, all under 16, were killed in my neighborhood a few years ago this way.) Are those parents blamed for having a car or for leaving the keys in a place where the children can get them?

(Although, yes, leaving a gun loaded is a bit different, and definitely careless. Again, I'm not defending the actions of the parents, but I am saying that this is a case that involves individuals and cannot be applied to all gun owners. Use it as a sad reminder as to why gun safety is so important, but not as a reason as to why guns are not important.)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
moar gunz!

According to a www.policeone.com survey 60+ % of LEO believe that mandating a gun safety class would do no good.

There are 0.8 privately owned guns for each an every human being in the US. More than double any other nation on Earth.

Freedom isn't free.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

My parents never had guns. My grandfather was a hunter and owned a business where he would carry a gun everyday just in case. He never had an accidental discharge.

When we were kids playing with BB guns, I can tell you if we flagged(pointed the gun at) someone even if accidental, we would get whipped and would not forget a valuable lesson, always assume the gun is loaded and NEVER point the gun at anything you don't intent to shoot. Very simple gun safety rules.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This is just dumb and blood on the hands of the NRA and all the gun lovers out there.

At the very least, why can't we have an age limit for a kid to own a gun??? Parents get in trouble for having their kid ride in the car without a seat belt...but here is a gun...go shoot your baby sister because your mind is too undeveloped to understand that there is no reset button in real life.

At least this didn't harm anyone outside of the family...this was the parents choice and their own fault. They have to live the rest of their lives knowing they killed their daughter and the little boy is most likely screwed up for life.

But hey, at least he got to practice his 2nd amendment right....right guys...he's a patriot.....absolutely disgusting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join