It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Obamacare’ Poll Finds 42% of Americans Unaware It’s Law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Star and flag for you Mask... in the long run people will see past the MSM and the right wing propaganda and see that the only thing that is bad about 'Obamacare' is that it will be good for the people. The people don't program the news though.

So people deserve corporate products which if they could afford they already would have, but NOOOOO now it's law.

FYI corporate products such as healthcare are not "human rights".

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOnlyAnswer
I honestly don't understand how an adult could 'not know' the ACA became the law of the land. I'd imagine one would have to, consciously, choose to not know.

We're doomed.

I can explain... I couldn't afford T.V., internet, hanging out with people, and it wasn't common discussion around work. From about August until a month and a half ago, I was cut off from anything. I just had to go look up an explanation on Reddit to see if it was mandatory for me to pay health insurance or not. Still not clear on it, but it seems I don't have to worry about getting insurance until January of next year?

It's kind of a messed up attitude that a lot of you seem to have. Just because you're "in the know" doesn't mean that it's exactly common knowledge. Nobody knocked on my door and said "Hey, Obamacare is in effect now". It's not like I ever even go to the hospital, or signs hanging all over town telling me this. It's not like I had to go pass a test to stay alive and they make sure I know the rules, like you have to do when you get your driver's license.

So go ahead, flame away and pump your egos up. Now I know, and only because of this thread. Sad, really.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Just wait till the tax kicks in on the IRS1040, all of the screamin and wailing
will rival, and then surpass the Obama worship at his first inauguration....

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

You know, that video is sad. Sad that we have let so many of our citizens down by not forcing our government to provide a 21st century education system. The whole "ObamaCare" thing is a joke. It's a distraction. If the CFR had decided to put McCain in office instead we'd be watching some video shot in the countryside with people lining up to get their free guns and crosses. Then the "left" would get all fired up and miss the truth as well.

Instead of asking what percentage of people knew ObamaCare got passed why don't we ask what percentage know the name of the Sec. of Treas. (It's Jack Lew btw) or know that Lew was an top economic advisor for Clinton when Glass-Steagall was repealed. Or that Jack Lew worked for Citigroup in a department that bet on the housing market to fail. Or that Lew recommended the automatic budget cuts (The dreaded Sequester). I mean, these are the real percentages of Unawake Citizens we need to be looking at. Forget this Left-Right Illusion they're presenting and let's get down to the nitty-gritty folks.
edit on 1-5-2013 by revswirl because: whoops

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by revswirl

'In the know'?

It came before and was decided upon by the Supreme Court.
I'm sorry you were shut off from the world, I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate that I was better than anybody.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

All you need to know about this is the fact that Congress, Senate, Obama, etc all these are not a part of this new act and will never be. Now why is that. If it's so great for the people why not them.... When you figure that out then you will see how absurd it is.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Why is anyone surprised about this? You could do this same poll for any legislation and probably get similiar results. Only about 55-65% of the adult population actually takes the time to vote (and that is for Presidential years). So you should expect right off the bat for the remaining 45-35% to not know what is going on. And then there will be a percentage of people who vote that don't continue to follow politics after a presidential election.

constitutes a bald faced lie as an entire swath of Americans who supposedly "don't have anything to worry about" watch in horror as their medical costs double, triple, or worse all thanks to the ACA.

All thanks to there being no public option in the ACA. The public option was really the only cost controlling mechanism there was, and Republican shot that down because they demonized it as "government takeover".

I think everyone who was very aware knew that costs would go up, I knew it...I'm sure Obama knew it and the Democrats knew it. But we also knew that it is the only way to get people to see how important a cost controlling public option would be. Without it, the insurance companies are free to increase their costs to protect (and actually increase) their profits due to them actually having to cover peoples medical costs (instead of kicking them off the plan or putting in a benefits cap). The public option would have been the only thing that would have solved that...it is still the only thing that will solve that.

So in a sense you are right...some people are going to get a lesson in "Love and Logic"...but I don't think it is the people who you think it is. It is going to be the people that were fear mongered into hating the public option. Once they see what happens and once it is explained that with a public option this wouldn't have happened...they will be screaming for the public option.

This was in fact the plan all along...Obama is playing the long game...the Republicans were playing for the short "win" of defeating the public option. Obama knows that we can never go back to the "old system" now...we either incorporate the public option into this new system...or we go with medicare for all. It's a win/win for liberals.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NONPOINT21

All you need to know about this is the fact that Congress, Senate, Obama, etc all these are not a part of this new act and will never be. Now why is that. If it's so great for the people why not them.... When you figure that out then you will see how absurd it is.

Yes, they are all part of it, in fact that included an amendment that states that all Congressmen and their staffers MUST get insurance plans from the exchanges.

This was an amendment introduced by a Republican (Chuck Grassley) as an attempted rub at Democrats, not thinking that they would want to purchase through the exchanges. Well, it backfired...the Democrats actually thought it was a great idea and included it. They didn't think it through very well though and now they are having to figure out how the federal government can continue to make it's contribution to the health insurance of the Congressmen and staffers like they always have with them purchasing through the exchange.

I'm sure you have seen an article from Politico saying they are trying to "exempt" themselves from Obamacare, but it isn't true...this is what they are talking about.

There is a very good article from the Washington Post that explains everything very well and shows how the Politico story is wrong.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
All I can say is, This will end in disaster!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

No my friend, this will most likely end in Universal Healthcare.

It's just sad that they way we have to get there is to "prove" to conservatives that there is no other way.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind

Originally posted by camaro68ss

No my friend, this will most likely end in Universal Healthcare.

It's just sad that they way we have to get there is to "prove" to conservatives that there is no other way.

how is Universal Healthcare better then this?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Kind of like building a two legged chair to "prove" everyone should only sit on the ground?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This has been Obama's since the beginning. The dems fought tooth and nail for it. Dark clouds are forming and people want to set this monstrosity in the lap of the republicans? It's beyond sad. I know, I know...... it's Bush's fault.

Eight years of medical school to be a doctor (more if you specialize). People want to pay them as little as possible because they are "entitled" to a doctor's labor? How about we allow for a second class of "doctor" with an associates degree to give "free" medical care. What? You don't want someone undertrained to give you medical assistance? But, it's free............

Who the hell is going to spend eight years in school, racking up MASSIVE debt, just to get enough money to live from paycheck to paycheck? Nobody. This isn't the birth of socialized medicine in America, it's not the birth of universal heath care in America, it's the death rattle of American medicine.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
This has been Obama's since the beginning. The dems fought tooth and nail for it. Dark clouds are forming and people want to set this monstrosity in the lap of the republicans? It's beyond sad. I know, I know...... it's Bush's fault.

Eight years of medical school to be a doctor (more if you specialize). People want to pay them as little as possible because they are "entitled" to a doctor's labor? How about we allow for a second class of "doctor" with an associates degree to give "free" medical care. What? You don't want someone undertrained to give you medical assistance? But, it's free............

Who the hell is going to spend eight years in school, racking up MASSIVE debt, just to get enough money to live from paycheck to paycheck? Nobody. This isn't the birth of socialized medicine in America, it's not the birth of universal heath care in America, it's the death rattle of American medicine.
All you are doing is perpetuating high college costs as well. As stated by my last post, just because you are a DR with a degree doesn't mean anything. TBH Student doctors are becoming very prevalent, and I have no problem with that at all, with the information and knowledge freely available today.

edit on 1-5-2013 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2013 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Um in countries with Universal health care doctors still get a decent wage.
Might not be as high as they get under your current system, but it's still not going to be minimum wage is it?

People should train to be a doctor because they want to help, not because they'll end up rich surely?

Coming from somewhere with universal health care I've always wondered - what happens to people without insurance in the US?
- And in the case of the Boston Bombing - do they get any say about going to the hospital, are some cheaper than others?
It honestly is quite alien for those of us in the rest of the world to think that people would be allowed to die in the richest country in the world - and I can't imagine they are - so if that is the case is it that all that far removed from universal health care?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by Maskander
ACA will give me the care I deserve.

You think "Government" is going to take care of you, and your fellow Americans?

Come on.

Sorry you don't feel like helping your fellow American's please try to find another country with a system as messed up as America's current healthcare system..

Wow...

The Sytem might be messed up, but Government didnt design this with YOU in Mind.

because most industrialized countries have done the right thing and move to universal healthcare.

Laughable.

Wait till your waiting for a Bed at the Hospital, like in the UK. A waiting list for sub-par care, with bad doctors.

I had to have a cat scan in Paris once while on vacation. I didn't have to wait at all. I tried to pay but they waved me off, handing me my CT film and notes for my Dr. back home. This was in the oldest hospital in Paris.

I didn't have any problem getting the care I needed, and I wasn't even a French citizen.

Don't tell me that they have it worse in the UK and other countries in Europe.

I had nothing but speedy, competent and friendly care. In fact, I would say that their ER wait times were far superior to that of my hospital here. My city isn't even 1/100th the size of Paris either.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Once they see what happens and once it is explained that with a public option this wouldn't have happened...they will be screaming for the public option.

No, they will be screaming for full repeal. Whether they get what they are screaming for or not depends entirely on the majority of voters. Again, elections have consequences...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Once they see what happens and once it is explained that with a public option this wouldn't have happened...they will be screaming for the public option.

No, they will be screaming for full repeal. Whether they get what they are screaming for or not depends entirely on the majority of voters. Again, elections have consequences...

I don't think you understand.

There can not just be a full repeal...something has to replace it. Republicans can't run on simply a platform of "repeal"...they tried that and they lost. They will have to come up with an actual replacement plan...and they don't have one...not one that any voter would vote for.

What people don't get about Obamacare is that it has changed our system, we can't go back to the old system...it is an impossibility without millions of people getting kicked off insurance FOREVER. So the only option is to move FORWARD (pun intended) with it...and that means grind out this original legislation, add in the public option, or go to Universal healthcare, which will most likely be medicare for all.

If you have another option...let's hear it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The irony is the ACA is supposedly Obama's greatest achievement and yet he's exempted himself from it. His administration is also handing out waivers like candy to all their union buddies. If you can't put 2 and 2 together just stick your head back in the sand. The ACA has nothing to do with providing free healthcare to those who need it and everything to do with controlling the American people.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It might be the law of the land, but most of it doesn't take effect until 2014, so that's probably why 42% aren't aware that this law is already on the books, because it hasn't affected them in any way yet,

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join