It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presents on a budget?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hi all

I'm curious about what your thoughts are regarding presents for birthdays or special occasions that do not cost a lot?

I'm 41 next month, and to be honest i'm not fussed about birthdays. I enjoy giving presents but i'm not a big one for people spending out on me. In fact i feel quite bad that people will fork out on just another day when they could be using that money for better things.

Maybe it's because i'm getting older, and my kids don't quite get it, but i've told them i'll be happy with a couple of plants from the pound shop, my last fruit trees from there are thriving, and i love them. Another idea was for my daughter to take some nice arty pictures of my musical instruments for the house, she takes far better pics than i even could. She sees it as a cop out from buying me something though.

Would you rather have something that cost nothing but means everything? Is it really that rare in society nowadays to give something thats handmade or that entails a little thought?

Do you have any good ideas for presents that don't entail spending a lot?

I'm not knocking people who love huge parties or expensive presents, i mean we all like a little pampering now and again, but i just feel very "meh" about the whole thing.

One of my fave presents ever was a blank book with a photo of the kids in it entitled, "We should write that down.". Thats what we used to say when one of us did anything funny, you know those bellybuster laugh moments.
So we write them down in this book. On a rainy day we get it out and can't help but laugh again at the old antics.

CX.

edit on 29/4/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I have set out to make all presents this year, but men and boys are difficult...I am currently experimenting with making slippers...not very imaginative, but it is also a good way of recycling old jumpers and other bits and pieces, I have an old suede coat that I am butchering for the soles. For women, much easier. I made two of my friends Rosaries using semi-precious stones, turned out really beautiful and they were both really pleased with them. For a little girl's birthday, I made a knitted bag, a bracelet and a necklace. I've also made knitted hot water bottles, hand made paper notebooks and small things like that. I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction out of making practical things, plus it keeps me busy and out of mischief

One of my favourite gifts, that I have received, is a mirror, which my friend decorated the frame with decoupage and tissue paper. It not only looks gorgeous,but, the work and time that she put into making something unique, just for me, tells me how much she loves me and thinks about me...I like that a lot, and that is what inspired me to get craftier myself.

Everything in the shops tends to be pretty much samey, or very expensive. The time and thought that goes into making a custom present, even if it turns out a little less than perfect, means so much more. At least to me it does. Just need to figure out what I can make for the fellers. Any suggestions?

edit on 29-4-2013 by KilgoreTrout because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I have always cherished things that were made... not bought. Just feels like more effort has gone into the present.

I make things as gifts. One Christmas I made everyone a christmas ball with sparkles on it with their names... took me friggin ages to do but everyone has one with their name on.
this is the one I made for my Daughter, I have to fix it cos some of the pins have fallen out and the ribbon that connects it to the tree has fallen out. lol it is at least 15 years old so has held up quite well.

I also make cards out of pressed flowers...I just squash em into my books with tissues ... easy to make, but home made gifts do take time to make... quicker to buy something.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

what about knitting beanies? I did that for my Son; even knittted it in 'camo' wool cos he is into hunting and fishing.

I am not the best at knitting beanies but it turned out ok and he wears it. lol

oh and the other thing is knitting blankets with lots of fluffy wool (takes ages) but everytime I knit one for myself (for my bed) usually someone really wants it, yanno...
so I am knitting another one for me and I am going to hide it.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Something self-made is always priceless.

I don't know if learning to knit at 41 is such a great idea for presents,

but using your established skills to make something is.

One of my fave presents ever was a blank book with a photo of the kids in it entitled, "We should write that down.". Thats what we used to say when one of us did anything funny, you know those bellybuster laugh moments. So we write them down in this book. On a rainy day we get it out and can't help but laugh again at the old antics.

Good idea. Keep going.

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

I make things as gifts. One Christmas I made everyone a christmas ball with sparkles on it with their names... took me friggin ages to do but everyone has one with their name on.

Great idea.
I bet it lasts longer than any other decoration, and they are more likely to look after it too.

As for boys and men gifts, yes you are right...we are a difficult lot to make for.

Just off the top of my head, maybe a charm of some sort to tie on a favourite knife? Manly colours, something with leather and pretty indestructable?

A bookmark, again in manly colours if he reads. I say manly colours, there are guys out there that won't be seen in anything but blue black and brown lol, but then again you'll know your guy best. I love purples, electric blues and most greens.

Any of your guys play instruments like ukes or mandolins? I made these straps from cheap belts from the pound shop a while back, added a bead for effect and it saved me a load of money, plus it has the look i want.

I'll have a think.....

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by CX

Something self-made is always priceless.

I don't know if learning to knit at 41 is such a great idea for presents,

but using your established skills to make something is.

Taught myself a couple of years back so i could make stuff to keep the kids warm in winter. They just place their order according to what color they want lol.

Here was my first ever attempt.....

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Double post.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Nice scarf!

You could use your double post to show us some more recent work!

A few good tips here: Best gifts for a tight budget

edit on 29/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: tips

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I love homemade gifts. They mean so much more than a store bought gift.

I make my parents a calendar every Christmas, using software that lets me pick and choose the pics. The pics, of course, are of the grandkids. I did it when my son was born, and now my parents expect that every year. Mom even reminds me come November that I can use any of her pics to make the calendar. Ha!

What about getting one of those picture frames that holds multiple pics, and putting the favorite pics inside? I had someone do this for me once, and I still treasure that gift.

Make a cd with the person's favorite music to listen to in the car? Another fun present.

Loved your musical instrument straps. Very creative!

By the way...go to pinterest. Theres a gazillion ideas there.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Must be a typo??

I think it was meant to be a 'Hot water bottle 'cover' ??

Gave me a giggle anyway!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I love making mason jar lanterns for presents. Just fill the bottom of the jar with some decorative stone/glass gems/sand, add a candle and wrap some wire for hanging around the top. If you want to get fancy, use the decorative stone and floating candles so water can be added to the jar. (I buy the stone/glass at our local dollar store)

Concrete stepping stones are very easy to make also. Use an old round non-stick cake pan and fill up with some Quikrete. You can use some of the decorative rock or glass on top, old metal decorative kitchen trivets for designs, or make your own by cutting out designs using styrofoam. Just make sure anything that comes into contact with the concrete is oiled for easy release (cooking oil works fine!) Also anything you want to mold into the top will need to be weighted down. While you have that concrete mixed up, use fun shaped candy dishes to make candle holders!

We made this one last weekend (had leftover concrete when we made a planter, wanted to play with black concrete dye)

Around the holidays make sparkle balls! Not a gift for everyone, most people think it sounds trashy up until the time it is lit up. Then everyone wants one. (I made about 20 this past year!!!)

One I made for New Years Eve using glitter around the cup rims.

If anyone wants directions, let me know.

For guys a few things off the top of my head. If you like to grow things, grow hot peppers and make hot sauce for gifts. (yummy). If you are into home brewing, make a batch with custom funny labels. And the most surprising, home made hand cream for the hard working man. It's been my experience they won't tell you they like it, but boy do they ever use it!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
We have an awesome dollar store near us, where we often get cool little things for each other. A little gift bag, along with some of these items in it, and we all enjoy it. Granted, you really have to know the person to get the right things.

If you have any kind of artistic talent, always a good gift. I do photo-realistic portrait drawings, and sometimes do that for gifts. Takes a lot of time though, so this is actually a BIG gift, even though all it cost me was a piece of vellum paper.

For other couples, we've often done a little gift certificate for a restaurant and movie, along with a promise of babysitting, so they can have a date night. That always makes a good gift. Doesn't even have to cover the whole meal and movie price, but just gives them a good excuse to do it.

Anything that shows time and thoughtfulness is way preferable to just more "stuff". I have plenty of "stuff", so it irks my wife when I ask for things that are more useful (like things we'd buy anyhow, as presents)...but that's just me being frugal.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
reply to post by CX

I have set out to make all presents this year, but men and boys are difficult...

edit on 29-4-2013 by KilgoreTrout because: (no reason given)

Make them a slingshot. Very cheap. Of course try keeping in mind the mental (Age) state of the guy involved. Most men are still kids at heart.

Lots of how-to videos out there as well, though I wouldn't go as far as this guy.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yep! Not big on gift receiving and find that holidays are just kind of distasteful due to heavy consumerism. We keep it all on the down low now where we may get one thing that we wouldn't normally buy but the rest is pure sentiment. My kids and I are all on the same page and the year that we decided that enough was enough, we actually gave away the money we'd normally spend to a very close family who was struggling financially due to unemployment. Was the best Christmas morning ever where we were all grinning just knowing that we gave them one month's easing of pressures. Imagine kids coming out to just stockings filled with their favorite candies and nothing under the tree and they were totally happy. My kids would be considered weird by others but I think they're awesome.

So, no...you're not alone. There are others who find more value in sentiment, enjoying family and very personal and handcrafted gifts. We each still do get one gift of something that the other really, really wants but the major focus is spending time together. That is everything. A bunch of stuff piled on? Well, that just ends up in a landfill later.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia
Must be a typo??

I think it was meant to be a 'Hot water bottle 'cover' ??

Gave me a giggle anyway!

No. I actually take redundant hot water bottles, cut them into fine strips and then knit them into galoshes.

(Yes, as you correctly surmised, it was a typo
Always happy to amuse...intentionally or otherwise
)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Make them a slingshot. Very cheap. Of course try keeping in mind the mental (Age) state of the guy involved. Most men are still kids at heart.

Lots of how-to videos out there as well, though I wouldn't go as far as this guy.

That, Sir, is a truly inspired idea. And no, I won't.

to you.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I've just been searching for tutorials, and it is all very easy and simple, and therefore, will make a nice little project for me and my son to do together, we can make one each, then find a nice open space to go and play, develop the skill. Love it. Thank you so much for the inspiration. Right up our street, a natural step up from our weekly Nerf battles.

I think we are going to have a lot of fun with this.

Responsible fun, mind you...

top topics

join