It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Grammar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hopefully this is right forum. This thread is about English grammar and how I would like to improve my grammar. I never really paid attention in English class and it shows in my writing and typing. That's why I would like to start a thread for myself and anyone else interested in improving their grammar. I have discovered several websites that teach any grade level of English; as well in very interactive and humorous ways.
The Oatmeal Grammar Comics
20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Makes
Character Help for writing
Free Rice
Literacy Zone
Top 10 Rules of Punctuation
Top 10 Tips for Great Writing
Ambiguous Words

Hopefully these websites offer useful tips for English. I have read a few that commentators have said was extremely useful. Which I hope is truthful. Currently I'm very busy and do not have time to set-up a perfect thread. But I would love for this to be a great way to help improve my English grammar.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Hay thanks for the thread, I failed English in high school and like you it shows big time. I have been wanting to learn how to improve my grammar and spelling. I have found reading a lot has helped me come a long way from where I was. =)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

Just pick up this little book. It will fit in your pocket and has more of the useful information that you
seek than any other book of its kind. It is concise and to the point with no fluff or filler.
Problem solved for less than ten dollars...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Thanks, I had put together some information for myself, before I started college in my early 50's. Lord knows I needed help, especially, as long as this old lady had been out of school. In fact, even though I graduated with honers, I still don't feel as if I am all the way there...yet. So, I will definitely be looking at your submission of links.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
And with this links I hope to make better use of my England words.

Funny thing is, as much as I try to be correct in my use of the language (and I know I fail miserably) I often wonder how much longer grammar will be used in common language. We seem to be heading towards a language that is implied by context alone, and not by the rules of it's use.

The apostrophe for instance. She's surely going out the door. She is as likely to be misused as not used.

Dang kids, get offa my langauge!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I don't think the comma needs to go away. I think it needs to adapt to its current meaning. When a writer wants the reader to reflect, he should be able to use the comma, except where clear rules of grammar already call for a period. In this way the writer choose the reflection points based on the way he/she intended the reader to read the story. If I say something this profound, and I want you to reflect on it should I not be able to use it where it best suits what I was trying to say?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

You, sir, are great.

Thank you for posting these links. You now have me trying to type as grammatically correct as possible, being that this is a thread regarding grammar. I just got done reading two of those lengthy articles, and I can bet the mistakes I've made in this post don't reflect it (This sentence doesn't even seem correct).

Those articles are making me feel stupid.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Thanks for the compliment amigo!

Don't feel worried about not having perfect grammar. I doubt a majority of us are professional writers. But I hope the links are very useful for you and anyone else interested in improving their grammar.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
just happened to find this website: UsingEnglish.com
have fun!

top topics

join