It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noam Chomskey.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I was just curious if anyone has ever read this man? I am currently doing a paper which is due tommorow -- given 2 months ago ! -- on his book " THE UMBRELLA OF U.S. POWER "; it's very short and concise.

www.martinlutherking.de...

Rezensionen:

The United States government often invokes a moral imperative to honor human rights as justification for its foreign-policy decisions. But, according to Noam Chomsky, America's actual track record falls far short of the principles iterated in 1948's Universal Declaration of Human Rights--the accepted international standard. This slim but passionate volume lists case after case in which the United States has provided aid to grossly abusive regimes--among which Chomsky includes Israel and Indonesia--and examples of how the American government seeks to limit the human rights of its own citizens. With equal criticism for Democrat and Republican administrations, The Umbrella of U.S. Power refuses to remain silent about "the things it 'wouldn't do' to mention" as it works to expose the contradictions between what government leaders tell their people and what they actually do. --Ron Hogan

So far my essay is very short, lol.

This is what i have gotten down so far, and it's due in like 10 hours !

As it were and as it stands currently on an international and domestic scale, the U.S., according to Chomskey and vehemently lauded through a concise brittle of egoism by
itself, is a sociopolitical superpower; one could also conclude the U.S. has no spatiotemporal extension. A sort of spurious child of the xenophobic clan God YAWEH; a
jelous and often angered anthromorphic entity demanding utter obedience by it's subjects and an outright onerous attitude towards other cults and followings.

lol.

Deep

[edit on 4-11-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
hehe, I had to use the dictionary to understand what you wrote. Damn, you use really big words

I've read several Chomsky books, they are briliant, but very very complex. They contain tons of info on almost every major event on this planet. Sadly, I havent read the book you mentioned.

If it is of any help, here is a nice archive of his work:

www.zmag.org...

Oh and expect republicans to bite your head off, they are not very fond of Chomsky

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
ahhhhhhhhhhh

This is as far as i have gone! THREE MORE PAGES TO GO !

Noam Chomskey: The Umbrella of U.S. Power

As it were and as it stands currently on an international and domestic scale, the U.S., according to Chomskey and vehemently lauded through a concise brittle of egoism by itself, is a sociopolitical superpower; and one could also conclude the U.S. has no spatiotemporal extension and is a paradigm, par excellence, of the perfect society. A sort of spurious child of the xenophobic clan God YAWEH; a jelous and often angered anthromorphic diety demanding utter obedience by it's subjects and an outright onerous attitude towards other cults and followings usualy regurgitated in a contradictory and apocryphalic manner. A child who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to it's father will and surpassed even it's xenophobia and abhorent attitude to every "right" minded person; a child whom is quite adamant in the belief of "picking and choosing" select passages from scripture, in this case: "The Universal Delcaration of Human Rights", and using it as a weapon against the oncoming "insurgency" of non-western relativism. Noam Chomskey takes this "child" and often the pedagogical insight and dogmatism accrued thereunto towards non-western nations as an act "reeking of hypocrisy"; these, more often than not, being the vehement and hypocrtical nature of the world super power to invoke sanctions on countries showing an utter disregard to human rights, whilst committing, if not the most discreetly brutal, economic warfare on this planet, vis-a-vis "Reaganite Sanction Threats". The book demands an extremely informed -- of international affairs -- background for the reader, and is no par short of assuming that said circumstance/event is well known and habituated in the mind of the readers. The erection of quandary, bar none, bears a heavy load onto readers poorly educated in the field of politics and social sciences, but does intice further speculative enquiry. To those inclined to philophical terminology, we cany justy assume a style of " argumentum ad verecundiam" inherent in the book; i found it, in utter dismay, the constant bombardment of criminologists, human rights agencies, and other "intellects" to be mildy comforting, but, as it were, the ligitimacy of these said men and women have dire implications on the merit of the material and accusations being convey; accusations that seemed quite oblique and require one to take a "grand" leap of faith to justly assume, for example, that racial discrimination was being partaken by the U.S. goverment's "war on drugs" and quite evidently left one with no justifications or even a sociopyscholigcal discourse as to "why" and leaving arguments pertaining to "hang dry" and leaving readers to make assumptions based on selective conotations.
Was this book "good" or "bad", well, is a matter of semantics.
What do you think ?

Paperclip,

This is the first book of his i have read, it was okay...

lol.

I'm gonna go through that site though, after, i don't want to lose my train of thought on this current piece.

Deep

[edit on 4-11-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Noam Chomskey is a genius with an excellent, articulate, intelligent, well researched, interesting and, in my opinion, a highly accurate 'take' on the world and why it is the way it is......which is why the political/corporate 'class' hate him so much.

He sees through their BS and calmly and rationally makes his points.

I find it hard to believe we allow such a genuinely independant, articulate and educated alternative view to escape the so-called free speech debate in our media.

Even those that do not agree with the guy (in my experience those who have read very little of his work and who have been told by others claiming to) should surely be puzzled that this man is practically never on anything to discuss the issues of the day.

It's also true that his books aren't the easiest read!

Having seen the man on TV a few times I think it's fair to say he interviews very well.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yes, Chomsky is greate!

According to me the basic message are that US gov policys is hypocritical and that the policys have been the same regardless whos in the office.

Here you can get some audiofiles if you are tired of reading.

www.radio4all.net...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yeah, i've been hearing his name for years but never paid to much mind. It's a pity in a deMOCKracy such as ours, the truely articulated minds are left in the back seat.

This is a 101 Political sciences class, just an introductory, and already i am being bombarded with so much information on U.S. policy; it's disgusting how ignorant the west is !

He sees through their BS and calmly and rationally makes his points.

As i have heard, i can only judge him through this SHORT book. I'll try to get through those links and see what i can gather of his opinion.

Thanks.

Deep

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
it's disgusting how ignorant the west is !

Yes, right, all western countrys get a fare share of dissident

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
What i meant was: I can't believe how illinformed we are of "true" world affairs that take place in dark alleys.

I always had a singular vision of Clinton that was utterly chided by this book. I can't look at the man the same way.

Deep

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
make sure you spell it right, Zero. Its 'Chomsky', not 'Chomskey'.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I recently finished reading his book called "Hegemony or Survival". I thought it was a very interesting read that details US foreign policy that clearly shows the inherent hypocrisy. One of the most amusing passage was where he breaks down the term "terrorist" and comes to the conclusion that by its definition the US can be considered a terrorist state

I also saw a documentary called "Manufacturing Consent" which is basically a videotape of one of his speeches. Gotta admit he speaks like a robot and just goes on and on. I think he can literally stand on a soapbox forever and not even realize he died. He also has his own website with a wealth of articles and transcripts of his speeches if anyone is interested.

www.chomsky.info...

Hegemony or Survival

Manufacturing Consent

new topics

top topics

join