It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone who knows New Orleans well, need some travel advice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarOReilly
Forget the talk of Hurricanes. If you want the drink that will knock you on your fanny go to Snug Harbor and get a Typhoon. Or if you want to be a tourist go to Bourbon St and get a Handgrenade or a Jester. You literally only need one.

And the WWII museum is an excellent museum. Perhaps it's boring for those that lack understanding of its import or what's really being shown there. It's absolutely worth seeing.

My staff get loaded on hand grenades when they are in NO, and live to hate the next day. I don't drink though, and couldn't remember the name of the drink.

And as far as your rude comment about the museum... My first degree is in ancient history, my grandfather and great uncle both served in WW2. I grew up in a ship building town amidst constant tales of the war. I know perfectly well the magnitude of what happened. If you read my comment, I said it was not up to par for a national museum. All of the exhibits are behind glass and involve copious amounts of reading. Not fun activities or interactive for kids. They could have easily made more dioramas and first person displays to draw patrons in. There were rooms dedicated to uniforms, miniature versions of the fleets, etc. nothing that demonstrated the hell those men and women went through. No emotion like at the holocaust museum. I felt that they could have done so much more.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja

Originally posted by RadarOReilly
Forget the talk of Hurricanes. If you want the drink that will knock you on your fanny go to Snug Harbor and get a Typhoon. Or if you want to be a tourist go to Bourbon St and get a Handgrenade or a Jester. You literally only need one.

And the WWII museum is an excellent museum. Perhaps it's boring for those that lack understanding of its import or what's really being shown there. It's absolutely worth seeing.

My staff get loaded on hand grenades when they are in NO, and live to hate the next day. I don't drink though, and couldn't remember the name of the drink.

And as far as your rude comment about the museum... My first degree is in ancient history, my grandfather and great uncle both served in WW2. I grew up in a ship building town amidst constant tales of the war. I know perfectly well the magnitude of what happened. If you read my comment, I said it was not up to par for a national museum. All of the exhibits are behind glass and involve copious amounts of reading. Not fun activities or interactive for kids. They could have easily made more dioramas and first person displays to draw patrons in. There were rooms dedicated to uniforms, miniature versions of the fleets, etc. nothing that demonstrated the hell those men and women went through. No emotion like at the holocaust museum. I felt that they could have done so much more.

All I saw in your comment were the words boring and hate, both in reference to a very fine museum. Everything doesn't need to be interactive.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
idk, I spent way too much on records when I went in 89. Tower Records didn't know the value of items they had so I went a little overboard. heh-heh. I guess that is gone now.

Be sure to visit the street artists. Good conversations can be had and they know all kinds of information. Better than any tour guide.

As for keeping an eye out for things, yes NOLA can be bad like anywhere can be bad. Be aware of your surroundings as usual. The unease for me came from seeing walls topped with shards of glass poking out of the cement here and there and realizing that it isn't because of odd decoration habits.

I was there three weeks after Katrina making a delivery of advertising inserts to the newspaper. I wished I hadn't seen the city during that phase. Spoils the memory of my previous trip there in 89.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The Columns is a nice place to stay. Step out front and take the Trolley into the FQ. Can take cabs too. It's not far.

Been to NO many times (probably 25 or so) and never have been mugged, robbed or raped.

LIsten to Jazz, take walking tours, shop and eat.

It's a great time!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
The Columns is a nice place to stay. Step out front and take the Trolley into the FQ. Can take cabs too. It's not far.

Been to NO many times (probably 25 or so) and never have been mugged, robbed or raped.

LIsten to Jazz, take walking tours, shop and eat.

It's a great time!

Don't say trolley to the locals. It's a streetcar. ;-)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Sorry I'm seeing this so late .
I go to New Orleans regularly .
I didn't go for a few years after my mom died,and that was when Katrina hit .
The entire ...flavor of new Orleans is decidedly different since Katrina .
Locals left .Foreigners bought establishments.
Old timers there,consider anyone who wasn't there for Katrina,an outsider ,even if you were born there .

I do not like all the bourbon st fanfare .
It's nuts when the Saints win is all I can say .It's much much more commercial now . It bothers me a bit ,but what can you do .
Staying over the bridge ,of you have limited tome and no car,is not a good idea.
That area is called Algiers,and locals can be wary of strangers .

I do agree,places like two sisters are over rated.Some of them are haunted however .
I've had some odd experiences in places like Antoines . Also,some of these places,if not diligent,will habe roaches you can put a sadlle on .
However,this is not the case with Brennans .
I highly recommend the breakfast brunch . Absolutely get the bananas foster.
They invented it,as well as oysters rockafeller .

If you want witchy or voodoo stuff ,I can tell you where to go for either,as both exist there.
You can get readings at the more touristy places like Marie laveaus house of voodoo ,but forgo that,and go visit her graves .
She has two . One in st Louis one ,one is st Louis two .
The cemeteries outside the FQ ,are in sad disarray now. Crumbling tombs .
Very sad .
I'm glad I saw it all when it was all intact .

And yes,there is crime ,but just mind yourself.I've never had a problem.

I suggest taking the trolley by the river, as it rides into the garden district ,with all the amazing houses.

Do try cafe du monde ,acme oyster bar ,mothers ,for food.

I know of a hotel just outside the FQ ,that's haunted. It has no pool tho,which is a selling point for some.
A lot of bands stay there because its off the beaten path ,and quirky . They have voodoo themed drinks,and a voodoo room there.
Let me find the name

Here it is. It's Johnny Depps fave pls e to stay in NO
www.ihhotel.com...

I also suggest going to the shaved ice place.
Let me find the name. And yes,Tipatinas was the place back in the day . No more .
Johnny Depps old clun partner from LA opened a club down there called The Shim Sham club ,but I think its gone now .
House of Blues is the big music place now .

Here it is Hansens sno bliz .Most awesome shaved ice ever
It ,like Tipatinas,is on Tschopatoulis st .
It's pronounced CHOP A TOLISS

It's worth the trek
www.snobliz.com...

Also Commanders Palace has a lovely brunch on Sundays . There is also a quaint cemetery across the st from it

Go early for the cemetery .It's closes early on weekends .
You can also find Ann Rices old house is the Garden District ,and someone is always filming a movie down there now.
Nick Cage ,Jason Stathem ,are two I've seen down there walking around .

If you want more,just ask. I want a house down there actually. Like some ppl do Florida ,and go back and forth .
I want new Orleans .I kind of wanted a place in Algiers actually .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
PS,Hurricanes are gross .
Like bad sugary mixer with watered down booze .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join