It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Case Of New Bird Flu Found Outside China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

First Case Of New Bird Flu Found Outside China

www.wwno.org

Public health authorities in Taiwan have identified the first human case of a new type of bird flu seen outside China.

The development, while not unexpected, points to the potential spread of a new type of bird flu that has, according to the World Health Organization, sickened at least 108 people and been implicated in 22 deaths.

...a 53-year-old man who worked in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China.

He became ill three days after returning to Taiwan from China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
focustaiwan.tw
online.wsj.com
www.chinapost.com.tw
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Woman Crashes Shanghai Press Conference for Answers on Dad with H7N9
U.S. Hospitals Told to Be on Lookout for H7N9 Bird Flu
H7N9 Bird Flu Mysteries
U.S. Hospitals Told to Be on Lookout for H7N9 Bird Flu

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"First case" outside of China - in Taiwan, 3 hospital staff infected after contact, containment measures started. If they're telling us this much - the truth is way worse.

Then there's the mystery of the 4 year-old carrier from Beijing who never gets included in China's official count. Seems to me he was diagnosed in Taiwan then shipped back to China.

Authorities still blame the birds, but the fact is, only 0.00081% of birds tested were positive (39 out of 48,000) - no way do those numbers explain outbreaks all over the country. The latest tests fudge the numbers by including "environmental sources" like soil and water to up the positive findings.

No one knows (or they're not telling) where this virus really came for or how it's spreading.

All we know for sure is that H7N9 was first isolated in turkeys in 1988 in Minnesota (USA), then spread in domestic poultry (trade) and wild birds (migrations). The first known H7N9 human infections reported in China at the end of March, 2013.

www.wwno.org

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

"First case" outside of China - in Taiwan, 3 hospital staff infected after contact, containment measures started. If they're telling us this much - the truth is way worse.

Then there's the mystery of the 4 year-old carrier from Beijing who never gets included in China's official count. Seems to me he was diagnosed in Taiwan then shipped back to China.

Authorities still blame the birds, but the fact is, only 0.00081% of birds tested were positive (39 out of 48,000) - no way do those numbers explain outbreaks all over the country. The latest tests fudge the numbers by including "environmental sources" like soil and water to up the positive findings.

No one knows (or they're not telling) where this virus really came for or how it's spreading.

All we know for sure is that H7N9 was first isolated in turkeys in 1988 in Minnesota (USA), then spread in domestic poultry (trade) and wild birds (migrations). The first known H7N9 human infections reported in China at the end of March, 2013.

www.wwno.org

I’ve noticed you have posted a few articles on the “new but old” bird flu. Do you have an interest in epidemiology and how are you involved or is it a hobby?

Also, how do you think this is going to compare to the SARS outbreak?

It seems as if it has already mutated to a person to person infection.

edit on 24-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

The fact that the health workers were infected says a lot, this one worries me a lot!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hmm, very suspect. Health workers infected? I'd say this is human to human contact.
I wonder what the incubation period is for this virus. 3 weeks maybe.

Also, the more people of different genetic diversities it affects, the more it mutates.
I wonder how many people travelled from china with this virus incubating in them in the past few weeks.
We already know CDC has warned hospitals to look out for this virus.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Flyzoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I’ve noticed you have posted a few articles on the “new but old” bird flu. Do you have an interest in epidemiology and how are you involved or is it a hobby?

It's a "special interest" that arose from my own diagnosis with 'fibromuscular dysplasia' - I started tracking 'fibrosis' in numerous "modern" chronic diseases - followed up on the immuno-histo chemistry, which led me to the new flu virus mutations and it grew from there. ...We are all one and it ain't just spiritual.

Also, how do you think this is going to compare to the SARS outbreak?

Don't think it does really - especially given the history of H7N9 and H1N1 in the USA - seems more like H1N1 in terms of origin, genetics, evolution and global spread.

It seems as if it has already mutated to a person to person infection.

Person-to-person seems still very limited - although who knows? There probably are huge numbers of asymptomatic carriers. Right now though, I'm most concerned about those pesky environmental reservoirs (soil, water, ?).

.....I'd say H7N9 is loose in the world, just like H5N1 and H1N1 - we have to learn to live with it and count on our ability to adapt. Forget meds - the bugs are way better at adaptation and mutation than we are - they turn our chemicals into food - and we can't keep up.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The fact that the health workers were infected says a lot, this one worries me a lot!

My bad - can't believe I wrote that!!! IN FACT: 3 staff were reported as having symptoms after contact. Altho - negative test results do not rule out the possibility that tests only show positive at certain stages in the disease.

3 hospital staff show symptoms after H7N9 contact
2013/04/24 20:49:03

Taipei, April 24 (CNA) Three hospital personnel have developed respiratory symptoms after coming into contact with Taiwan's first confirmed case of H7N9 avian flu, the Central Epidemic Command Center said Wednesday.

….As of 8 a.m. Wednesday, Taiwan had reported 129 suspected H7N9 cases, 128 of which have been ruled out as H7N9 infections, said Chou Jih-haw, deputy director-general of the Centers for Disease Control under the Department of Health.

The center said it had informed the World Health Organization and China of Taiwan's first H7N9 case earlier in the day, Chou said.

edit on 24/4/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nice job of sourcing and explanation of points made within your post.

I'm curious, are you aware of any of the individuals that were diagnosed and subsequently recovered- Is there any evidence of post contraction immunity?

S&F

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This flu is starting to look very scary. They are saying it is one of the most deadly strains ever..

"This is an unusually dangerous virus for humans," Keiji Fukuda, WHO's assistant director-general for health security, said Wednesday. "This is definitely one of the most lethal influenza viruses that we've seen so far."

Another worrying thing is that they can't seem to pin down it's source with any certainty.

WHO said last week 80,000 birds had been tested with only 40 having positive results for H7N9, leading scientists wonder what else could be responsible.
I wonder if they are testing rats, which would probably be a worse case scenario if they are carriers, aside from human to human itself. Either way, this is setting off alarm bells far more so than the swine flu or SARS...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

After I clicked on your thread, said to myself"Taiwan" and sure enough, almost felt like a dejevous.

So, even screaming from the roof tops about it not coming from the fowl does not slow the propaganda.

This will continue to spread. Will it be the genocidal strain? Doubtful as it is more likely something that is being monitored for contamination rates.

As I have said before, this does not feel right to me, it feels like human intervention and controlled experiment.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

Hmm, very suspect. Health workers infected? I'd say this is human to human contact.
I wonder what the incubation period is for this virus. 3 weeks maybe.

See retraction above - symptoms only after contact - no confirmation. ...Yes - looks like 10 days to 3 weeks, but no confirmation on that either. Can't be determined until they find the source(s) of infection.

Also, the more people of different genetic diversities it affects, the more it mutates.
I wonder how many people travelled from china with this virus incubating in them in the past few weeks.

I'd say it more likely travelled from the US to China over the past 2+ decades. ....H7N9 was first isolated in turkeys in 1988 in Minnesota (USA), then spread in domestic poultry (trade) and wild birds (migrations). The first known H7N9 human infections were reported in China at the end of March, 2013. Until now, no one has ever tested for H7N9. So we just don't know.

Yup - U.S. Hospitals Told to Be on Lookout for H7N9 Bird Flu.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Oh CRAAP!

That incubation period is really dangerous.
edit on 24-4-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog81

I'm curious, are you aware of any of the individuals that were diagnosed and subsequently recovered- Is there any evidence of post contraction immunity?

Thanks and great question. ...I would assume so but haven't looked. ...People over 60 are most severely affected and therefore most likely to be diagnosed, so most likely there is a lot of immunity in ours, China's and other populations.

Another question: H7N9 gets deep into the lungs causing severe disease BUT is it the flu or secondary infections that kill? (I'm thinking secondary but haven't checked.)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

GREAT points and info. You forgot your links, so here are mine:

Kinda makes you wonder why they're calling it "bird" flu, doesn't it?

O'Leary said investigators had tested 80,000 birds for the flu, but only 40 tested positive and none of those was sick. (0.0005%)

"This is unusual in that we haven't been finding sick birds," he said.

WHO: H7N9 virus 'one of the most lethal so far'

As the death toll from China's bird flu outbreak rose to 22 with news of another victim in eastern Zhejiang Province, the World Health Organization warned the H7N9 virus was one of the most lethal that doctors and medical investigators had faced in recent years.

"This is an unusually dangerous virus for humans," Keiji Fukuda, WHO's assistant director-general for health, security and the environment told a news conference in Beijing Wednesday.

"We think this virus is more easily transmitted from poultry to humans than H5N1," …."This is definitely one of the most lethal influenza viruses that we have seen so far."

(H7N9 watch) Experts unable to trace bird flu path
(04-24 13:18)

Experts from the World Health Organisation ….after they made a five-day study visit to Beijing and Shanghai ….say there is no evidence yet that H7N9 can be passed from person to person. But they conceded that they know little about the virus. The experts added that it's not clear how many people have been infected by the virus but failed to show any symptoms.

edit on 24/4/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yep. Deja Vu all over again.

So, even screaming from the roof tops about it not coming from the fowl does not slow the propaganda.

Nope. 'Cuz one of the main goals is to destroy all mom-and-pop food producers all over the world and pave the way for global corporate control of everyones' food supply.

This will continue to spread. Will it be the genocidal strain? Doubtful as it is more likely something that is being monitored for contamination rates.

As I have said before, this does not feel right to me, it feels like human intervention and controlled experiment.

Nope, does NOT feel right. This strain is killing people over 60 and the chronically ill, aka the "useless eaters." Coincidental? You decide.

When the dust settles, the "useless eaters" sucking up GDP and other supports will be wiped out, mom-and-pop food producers will be wiped out - global agri-business corporations will have taken over every world market worth having, and global corporations will be sucking up even more profits and running all our governments with an even tighter rein than ever before in human history.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Hummm, I had not thought about that angle on all the culling.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I have to tell you that I REALLLLY appreciate the work you are doing to bring this forward. Do you have a professional blog yet? Please PM me to link if possible, I have used 'your' information for years when i am looking for accurate, non fear mongering (although most of your info scares the poop out of me) heads up on the real issue that have affected my family. we have had some close calls over the years but forethought and information can really make the difference between life and death when it comes to the falderrah being perpetuated against humanity.

In case you do not hear it enough, Thank you.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
108 people sickened, 22 deaths.....doesn't sound too bad to be honest.

The dead probably had underlying health conditions too.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
108 people sickened, 22 deaths.....doesn't sound too bad to be honest.

The dead probably had underlying health conditions too.

But, that's a 20% fatality rate.
edit on 24-4-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank YOU. ...No, no blog and I won't start one. Can't deal with all the hack attacks when I start shooting my mouth off. And considering the legal persons I criticize, me and my computer could never survive the "attention." This all is just a 'special interest' and hobby - I'm sick, retired, elderly and on a fixed and limited income. Not that they care.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join