It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Start A Reading Circle!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Stephen King was my gateway into horror

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
reply to post by Tindalos2013

That looks interesting.

I don't know if this is just for non-fiction,if it's not-The Taking by Dean Koontz,Dolores Claiborne+Bag of Bones+It by Stephen King.
Perfume by Patrick Suskind,and for sheer entertainment if you like horror novels-Havock Junction by Joe Donnely.

Read them all, except for The Taking. I'll have to check that one out.

I love the older Stephen King. I can remember reading Pet Semetary in school when I was in first grade....I got in a LOT of trouble for that stunt...but it was worth it.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

A shame I don't have enough money to buy the book you guys choose to take part in this (spent all my money on other books)
I absolutely would have loved to though. I guess I'll just have to be content with reading the discussion and hope its successful. XD If this is successful and theres another I'm definitely joining in. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I love reading!!
I think I have over 400 books on my iPad at last count
Give me a day or 2 I'll come up with a list
Most are sci fi and alien contact books fiction

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Since it's Sunday now I cast my vote for Watcher for the first book to read and discuss. I have not read any books written by Robert Sawyer so it will be interesting to discover how good his authorship holds ups.

I recommend we give the whole sunday for the votes to be cast and then on monday read the first three chapters and post discussion comments. Then on Tuesday read the next three chapters etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Here:

The Gods of Eden by William Bramley

It's a bible to some of the peeps hereabouts, I'm ok with it. Like some of our friends, been busy too. Such is life.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
Since it's Sunday now I cast my vote for Watcher for the first book to read and discuss. I have not read any books written by Robert Sawyer so it will be interesting to discover how good his authorship holds ups.

I recommend we give the whole sunday for the votes to be cast and then on monday read the first three chapters and post discussion comments. Then on Tuesday read the next three chapters etc.

We will make the official announcement Monday morning, EST, to give our friends overseas to cast their votes.

May have to back off on three chapters, though...depending on how long each chapter is, of course. I'm a fast reader but I have a lot of other obligations and only get about thirty minutes of reading time daily. If they are short chapters, that would be fine.

I vote for Watch too. Looks very interesting.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Water: A Natural History by Alice Outwater
It is an information-filled book in less than 200 pages about water usage, water pollution, aquatic biodiversity, deforestation, erosion, and a few others. I liked it a lot when I read it.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
When it comes to disappearances nothing is more bizarre than the Highway of Tears-Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert, British Columbia. I was part of a research/investigative team that attempted to condense all the data to a form that is easier to comprehend. We didn't have as much success as I hoped for mainly because the local authorities didn't put much effort into the cases.

I'm not much for alien abduction theories or any other alternative explanations however in about 16 of the cases the girls simply vanished off the face of the earth. I really don't think they were kidnapped, or fell victim to a serial killer, because serial sexual predators always operate in a patterned way that is part of an obsessed fantasy. There is just no evidence of abduction.

If you wanted to go to a more non fiction/unsolved crime book discussion this is a case that is as madding as any fiction story could ever be.

That study was more than 4 years ago and I still think about it all the time. They just vanished.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Domain by Steve Alten
Years ago I read this book and have reread it a hundred times! Its like the DaVinci code only its all about pyramids, lay lines and aliens, ect. It is a very fast paced story that takes you all over the world with heart pounding excitement.
www.stevealten.com...

65 Million Years ago...
An asteroid impacts Earth, forever changing life on our planet. Only the object wasn't an asteroid...

For 32 years, archaeologist Julius Gabriel has investigated the Mayan Calendar, a 2,500 year old enigma of time and space that predicts Humanity will perish on December 21st, 2012 (winter solstice). Julius believes certain unexplainable sites: The Great Pyramid of Giza, Stonehenge, the giant desert drawings of the Nazca Plateau, the Temple of Angkor Wat, the Pyramid of the Sun, and the key site--the Kukulcan Pyramid in Chichen Itza in the Yucatan Peninsula (site of the ancient asteroid impact) represent pieces of a global puzzle linked to the salvation of our species.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Beecee21

I read that book too, he's a great author
You know it's part of a trilogy, right?

Any of David Golemon's Event series are good reads as well
eventgroupfiles.com...
edit on 4/21/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

The Taking by Dean Koontz is my favorite book! Love Dean Koontz!

I love Stephen King too but I am usually disappointed with how his books end. The stories will be going perfectly and then the ending is just blah! That is why I prefer his short stories. The only full book that I can think of, by Stephen King, that has an appropriate ending is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by moonleaf

I've read ALL of Dean Koontz's books, The Watchers and Door to December are my favorites.
I also enjoyed the Odd Thomas books and the ones with the kid with the disease where he could only come out at night

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's all good until someone recommends we read the Necronomicon.

The only circles I want to read are the O's in the posts on ATS.

Specializations in topics are more interesting than cliquing up and having the snooties from the book club poo-pooh those who aren't in the club. There are a million other websites that can do that. That's where it goes, and then it gets weird with people trading recipes and talking about their cats and the menopause.

It's a noble ambition but it's like hijacking the forum. Probably means you spend way too much time on ATS when you start living in it.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Sandalphon because: nom nom nom

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
It's all good until someone recommends we read the Necronomicon.

The only circles I want to read are the O's in the posts on ATS.

Specializations in topics are more interesting than cliquing up and having the snooties from the book club poo-pooh those who aren't in the club. There are a million other websites that can do that. That's where it goes, and then it gets weird with people trading recipes and talking about their cats and the menopause.

It's a noble ambition but it's like hijacking the forum. Probably means you spend way too much time on ATS when you start living in it.
edit on 21-4-2013 by Sandalphon because: nom nom nom

If you don't want to participate, then don't. That simple.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Okay, everyone! Time to cast your vote!

Just post the name of the book you vote for....we'll tabulate the results and announce the winner and reading schedule Monday morning, EST.

Oh, and for those of you who have a kindle or kindle app, there's a club out there called Bookbub that gives you access to free and really cheap books, like 99 cents. Might want to take a look into that, I use it and it saves a lot of money.

I vote for Watch.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I won't be able to get the book til may 1

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thanks HomerinNC! I will check out D. Golemons books! And yes I do know the rest of the Domain series. thx

Now what book to pick..............hmmmmm..... I vote for Watch.
But please keep the book suggestions coming!!! It's great to find new books to enjoy!

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
reply to post by smyleegrl

A good idea and hopefully this thread will not fall into disuse. Here is my book nomination.

Atlantis, Alien Vistitation and Genetic Manipulation

I also have a question. ?Do books have to be modern or can we nominate something written 40 years ago for example.

I second this choice, Micheal Tasarion is brilliant....

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Okay, everyone. If I counted correctly, looks like www.WATCH is the winner this time around.

I realize it may take folks some time to get a copy of the book. On Thursday of this week, I'll start a thread in the Literature forum about the book (I will post a link here to the thread). In that thread, we will come up with a reading schedule and guidelines.

Can't wait to get started, this is so exciting!!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join