It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levee Breached in London Mills Illinois, Town Being Evacuated

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Thanks. Hobart is the Capitol City of Tasmania. That is in Australia, well, tacked on to the bottom anyway.
Sorry, that is an Australian joke.

While a little off topic it makes the point well. The opening post (Since altered by the OP with thanks) only had the town name and nothing else. This happens a lot and for those of us not from the US it makes it difficult.

Question to prove the point. Off the top of your head name the states of Australia, not too difficult, there are not that many! Consider that a rhetorical question.

Hope all the people are safe. I have been through a flood and it is very difficult for months afterward. I feel for them/.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's either not enough water or too much water. People are never satisfied. everyone wishes the drought will end so the earth gives them their wish and then they complain. In a few months they will be complaining it's too dry.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

It is hard to find a nice happy medium lately, isnt it.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Since human history started, humans have built dwellings in flood plains. Granted, it is convenient but we never seem to learn. It is easier to shore things up time after time than to say, this is a silly place to build.

That is human nature. Bit silly really.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yeah I hear ya. There really is not any safe place anymore. If its not floods its hurricanes or earthquakes or countless other things. Oh well.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by pheonix358

reply to post by rickymouse

reply to post by lcbjr1979

Yeah I hear ya. There really is not any safe place anymore. If its not floods its hurricanes or earthquakes or countless other things. Oh well.

Build in the flood plain and drown, build above the flood plain get bombed, trailer park
get tornadoed, live at the beach and get tsunamied ! The city and get shot.
WTF is going on !

edit on 18-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by amraks

Thanks. Hobart is the Capitol City of Tasmania. That is in Australia, well, tacked on to the bottom anyway.
Sorry, that is an Australian joke.

While a little off topic it makes the point well. The opening post (Since altered by the OP with thanks) only had the town name and nothing else. This happens a lot and for those of us not from the US it makes it difficult.

Question to prove the point. Off the top of your head name the states of Australia, not too difficult, there are not that many! Consider that a rhetorical question.

Hope all the people are safe. I have been through a flood and it is very difficult for months afterward. I feel for them/.

P

How exactly do you pronounce that, because, there is a Hobart Indiana, However, it is pronounced Ho-BERT, I guess you have to live there to understand. When I hear people say Ho-BART, of course, I correct them, and they still tell me I'm wrong. I tell them to go to a town close to it and ask where it is, and you'd get A LOT of really weird looks. Sorry off topic.

On topic, yes, we here in Illinois, and Indiana are getting pelted by rain. I just came home from work, and I'm so glad I drive down the middle of the road in the dark( only if there isn't any oncoming traffic) and if it is raining, I can't see for squat, for about 100 feet, the whole side of the road was nothing but water, so I can feel ya. But I guess the rain is supposed to keep going for a few more days....unfortunately........

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

To pronounce Hobart, think of Bart Simpson and offer the greeting Ho! Bart!

The flood I was in the rain was so heavy that it was literally an effort to remain standing, you had to use your muscles to stand still. Strangest thing I have felt!

P

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by thepolish1

To pronounce Hobart, think of Bart Simpson and offer the greeting Ho! Bart!

The flood I was in the rain was so heavy that it was literally an effort to remain standing, you had to use your muscles to stand still. Strangest thing I have felt!

P

Must be an Aussie thing. Of course, I guess it's all on the slang of the area. I have people tell me I have an accent, grew up in northern Indiana, but people say I sound like I'm from the south side of Chicago. I usually come back with " Hop on a train from my hometown, and you can be there in 15 minutes, I might have the accent, but not the gun!."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join