It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning to spend 1 year in India? Anything I need to know passport/visa wise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I've been various places overseas, but never longer than a month at a time.

Anyway, I'm planning a trip to India for a year to spend in Solitude, Meditation, Book writing, and hanging out with some Mystics and Buddhists.

So I was just wondering if there was anything I need to take care of passport/visa wise, as generally I had heard it is up to 90 days you can go outside of the U.S., anything afterwards requires more paperwork/Forms, or so I have been told through hearsay. Searching the the US department of State just gives me endless link without ever answering my question, so I figured someone here might know off hand.

FYI *** Prior to any rape remarks, I'm a dude, number 1, and number 2, what about that girl that got raped in Canada, the rapes that happen in the U.S, weekly?
edit on 16-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
dont drink the water, dont eat the food.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Don't use the bathroom, Ever.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't get raped.

Allot of that happening there these days.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
make sure you only use your own toilet and always keep your toilet roll in the fridge,

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Lol, so many crazy comments.

I know about the water, food, rapes and honestly know areas on the West and South Side's of Chicago where I have more chances of being raped, poisoned, shot & killed.

I'm a traveling wanderer and heart and do not fear death, nor do I fear going to India, plus I'm a dude so less chances of rape
Small town near the Himalayas, with lots of Caves, inside of which are a bunch of cave dwelling meditators and I'll be meeting a few friends there coming from other countries....

no worries

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
How much money would you need to live over there for a year and being an English speaker it would be easy to find a job over there.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If I were you I would contact the Indian Embassy and ask if there is someone who you can ask these questions of that works there or if they can put you in contact with someone "in the know". Every country is different and has it's own Visa restrictions/limitations. For example: when my spouse travels to Brazil for his job he has to have two separate Visas- one for doing business and one for doing actual physical work. It is best to have all of your "ducks in a row" long before you ever leave your house.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Your concern will not be how long you can stay out of the US but how long you can stay in India - contact Indian embassy for all information or your travel agent can sort this stuff out for you.

You are in for a wonderful experience - enjoy the colour, the smells, the spices and most of all the beautiful people and up in the Himalayas will be the most astounding place to be - fly high - you lucky, lucky person.

Watch 'The most exotic marigold hotel' if you don't know what your in for - it will give you a good taste of what you have in store. WONDERFUL!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

All I can really say is - safe travels my friend. Be careful, look over your shoulder, and never let your guard down. It's not all doom and gloom, but you need to stay safe.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Carry plenty of change for the kids and sweeties too.
Have a great time I did

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is why I love ATS!!!

Lots of great advice and I will be contacting the Indian embassy, watching that film that was mentioned, and doing more research. Just got a PM from someone letting me know a 6 month visa is no prob, anything after that requires an extension of some sort.

will look into.

Stars for everyone. When I do get back, I will upload some pics

Originally posted by NeoSpace
How much money would you need to live over there for a year and being an English speaker it would be easy to find a job over there.

What it costs me to live in the States for a month, I can live in India for a year. Especially considering I will be in a smaller town near Himalayas away from the tourists and will be renting a small room. Few bucks a day for all 4 square meals
edit on 16-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Dear friend,
I am from India, my name is DEB, I can guide you about your desires to visit India and to a stay for a long time. I am an educated person, working as a manager in a company, so don't worry for any bad situation. As for staying in a near Himalya, it is better to visit a Holy place name - "HARIDWAR" in uttarakhand state of India. It is not a big city, but a small city where you will get peace and touch of Holy river "GANGA", the longest river of India, known as mother ganga.[PERSONAL INFO REMOVED] India is a peaceful country, rape, murder, is almost in low number compare to other country in the world.
edit on Wed Oct 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 115e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post. use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

edit on Wed Oct 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

debauchee100

Dear friend,
I am from India, my name is DEB, I can guide you about your desires to visit India and to a stay for a long time. I am an educated person, working as a manager in a company, so don't worry for any bad situation. As for staying in a near Himalya, it is better to visit a Holy place name - "HARIDWAR" in uttarakhand state of India. It is not a big city, but a small city where you will get peace and touch of Holy river "GANGA", the longest river of India, known as mother ganga.[PERSONAL INFO REMOVED] India is a peaceful country, rape, murder, is almost in low number compare to other country in the world.
edit on Wed Oct 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 115e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post. use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

edit on Wed Oct 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use

Hello Deb,
I tried to email before it got removed and the email would not go through for me. Send me a privaite message , u2u on ats. Thanks

top topics

join