It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

for YOU do not know when the appointed time is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mark 13:32-37.
“Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father. 33 Keep looking, keep awake, for YOU do not know when the appointed time is. 34 It is like a man traveling abroad that left his house and gave the authority to his slaves, to each one his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to keep on the watch. 35 Therefore keep on the watch, for YOU do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or at cockcrowing or early in the morning; 36 in order that when he arrives suddenly, he does not find YOU sleeping. 37 But what I say to YOU I say to all, Keep on the watch.”

So based on this scripture what are you thoughts on people who predict the end of the world and Gods judgement. I wont name names or any particular instances as we all know some. When the bible says only God knows the how can any human presume to know?

edit on 14-4-2013 by JW2002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JW2002

I think the setting of exact dates comes from impatience.
People are not prepared to sit back and wait.
I've done a thread describing the practice as "futile".
It's always based on very dubious assumptions, and it never works.'

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JW2002

It could be referring to a million different profound occurrences. Which one, hard to tell.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
PS Are you aware that until recently the Jehovah's Witnesses themselves were doing it?
Perhaps you are too young to remember "within a generation of 1914" and "six thousand years after the Creation"(i.e.1975)?
Your community has come rather late to the recognition that date-setting is a bad idea.

PPS I'm not sure why this got shifted.
I would have thought "Prophecies" was the right forum after all.
edit on 14-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
PS Are you aware that until recently the Jehovah's Witnesses themselves were doing it?
Perhaps you are too young to remember "within a generation of 1914" and "six thousand years after the Creation"(i.e.1975)?
Your community has come rather late to the recognition that date-setting is a bad idea.

[
edit on 14-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

Indeed ! But then we are only humans and as such human suffer from imperfection.

To be fair the 1975 thing was a unofficial thing. Because as you said the impatience of man our head office made the failure to not too correct it due to them I thinking hopeing it was true. A bad Human error anyway and those who made it will have to face there actions when Gods time arrives.

Anyway we have learned our lesson.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

PPS I'm not sure why this got shifted.

Agree as it deals with refuting those making Christian prophesies at the very least dump it in the religion forum.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JW2002

Quite so.
But you need to ask yourself "If they were wrong on that, what else might they have been wrong on?"
Perhaps, for a start, they were wrong on "We are the only group true to God, and the rest of "Christendom" will be rejected".

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by JW2002

Quite so.
But you need to ask yourself "If they were wrong on that, what else might they have been wrong on?"
Perhaps, for a start, they were wrong on "We are the only group true to God, and the rest of "Christendom" will be rejected".

Maybe we are wrong on other things but that will be revealed in time if we are. It not for me to say what could be wrong or not. Anyway going off topic it not really are JW's right or wrong thread.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JW2002

True. My apologies.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think people like to be the one who 'called it' and therefore you have people making predictions in the hope they are correct.

I think this also leads to people wanting things, that they have predicted to come true, to occur regardless of what that might mean in real terms.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Predictions are yet another way man attempts to control. Also to seem special. I don't believe such events can be predicted. I believe what the Bible and Jesus said about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You are assuming that everyone believes in the word of the BIBLE. I would say the majority of those that predict the end of times, truly do not believe the words of the Bible or they would not make such predictions.

Not every person is Christian, so, therefore, not every person will believe or even know the scripture you quoted.

I grew up baptist but as an adult, I explored other ideas and other "religions". I am not sure everything in the Bible is 100% factual, and was written by man/men, and therefore could itself be flawed.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Well seeing as its a bible quote I really refering to so called christian "prophets" Such as Harreld Camping ect

But I can see your point. Non christians basing predictions on other texts is a whole diffrent issue and complex issue.

Still dont know why this thread was moved here by the way

The deffinition for prediction and propheices forum is.
"This forum is for the discussion of predictions from previously-published clairvoyants (with links), ancient prophecies, and not the random posting of member's predictions. Personal member predictions should be posted on the BTS forum DREAMS & PERSONAL PREDICTIONS. [edit on 2/6/2010 by AshleyD]"

Point of this thread is useing a ancient text (Bible) to debunk christian predictions.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutomatonCatchup
I think people like to be the one who 'called it' and therefore you have people making predictions in the hope they are correct.

I think this also leads to people wanting things, that they have predicted to come true, to occur regardless of what that might mean in real terms.

What's scary is I remember watching a documentary on Nostradamus. He predicted that a great war (possibly nuclear) will be fought with a major power, with the leader being a man wearing a turban. If North Korea calms down then we still have to deal with the looney tunes in the Middle East.

top topics

join