It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Reportedly Locked Out of Daughter’s Swim Practice to Accommodate Muslim Sensibilities

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

You mean like when the zealot bible thumping god-botherers want to restrict the constitutional right to abortion?

Abso-freakin-lutely.
You're right to practice your religion doesn't mean you can ram it down anyone elses throat.

Your rights end where mine begin and vice a versa.
edit on 10-4-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's basically an attack on women hidden behind an attack on Muslims.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Originally posted by hp1229
I agree however I am referring to being present at the venue and not necessarily participating in the swimming pool with the trunks.

It's the same thing.
The pool I used as a lad had blinds that could be pulled down over the windows/doors etc so the Women in the "Women's only" swim club would feel more comfortable.
Of course, the Father should have been informed of this when he booked his Daughter in.
Precisely. I'm sure he would have still been upset but nevertheless wouldn't have been caught by surprise.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by BritofTexas

Then why was it mentioned? Why not just say a WOMAN asked for him to leave. Why specify the fact that according to Muslim sensibilities men can not watch?

I doubt any non Muslim had a problem with a father keeping an eye on his daughter. He wasn't in the pool taking the lessons. So he wasn't in violation of the rules. A Muslim woman asked for him to leave since according to THEIR rules he couldn't WATCH. Hence why they enrolled in an all girls class. THEY should have asked if males would be allowed to be there at all. They should go to an all female facility if they are this retarded.

Maybe they should build their own pool or PAY to rent the pool since you can't dictate how public space will be used.

edit on 10-4-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)
I can see if someone had paid for the facility on a rental basis but that doesn't seem to be the case. Below are the links of the facility where the incident happened. Dennis R. Trimbrell Recreation Centre. I am assuming that the staff/woman who closed the blinds on the father was perhaps of Islamic heritage?

LINK1
LINK2

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Dennis R. Trimbrell Recreation Centre. I am assuming that the staff/woman who closed the blinds on the father was perhaps of Islamic heritage?

LINK1
LINK2

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I wouldn't allow someone to lock me out of a room if I had my offspring in there. The guy should have grown a set, took his kid, and never go back

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
actions speak louder than words.

Edit: added link here

edit on 10-4-2013 by lnfideI because: ~~~~ __/) ~~~~~~

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Illegal and against our constitution. He needs to nip this in the bud by taking LEGAL ACTIONS.

If they were offering female only, classes, then the same options for the lessons for his daughter had better be available for the mixed as well, because there are female things I do like, for example, like female doctors best, so people should have some choice, providing the other choices are there.

edit on 10-4-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. As I have said before, the minority are the ones who complain the most and the loudest much of the time, and they get their way. Why in the world should democratic institutions be changed for the religion of a small percentage of citizens? Not wanting men to see them is their problem, not democracy's, and if they don't like it, they can leave. This is what I really hate. Immigrants coming to a country and then attempting to change all kinds of fundamental practices of that country to suit their own personal beliefs. You did not see this in America when the bulk of immigrants came over in the 19th and 20th centuries. In fact, most of those people were not only hardworking, they worked hard at learning English, and adopting the customs and practices already established.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is such a non-issue its laughable to see people blow this out of proportion.

The class started 20 years ago, this isn't something new. Also, if the FULL news story was to be posted here as it was written in the Toronto Sun, everyone would have read:

Late last month, Dennis R. Timbrell began a male-only swim course where only men could watch from the sidelines — no moms. The program bred from the same religious/cultural reasons, Jackson said.

Will he also be complaining because his daughter isn't permitted to join this course? There are mixed swim classes this parent can take his daughter to, why doesn't he enroll her for one of those?

He states his reasoning is for his daughter to make new friends, why doesn't this father want his daughter to become friends with boys?

There are 9 pools in Toronto that offer this female only course. I see no problem with having it remain female only. The aquatics manager admitted the enrollment forms should be clearer to indicate no males allowed.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am one of those weird people who doesn't believe in beating up on people because of their religion unless whoever it is tries to shove it down my throat (or up my vagina).

I've gotten very tired of this "We Christians Are Being Persecuted" nonsense. I will defend a Christian's right to practice his/her beliefs, to display those beliefs proudly, to teach those beliefs to her/his children. What I will not defend are things like prayer in the schools, by which is meant only Christian prayer, or teaching the controversy, by which is meant rolling up years and years of scientific research and chucking them in the bin because that's not what the Bible says. When those things happen, it actually or metaphorically infringes on my rights not to believe in a Bible-centered Christian way.

I'm even more tired of people who I know telling me that their brand of Christian religion requires them to speak out at me for not believing in it, and if I object to their proselytization, I am being an anti-Christian bigot. No, I'm not -- I'm merely defending my own right to exercise my freedom of speech and my freedom to choose not to associate with one group or another.

True Christian persecution does exist in this world. There are places where you will be killed if you propose or disseminate Christianity. That is real persecution.

Telling you you're not allowed to chase down gay/lesbian kids in school and rant at them about how sinful they are? That's not persecution -- that is defending the American constitutional rights of freedom for those gay/lesbian kids. If that conflicts with your own view of American freedom for gay/lesbian kids, well too bad. Nobody's trying to force you to change your beliefs, so stop trying to force other people to change theirs.

/end rant

Disclosure: I am a Catholic, and I am a Christian. But there's no way I will condemn anyone for disagreeing with my beliefs and I expect the same respect from others.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I do not understand why Canadians think they have the same rights as the USA. No offense but we had to fight and die for ours.

There are no clauses in the Constitution Act of 1867 (the BNA Act to those born before 1982) that separate church and state. Indeed, our Head of State, the Monarchy, is also the Head of the Church of England and Defender of the Faith.

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

I see this constantly. I do not know if its the Internet exposing Canadians to American ideals or what. You do not have separation of church and state in Canada so they can do this in the public schools if they wanted to.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
People are missing the point here, yes it was a woman only class which I can fully understand, a woman has every right to go somewhere where there isn't every leering man simply just staring at them as sex objects, yes women are used to it sometimes but a bit of peace and quiet once in a while is needed.

But the point is he was thrown out because of religious reasons and not because it was a women only evening.

Now for me that is totally wrong, makes you wonder why in some of the larger Mosques they don't build swimming pools for the women, but of course radical Islam detests the women so there's no chance of that happening.

You will also find that the more radicalised women ie the full burka wearers (yes they are more radicalised, do the research) do not even want to swim with other women on women only days or nights, they want to swim only with fellow Muslims as they find the kuffar unclean.

Whilst I can understand it being a woman only event but the man's case is exceptional and the women in the pool should have been asked if it was ok for him to be with his daughter.

And just for the record, my in-laws and wife who are Muslim do not seek women only pools, they go to swim, end of. If they were to get male hassle then I'd expect they would choose women only times but not because of their faith. I'm sorry but these more radicals need to evolve as normal Muslims have, they understand the teachings but interoperate them for today's understandings and ideals, this living in the bad old days only creates these situations.
edit on 11-4-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
I wouldn't allow someone to lock me out of a room if I had my offspring in there. The guy should have grown a set, took his kid, and never go back

damn right son.
followed by facebook and other social sites for boycotting them and raising the issue. then to the courts for discrimination. Muslim women or there men or just there society does not want you to look at them? I dont want to look at them, I am not interested. Read up on the description of "PUBLIC" pool. if they need lessons then have a time aside for muslim females to swim, like they do for Adults only or Family time etc.
then once we have done that for them, set times aside for fat people who might have a self confidence issue, then set aside a time for beautiful people who dont like looking upon ugly people, then set some time aside for "heavy petting" and "bombing" so it does not offend others. once we have done these things, sit back take a good reality check and ask yuorself what the hell is becoming of this World.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This post reeks of anti-Islamic xenophobia. Don't you have a problem with falling for the old, they are taking over our country routine? Or are conspiracy theorists as racists as the next, dumb redneck?

IT SAID A FEMALE-ONLY POOL. Why would somebody want to swim with females only when some old guy can sneak in and start perving it?

Yeah, I come from an "Islamic" country and was raised in California. Pervs happen. If it says female only, let them be female only.

Poor daddy.

edit on 11-4-2013 by Unferth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

How utterly ridiculous.

If they've such an aversion to swimming publicly, then why the hell are they attending/patronising a 'public' swimming pool.

I actually called in to see my 6 year old daughter at her swimming class this afternoon... if the staff had told me the same as what they told this Canadian father, I would've either just ignored it out of hand, or told them to tell the Muslim women to leave if they didn't like my presence there. Period. What are they going to do??

This nonsense and the indulging of it by non-muslims, needs to stop... immediately. If they don't like our culture and way of life, don't bloody migrate here!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by salamanda

You are actually presuming that you 1) Have a culture 2) It is not defined 3) It is immutable 4) Muslims who immigrate have no right to change your culture through presence.

What does all this mean?

You are a racist living a in la-la land called western secularism? Tell me there is no such thing.

Slavoj Zizek said the west should just define its values. Then their wouldn't be this problem. But if you pretend to be some open-society where everyone's preferences are equally important, well then you got a big problem.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I think it's completely fine, I totally agree that it should only be either Women only or Men only. This way everyone is more free, they don't need to get stared at while swimming. We have separate times for Muslims when they want to swim, and I'm proud that the swimming school gave a chance for the Muslim to swim separately because of religious beliefs. I'm a Muslim myself and I think it's completely right thing to do.

You're all nagging about the wrong thing, This doesn't mean that anything is run on religious beliefs. It just gives people with other religious beliefs a chance to fit into society. Are you requiring that they should change their beliefs and support a one world religion? There is no chance for that. Instead of being mad about it, You should support the cause and find a solution.

Though they can make a schedule for days with Women only and days with Men only. For example it can be on Sundays Saturdays. I think it's a great idée.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Again. Read the full article.

It's not a muslim only class. It's a Female only class.
We have plenty of female only gyms and whatnot.

Were the class a religious class I'd be all over it.

As a Female only class then it's a different story.

I read the full article. All women's class means the guys can't get in the water with their kids. Having it include the spectators is stupid.

The dad didn't choose to have a daughter. The dad also didn't choose to be a man.

The women who complained were Muslim and cited religious reasons why they couldn't be looked at while in the pool with their daughters, and they chose to be Muslim. So tough #$*&# for them. If anyone should be barred from the class it's them.

If not, the other classes should be "Men's" only classes to be fair. But it wouldn't be fair, it would be absurd.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

We have separate times for Muslims when they want to swim, and I'm proud that the swimming school gave a chance for the Muslim to swim separately because of religious beliefs. Im a Muslim myself and I think it's completely right thing to do.

You don't say?

You're all nagging about the wrong thing, This doesn't mean that anything is run on religious beliefs. It just gives people with other religious beliefs a chance to fit into society. Are you requiring that they should change their beliefs and support a one world religion? There is no chance for that. Instead of being mad about it, You should support the cause and find a solution.

If rules are being made/changed based on religious beliefs of people attending, then the program is being run on religious beliefs. Don't delude yourself.

Though they can make a schedule for days with Women only and days with Men only. For example it can be on Sundays Saturdays.

Or Mosques can install pools because it is such a travesty in the Muslim faith for a woman to be seen in a bathing suit? Either that or they can simply choose not to swim, and cite their religious beliefs. After all, that's their choice.

I think it's a great idée.

I grew up in co-ed pools, I think it's a horribly stupid idea. I have a feeling a large number of people would agree with me.
edit on 11-4-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join