It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Reportedly Locked Out of Daughter’s Swim Practice to Accommodate Muslim Sensibilities

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Watch out Canada. It is happening/creeping in at a ever slow pace as it already has in UK. Whats a single father to do if he accompanies his daughter to a swim practice? As a father or two toddlers (boy & a girl), I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my toddler in a swimming pool area for swim classes regardless of the presence of life guards (male/female/teens/adults).

A Toronto area father is upset after being locked out of his daughter’s swim class for what he was told are “religious reasons,” according to the Toronto Sun.

“I spoke to a staff member and she told me that it’s because of Muslim women, that we’re not allowed to look at them or whatever,” 38-year-old Chris said Friday (he declined to give a last name). “I don’t think religion has a role to play in a public pool.”

The single father knew when he signed his daughter up for the 9-week course at the community center that it was a female class, but didn’t realize the gender segregation also reached the stands, apparently.

“She doesn’t have a lot of friends and I wanted her to swim with girls. I don’t know what parent wouldn’t want to watch their child participate,” he said, adding: “There were other fathers there who weren’t too happy.”

[url=http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/08/father-reportedly-locked-out-of-daughters-swim-practice-to-accomodate-muslim-sensibilities/]SOURCE[/ur l]

MODS, please fix the link to accomodate the long text in the URL. Thanks.
edit on 10-4-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have my girls half the time, so for a week at a time i'm all they have at home and when we are out.

If we go swimming, i'm there with them, like most other activities. I'd have been well pissed off if this had happened to me.

Maybe they should build religious swimming pools now?

The dads should have been given more information.

CX.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Insulting them Christians is fine, but make something that MAY insult a Muslim and you get your house burnt down, and you're the one with the RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE.

I love bowing down to our Muslim overlords that nobody can ever talk against

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sorry. Religion does not have precedence over taking care of your daughter. If I was him, I would just find a new place to go to. In fact, a LOT of people should just find a new place to go to, and let all the Muslims go to that one community center, since that's what they want to do apparently anyways.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Once religion starts to infringe upon the rights of others there's a problem.

However you left out the other side of the story.

“Without a female-only program, there would be women that wouldn’t be able to participate in swimming,” she said. “This is the way it needs to be in order to accommodate the programs. We’re not opening the door to one cultural group only — this is all females we’re accommodating.”

Looks like that class is female only.
And that there's a mixed gender class as well.
Not so big of a deal now.
edit on 10-4-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I took my baby cousin to a swimming baths for mothers and children and was told I could not join in because it was just for Mothers and babies, I was already in the pool chatting up the young ladies and was well annoyed.
My cousin cried all the way home
I agree no Religious practices in any schools, If they do not like it hire a private swimming baths just for them.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

As a community center is a public place, and this one seems to be run by the government, which raises the obvious question: Since when the Canadian government start bowing down to religions?

Oh, wait, that's right. Anything but Christianity.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Again. Read the full article.

It's not a muslim only class. It's a Female only class.
We have plenty of female only gyms and whatnot.

Were the class a religious class I'd be all over it.

As a Female only class then it's a different story.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

That is as bad in my book, what about single fathers etc? sexism...
The mothers I spoke to when I was thrown out all said they did not mind me being in the pool with em.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by hp1229

However you left out the other side of the story.

“Without a female-only program, there would be women that wouldn’t be able to participate in swimming,” she said. “This is the way it needs to be in order to accommodate the programs. We’re not opening the door to one cultural group only — this is all females we’re accommodating.”

Looks like that class is female only.
And that there's a mixed gender class as well.
Not so big of a deal now.
edit on 10-4-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

I agree however I am referring to being present at the venue and not necessarily participating in the swimming pool with the trunks.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

If Muslims don't want to accommodate our customs why should we do so for theirs?

Why come to our countries if you don't want to change your ways to be compatible with ours?

Stay in your country if you have this many accommodations to be met.

This just shows that Muslims and their culture are incompatible with ours.

This is the equivalent of visiting someones home and asking them to leave while you stay.

Muslim culture is fine as long as it doesn't try to supersede our own. We don't go to their countries and ask for our ways to be respected. If they wish to increase the divide and resentment towards them keep this sort of crap up.

Maybe swimming classes where fathers may attend are not something they can enjoy. Maybe the whole of the west is just not for them. They seem to be unwilling to meet half way. They are guests though. This is our home. If anyone should leave its them.

I don't care either way mind you. They can stay or go but we will not tolorate this crap forever.

edit on 10-4-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
I agree however I am referring to being present at the venue and not necessarily participating in the swimming pool with the trunks.

It's the same thing.

The pool I used as a lad had blinds that could be pulled down over the windows/doors etc so the Women in the "Women's only" swim club would feel more comfortable.

Of course, the Father should have been informed of this when he booked his Daughter in.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Knee jerk reactions?

Read grey580's post above.

It's for single sex swimming NOT Muslims.

edit on 10-4-2013 by BritofTexas because: posters don't read the thread!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This would normally be fine, if it were the Middle East, but this country wasn't founded by Muslims. Play by our rules or...

edit on 10-4-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
lol i live in Toronto, if i knew which pool this was i would have went down and asked them.

This shtz wont fly too long. If one culture gets extra stuff, other snot gonna sit and watch.

Its funny how the article kinda says "not culture but all women".. kinda trying to d dim down the article OR the article is trying to create a flame with its title.
edit on 4/10/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by grey580

That is as bad in my book, what about single fathers etc? sexism...
The mothers I spoke to when I was thrown out all said they did not mind me being in the pool with em.

If the only offering was a women's only class then yes I would agree with you.

However there is a mixed class for boys and girls.
So I don't see the big deal here.
Just enroll in the mixed class.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Then why was it mentioned? Why not just say a WOMAN asked for him to leave. Why specify the fact that according to Muslim sensibilities men can not watch?

I doubt any non Muslim had a problem with a father keeping an eye on his daughter. He wasn't in the pool taking the lessons. So he wasn't in violation of the rules. A Muslim woman asked for him to leave since according to THEIR rules he couldn't WATCH. Hence why they enrolled in an all girls class. THEY should have asked if males would be allowed to be there at all. They should go to an all female facility if they are this retarded.

Maybe they should build their own pool or PAY to rent the pool since you can't dictate how public space will be used.

edit on 10-4-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I asked that and they did not have a Father and baby class.
I complained but nowt was done about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by hp1229

You mean like when the zealot bible thumping god-botherers want to restrict the constitutional right to abortion?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

You mean like when the zealot bible thumping god-botherers want to restrict the constitutional right to abortion?

Which you clearly object to.

Why then are others not allowed to object to Muslims restricting their freedoms?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join