It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I just peaked up a ways at the pizza recipe. It doesn't look like there's a lot of oil in the dough, maybe just under a tsp?
I would try to stick to about a tablespoon in the pan, the cast iron absorbs a little of it (sort of).

I also pour out of a big bottle, so it's different each time, it looks like a tbsp. (approx).

I've tried freezing the cooked pizzas and foccacias too, so I don't eat too much in one sitting. They seem to freeze well.

edit on 11-5-2013 by snowspirit because: Dam auto correct , lol

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well, one recipe, from the OP, is a good sized meal for my husband and me.....no leftovers.

I've tried two different toppings...and plan to do more of a foccaccia at some point as a side....so they will be leftovers then.
I just love this dough....I hate kneading....it's a very wet dough, but the oil allows it to be easily removed from the bowl.

I was worried my cast iron pan would be a problem. because I hadn't used it in years.....but...it's nicely oiled and seasoned now

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Pppppiiiiizzaaaa !
One of my five food groups

I am lucky in that,I live in a place where good pizza is easily accessible ,so I never have to make it .
I have a local pizza place owned by two little old Italian men ,Italian accents and all .

I get a whole pie .Eat two pieces ,and freeze the rest for a later date.

I make a salad with olive oil and balsamic ,and I pinch of hot pepper flakes .
When I'm done with the pizza and salad ,I dunk the crusts into the oil and vinegar in the bottom of the salad bowl .

Yyyesssss..... Actually . I think I have a few slices in the freezer,right now...

Woot !
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

This recipe is almost as easy as take-out....assuming you have a nice pan and the ingredients!!!!

YESS!!!!! Pizza is the food of the gods as far as I am concerned

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

It's work tho. I do cook a lot. I live alone now,so I make ,and freeze for later. With good pizza so close ,I prefer to expend cooking time on other stuff .
My mother's family is Italian ,so I grew up with it. I can cook many Italian dishes ,but I do a lot of Asian foods actually .
Japanese ,Chinese,Thai ,Vietnamese . Pizza is easy to get. Those I have to drive to Chinatown to get .
The take out Chinese ,is good,but not "the real deal" ,in many ways . So ......I will check it out ,but I can never do the crust as good as they do .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Hey, if I could cook Asian well, I'd do as you are doing, too!!!

I find I am allergic to woks

This pizza does an amazing job of recreating that pizza dough you get at the pizza place:
deep dish, crispy...it's the high heat....like 500 degrees.
In fact, my husband prefers it to the place we were gettig it from.....not a national chain place either.
And, way cheaper than the bought kind.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

As long as you have an Asian market near by ,Asian isn't as hard as it seems. Some trial and error.

I can give you a few recipes if you like . Depends what you like .
My latest foray has been Vietnamese food ,and its one of my favorites ,ans I'm getting the hang of it.
Pork Bahn mi are quite easy once you learn how to make the pickles ,which is easy .
Those are pork sandwiches ,with these sweet pickles made out of carrots and daikon on them .

I do easy Chinese pork dumplings .
Nom
I want some now .....

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

How easy are the pork dumplings???
I like Asian, but not spicy.....

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I use ready made dumpling skins . Round ones . I wet them and stretch them out a bit so they're not so doughy .
For the filling is use a pound of ground pork ,two scallions finely slices ,green and white parts .
Two garlic cloves minced ,about a 1x1x1 inch cube of peeled ginger ,also minced .
Two tablespoons of dark soy sauce .
That's it.
You can add a bit more scallion or garlic ,but its fine as it is.

You can play with the dunking sauces if you want hot.
You can do sweet,spicy salty dunking fun .
I make about 1 inch meatballs and plop em in the middle of the skin,and fan it shut.
I cut off excess dough ends.
There prob YouTube vis of how to form the dumplings.
Probably under pot stickers .

You can pan fry ,deep fry or boil them in soup .nom nom
edit on 6/6/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

That dough recipe is similar to mine..

Flour, olive, water, salt & pepper. Mix together and roll out. That is it...! The tomato sauce is easy to make. Chopped tomatoes, salt & pepper, mixed herbs, oregano, chopped garlic. Then add whatever you want then cover with cheeeese..!

Mmm I am hungry now...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

How easy are the pork dumplings???
I like Asian, but not spicy.....

Here is a video of how to fold dumplings. I use the last one she shows here ,which she says is her favorite .
I want some now .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Looks amazing!

Ever think about putting a hot dog in the crust?

a hot dog in pizza! that is different idea, would try it.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sachieauckland

Originally posted by Lysergic
Looks amazing!

Ever think about putting a hot dog in the crust?

a hot dog in pizza! that is different idea, would try it.

See the pizzas in this link . The Japanese had a Pizza Hut crust with little piggies in pizza crust on one side .The other side was mozzarella in crust ,and I think one more .
The other pizzas here are just as outrageous .
Scroll all the way down so you don't miss any . I think one is corn dog pizza crust .

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'm going to try that recipe for pizza crust. A good crust sets overnight like a good bread is supposed to be. Here in America we rush things and add extra yeast instead of letting the yeast convert and process the dough. Many necessary chemicals are produced by yeast and the flours need to be partly digested by the yeast for us to experience the best taste and healthiness of the breads. This western diet sucks, it is making us sick because we live in a rat race instead of slowly flowing along with our lives.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Make sure you use bread flour....as it says the dough needs the extra [I think] protein in the bread flour.
For me the hardest part was figuring out how much oil to put in the skillet....we settled on about .5 tablespoon...any more and it seemed the flour was absorbing too much of it.....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I like the part about crisping it on the burner
We have about six or more cast iron pans and also some porcelain coated cast iron pans.

A big part of my research is on changes we have made in cooking practices that negatively effect our health. Why does bread taste so much better if it rises for many hours. It is because we have evolved utilizing cooking practices over thousands of years. The chemicals created by yeast that attract us and keep us healthy and full of energy is all that food sciences have concentrated on in the western world diet. It is what the yeast are eating that is important also, what they converted is now different. We need to look at the big picture and maybe we will have less health problems. Rushing things in the way we do things means that we are skipping things. If the glutamates are not bound to the proteins of the bread, than they are free, the chemistry they add to make us attracted to the bread is too fast acting and causes highs and lows in our moods. Then we need antidepressants to adjust the glutamate levels.

Breads that are slowly risen using the old reliable yeasts are better tasting. Adding brewers yeast to add the B vitamins is a big coverup of what should be done to prepare the flours for consumption. Yeast can form the B vitamins while converting the flour if it is let rise for a proper amount of time. Not many of us have evolved to properly neutralize the aflotoxins that some kinds of rapid yeasts create, it will take many generations. I prefer the taste created by the red star yeast myself.

If you neglect evidence that interferes with your desires to make more money faster, than all the allowable evidence will substantiate your beliefs. Then you use this allowable evidence that you have created to tell everything is nutritious and safe. Since there is rarely an immediate reaction to your deceit, nobody will know where the chronic widespread problems are coming from. Multiply this by the thousands within the western diet we have created. It is important to state that most things have an antidote though. Finding these antidotes is easy for some people, especially young people who aren't conditioned to ignore cravings. Study what the young are doing, then study it to find solutions. That is one of the things I am doing.

I do not believe much of the recommended foods that the health industry say is good is really good overall for all people. There are two kinds of metabolism and a lot of genetic differences in people. Not one person in this world can eat all the stuff another can and be healthy. It seems it is acceptable for people repeating the consensus of the time as far as food is concerned to do so. This to me is social genocide, it improves the chances of some genetic groups to survive well by forcing sickening food chemistry on others.

Sorry for getting off topic, I should have stuck to how good the slowly risen breads taste. Who cares if the yeasts can convert the glutens to something that is less allergenic.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

No, I liked your post...
I will say that it doesn't crisp as well as the stuff from the pizza place...but if I remember correctly, the guy in the website altered the temp from 550 to 500...although check to be sure.....
500 is about all my oven will do....and the edge is very crispy...the bottom middle not much.

But, it is an awesome pizza...you may also want to add less salt to the dough....I don't know how important salt is to yeast and flour interactions...and actually even at fewer grams it was still too salty for me.

This is about bread machines, but still

Why do we use salt in bread? Basically, for flavor. You can certainly make bread without salt. However, salt-free bread, to most people, is about as appetizing as cardboard. Salt brings out the flavor in food, as we well know, and bread is no exception.

For those of you who don’t want to use salt, remember that salt is a yeast inhibitor; salt-free bread will rise much more quickly and vigorously than bread with salt. When you eliminate salt from your recipe, you’ll need to reduce the amount of yeast, and perhaps even bake bread on the “rapid-bake” cycle to keep it reined in sufficiently. Don’t use salt substitutes in the bread machine -- they don’t work.

www.kingarthurflour.com...

Guess I won't be eliminating it altogether

Salt has several functions in baked goods:

It contributes to overall flavor.
In bread, it controls the fermentation rate of yeast.
It has a strengthening effect on the gluten protein in the dough.

Without salt, bread rises faster and air pockets enlarge where the gluten has broken, allowing holes to form. Bread made without salt will taste bland. If you choose to eliminate salt, decrease the proofing time so that the large air pockets don't have time to develop. Salt should not be eliminated from recipes using automatic bread-making machines.

wiki.answers.com...
edit on Sun Jul 7 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I called the wife over the computer when I had the King Midas site on one day, discussing salt in breads and a few other excellent tips with her that we both needed more understanding of. I would suggest everyone read the King Midas information. Most people can learn a lot from this information, Knowledge that I would say is worth it's weight in gold. I would have never thought of putting information from that site on ATS. I consider studying stuff like that a personal enlightenment, not learning. Knowing stuff gives me an ability to have discussions with all kinds of people, that is why I like to learn. If I have things in common with people I can easily strike up a conversation and if my knowledge is diverse, I can talk for hours without boring them too badly about one subject.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I really like pizza I might try it some time.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
With the arrival of cooler weather, I decided to dig out this thread...and make some of this dee-licious pizza....500 degrees is not the type of thing you want in your kitchen when its in the 80s

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join