It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It's a pan pizza that requires no kneading, no rolling, no stretching, no special equipment or experience whatsoever, just a scale, a bowl, a pan, and bit of time.

A scale!
Cooking (measuring) by grams ???

I've never done that before. I've gotten by my whole life, never needing a scale for cooking.

I tried a weight (gram) to mass / liquid conversion but 200 grams of flour came to 7 ounces. Less than a cup. Would that be right?
Other conversions were
5 grams salt = 1 tsp
2 grams yeast = .4 tsp
135 grams water = 4.6 ounces
4 grams olive oil = .135 ounce or .8 tsp

Does that sound right?
I don't even own a scale..

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

That sounds about right, just scanning it through my mind real quick.

90% of all good bread baking recipes measure in weight, not volume. This is because one cup of flour is not the same as another cup of flour. One might be packed more than the other, etc.

I have a bread baking book that doesn't even have volume measurements.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Thanx
I had some no knead bread dough in the fridge, which is somewhat similar.
I added the olive oil to the outside of a ball of dough, turned it into the pan pizza. It worked quite well.

Doing the proper dough will be even better.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Having Italian blood flowing in me I must interrupt and point out that the only thing that should be called pizza is this

no offence intended, hehe, when i'm hungry I'll happily eat any kind of pizza!
but there's quite nothing like an authentic wood-oven baked neapolitan margherita,

:drooling:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by athousandlives

Star for the image alone. Some of the best pizza I've ever had was in Sorrento, Italy. (Which is not far from Naples where pizza originated). You certainly can't go wrong with the margherita but there are others just as good and certainly worthy of being called pizza. The seafood pizza comes to mind...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RomaSempre

Ah yes, now that you mention it, the seafood variety is probably even better!
Sorry I meant pizza made in that manner, not just margherita, I know.
Roma sempre? are we talking the city or calcio? hehe

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Do you by chance have the US equivalents to the flour, water, etc???

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Baking should really be done by weight, not volume. Digital kitchen scales aren't terribly expensive. $3.83 on Amazon

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

Yeah, your'e probably right.....now I also need to get some regular flour

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
to correct my previous post, not regular flour...as bread flour has extras gluten to get a better quality bread.....
So, hopefully, I'll be trying this awesome looking pizza this week

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I've tried this method a few times now, with just the no knead bread dough that I keep in my fridge, by just putting the olive oil on the outside of the dough ball.

If you press the dough ball (olive oiled) into the cast iron pan, and crumble herbs on it, it's like a focaccia. I use rosemary, thyme, sea salt, pepper.
Cook 12 to 15 minutes at 500F.
Cut up and dip in pizza sauce or bolganaise (sp?) sauce.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What kind of dough do you use, snow??

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Jude11 put up a great basic recipe a while ago in this thread :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the same one I use.

A cast iron frying pan works great in place of a baking stone.

I've cut back the yeast and salt to just 1 tbsp each, and I added a tbsp of sugar.

I have a large bowl of this dough in my fridge and I've used it for bread, this pan pizza, and the focaccia described above, sticky rolls (roll out into square, add cinnamon, sugar, raisins. Roll up, cut into littler pieces, place in pan that has butter and brown sugar and bake at 350F 20 to 30 min. Turn upside down to serve)

For the pizza or focaccia, pour a bit of olive oil in the cast iron pan, and coat the dough, and squish it flattish.

Dangerous to have around if you're trying to lose a few pounds

Easy to experiment with different recipes.

edit on 29-4-2013 by snowspirit because: Sp

edit on 29-4-2013 by snowspirit because: Auto correct
and obsessiveness.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I forgot about that recipe...and I am afraid to have it around.
Carbs [like sugar, rice, bread, pasta] are my weakness....I have to avoid them as much as possible.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i would marry a pizza if they changed the law, in fact i would become a mormon (or is that amish? american religion confuses me) if it meant i could have a housefull of pizza-y wifeys.
however, 5 grams of salt in just the dough of one 10 inch pizza? i could eat a ten inch pizza as a breakfact entree, and it would need a yummy heap of cheese too. the dough looks great but that much salt is putting me off of my crisps (translation: potato chips) and i have cardiac fear just thinking about it. wtf am i supposed to eat for the rest of the day when i have already bested my salt quota just for brekkie?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Not sure what salt adds besides flavor....one could certainly add less........

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Had the pizza for dinner tonight....and it seriously could NOT be any easier....the hardest thing is weighing the ingredients

It was the best pizza I ever made and FAR exceeds using frozen bread dough.

Used 8 oz of pizza cheese, pepperoni, thinly sliced onions, mild pepper rings and bacon.
Topped with Parmesan.

Can't wait to try another

Or make a flat bread

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a question for those who have tried this pizza:

How much oil is needed for the pan?
I seem to always over-pour...and was wondering what a rough quantity would be...the one I made last night ...I used waaaaaaay too much olive oil

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

When I use the no knead bread dough, that doesn't have olive oil as one of its ingredients, I pour about a tablespoon or so into the cast iron pan, and coat the whole dough ball with the oil in the pan before squishing it flat.

If you've used oil in the dough, You probably only need about half that. Then spread it around well.
I've slipped with the oil too when pouring, I was surprised that I didn't have smoke. Olive oil generally isn't good with high heat, but it works with this snack for some reason.

That's the great thing about cast iron pans. If you use them a lot, they're almost non stick as they age. If you have to use soap in before you clean it, just oil it lightly before putting it away.
edit on 11-5-2013 by snowspirit because: Sp

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Thanks.....I really slipped...way too much oil.
If I have an idea how much to use...I can measure and use more sparingly.....it's really hard to do small amounts from that large tin of oil
I should know better

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join