It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Story of Inspiration, Dashrath Manjhi, Moving Mountains With His Hands

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Source..

Dashrath Manjhi (1934[1] - August 17, 2007[2]) was born into a poor labourer family in Gahlour village near Gaya in Bihar, India.[1] He is also known as Mountain Man.[3][4] Dashrath Manjhi's wife, Falguni Devi, died due to lack of medical treatment because the nearest town with a doctor was 70 kilometres (43 mi) away from their village in Bihar, India.

Dashrath did not want anyone else to suffer the same fate as his wife, so he carved a 360-foot-long (110 m) through-cut, 25-foot-deep (7.6 m) in places and 30-foot-wide (9.1 m) to form a road[5] through a mountain in the Gehlour hills, working day and night for 22 years from 1960 to 1982. His feat reduced the distance between the Atri and Wazirganj blocks of the Gaya district from 75 km to 1 km, bringing him national acclaim.[2][6]

He died on August 17, 2007.[7] He was given a state funeral by the Government of Bihar.[7][8]

This guy had a heart. I hope he found his wife wherever he ended up. This is a true testament to the fact that 1 person really can change the world for the better.

Enjoy.

(Oh i credit whoever put this on Facebook)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What a great and touching story, I will be sharing this story with everyone I know. Thank you

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I hope this man has a special place in the next life. Humans are an amazing species, but our flaws outweigh the good that we do. This man gave 22 years of life for others to have a fighting chance.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
wow... speechless...

thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
While it is incredibly impressive how dedicated this man is, I can't help but think that spending over 20 years doing something that could be done in days/weeks/months using dynamite is a little waste of time.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

I think the man was just working through his pain dude. We all do this in our own way.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
While it is incredibly impressive how dedicated this man is, I can't help but think that spending over 20 years doing something that could be done in days/weeks/months using dynamite is a little waste of time.

How narrow minded can you get, you obviously missed the whole point didn't you and obviously don't understand "needs", "gifts" or just plain necessity?

I bet Dashrath Manjhi has more good friends from doing this than you will ever have, some of them may not be alive if he hadn't courageously endeavoured to single-handedly do this for the greater good of his fellow men and women.

And just because someone didn't use dynamite or give him some is no reason to give up.

Sheesh!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

i highly doubt he had access to dynamite. it would take a lot of dynamite and other tools along with the know how to use them.

he wasn't motivated by money, but love.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

This man did something when no one else cared to, and as a result numerous people will be saved.

That is the take away from the story, the fact that a man with nothing did more than most of us do on a daily basis should make people reflect on the lives we live.

The statement you made says more about you and western culture more than anything I could say in response to you.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
just goes to show you that people suck.. why didnt anyone help him so that people didnt have to keep dieing for 22 years until he finally finished..

What a waste of time.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

How narrow minded can you get, you obviously missed the whole point didn't you and obviously don't understand "needs", "gifts" or just plain necessity?

I bet Dashrath Manjhi has more good friends from doing this than you will ever have, some of them may not be alive if he hadn't courageously endeavoured to single-handedly do this for the greater good of his fellow men and women.

And just because someone didn't use dynamite or give him some is no reason to give up.

Sheesh!

Originally posted by benrl

This man did something when no one else cared to, and as a result numerous people will be saved.

That is the take away from the story, the fact that a man with nothing did more than most of us do on a daily basis should make people reflect on the lives we live.

The statement you made says more about you and western culture more than anything I could say in response to you.

Over reacting much? I love how someone makes a simple point about how it could have been done quicker if people took the time and care (and money...which is likely what stopped it) as a group to handle the obstacle and you both start attacking the person and assuming they are stupid...you spit ignorance and hate in your haste without considering a different perspective...

No one said he should have given up...and idk how or why western culture has anything to do with it....or how stating that they cant fathom doing it for 20 years knowing it could be done much quicker has anything to do with their character.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Dennislp3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Although he worked away at this for a very long time, I want to know something.

What I don't understand is why he didn't get help?

Either from people in the village (there must be others) or why not from people on the other side of the Mountain?

TBH... it doesn't really look that huge of a Mountain... I'd rather call it a hill!! Anyway, beside the point.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Not wanting to be a joy kill, but believing this small rock being moved shortens the distance from 70km to 1 km is kind of absurd.

These pictures either do not show how tough it was to get through...or it is being overblown greatly...

Amazing if true, but why would a doctor's office be located at the foot of a mountain on the other side of a hill, and no one would traverse this small hill and instead would choose to walk 70km around ??

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Let me guess, a citizen of the West, right?
(As am I.)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
very good

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Awesome

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” -Greek Proverb

I'd like to have taken credit for that, but it was from a youtube video of this mans work cutting the pass.

As an aside, It would be great to take the rock he removed and build a walled, paved walkway from one side to the other.
I guess as a life long mason, I see the possibilities, where others only see piles of rocks.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Whoa, calm down... what's up with the venomous replies!?

Originally posted by Dennislp3
Over reacting much? I love how someone makes a simple point about how it could have been done quicker if people took the time and care (and money...which is likely what stopped it) as a group to handle the obstacle and you both start attacking the person and assuming they are stupid...you spit ignorance and hate in your haste without considering a different perspective...

No one said he should have given up...and idk how or why western culture has anything to do with it....or how stating that they cant fathom doing it for 20 years knowing it could be done much quicker has anything to do with their character.

Thanks for standing up for me, you pretty much said it all for me, I don't really have anything to add.

Except for, judging by the pictures... oh, wait.. ParasuvO, already said it..

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The thing is, he probably enjoyed doing that... Something kept him going, an accomplishment couple of dynamites will not bring. Also its not like the government gave a crap about a poor corner village, they don;t care if they die or not, let alone supply dynamite and pave road.

Saying he wasted his life doing something redundant that can be done in couple of days is like saying, "why do we still have homemade food when fast food is available" or "look at all these idiots walking while they can drive".

new topics

top topics

join