It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question - why does god want people to kill?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

In Ireland many murders were committed in the name of the same god.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ireland was a battle between two groups for political power and (what was perceived as) equal rights. I didn't think either group was saying they needed to convert the other's theological errors.

What God wants from us is one of the most fundamental questions a person can ask. May I respectfully repeat another poster's advice? Dig into the issue yourself. Learn from the great thinkers and religious philosphers as they comment on life, God, and the holy books. Then come back and we'll talk some more.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy565
I'm just going by what the jihadists are doing. jihad - definition

Go back and read my post. Q&A discusses Jihad, link below, you can either read the transcript, or if you want watch the video, from 00:34:20. Jihad may not be what you think it is.

Heres a couple of links:
www.abc.net.au...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-4-2013 by salainen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You may in fact be correct but I thought the conflict was also because of the protestant / catholic differences.

Maybe you should do some research as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I assume the OP is referring to the judgements of God in the OT. The most notable are the following:

1. The Great Flood - The violence and wickedness of people of that time, was so utterly unpressidented that God was actually sorry that he created mankind. During the construction of the arc, Noah preached about turning from their ways and getting right with God for 100 years.

2. Sodam and Gammorrah - The evil within those cities were well know in the region. Abraham pleaded with God that if 50, then 40, 30, then 20, and finally 10 rightious men were found in the cities, to spare them. The people in these cities would partake in every sexual sin which pleased them. In the end, only Lot and his family were saved before the judgement came.

3. Destruction of Jericho - Before the Isrealites would attack an area, a warning would be sent to the intended enemies to flee. The people of Jericho knew of the success of the Isrealites in battle. They refused to leave. They didn't leave because of their own pride. God's judgement then came upon Jericho by the hands of the Isrealites. (The people of Cannan knew of the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. In fact, they were given a 400 year reprieve to change their ways from human sacrifice and idol worship.)

We see a distinct pattern emerging from the judgments brought by God upon various peoples:

1. God declares an annihilation form of judgment to stamp out a cancer
2. The judgments are for public recognition of extreme sin
3. Judgment is preceded by warning and/or long periods of exposure to the truth and time to repent
4. Any and all ‘innocent’ adults are given a way of escape with their families; sometimes all given a way to avoid judgment via repentance or leaving a particular region. It should also be noted that expulsion from a land was the most common judgment, not extermination. This pattern goes all the way back to the ejection of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden (cf. Gen. 3:24)
5. Someone is almost always saved (redeemed) from the evil culture
6. The judgment of God falls

So, in taking a more indepth look at the judgements of God, one can see that they were divine rightious judgements and not wholesale killing, for the sake of killing.

edit on 6-4-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Cheers
Charles
to 1952

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
I assume the OP is referring to the judgements of God in the OT. The most notable are the following:

Well, reading the thread, I think he was talking about people killing others on behalf of God in the present age, not in the OT.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Really?

You didn't know of the protestant / catholic war either?

A bit of advice, before you make 'clever' comments it's best if you know a little on the subject.

edit on 6-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by salainen

Originally posted by Siberbat

Well, reading the thread, I think he was talking about people killing others on behalf of God in the present age, not in the OT.

Right you are. - thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It is all a matter of perspective and knowledge

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Sorry dude. But if you don't read you're not worth a reply.

.. he said, in reply.

I read this thread and would believe that god doesn't want humans to kill each other.

*looks around the world*

But I must be missing something..

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
I choose peace and would only kill to save from an immediate action of violence.
In the old testament killing was viewed as a way to free someone from a life of violence and sin that results from the soul one is connected to from below. As i stated in another thread we are connected to a soul from above and one from below and when the future was seen to be one that went against his plan he would hit the reset button. When Jesus came GOD began to understand things in a different way.

How can an all seeing, all knowing, all creating, all omnipotent not get one of his creations, send his only son to kill himself by proxy so that god can better understand things?

Stupid horror book.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
In other words, I could send an electronic/microwave signal on the ELF pathway.

So people who hear god are being manipulated. Coerced to do something.

But if they give away millions, it's real god.
If they kill random people while reciting verses from the bible it's the cia.

Hmm.

We as humans use approximately 10-20 % of our brains in general and on average.

Well we use 100% of our brain. We don't just turn a bit on and a bit off.

Try pulling bits of your brain out and see if YOU as YOU are still happy with your ability to count to 10.

god is a figment of that brain. A collective creation of a millennia of imaginations creating something to explain everything.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Dear billy565,

I'm terribly sorry if you see me as attacking you in any way. It's not meant to be harsh. You might remember that I mentioned that I didn't think the recent troubles in Northern Ireland was based on religion. I stopped by the lazy man's library and saw this:

he Troubles (Irish: Na Trioblóidí) is the most common term for the ethno-nationalist conflict in Northern Ireland that spilled over at various times into the Republic of Ireland, England and mainland Europe. The duration of the Troubles is conventionally dated from the late 1960s and considered by many to have ended with the Belfast "Good Friday" Agreement of 1998. However, sporadic violence has continued since then.

The key issues at stake in The Troubles were the constitutional status of Northern Ireland and the relationship between its mainly Protestant unionist community and its mainly Catholic nationalist community. Unionists and loyalists generally want Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom while Irish nationalists and republicans generally want it to leave the United Kingdom and join a united Ireland. The Troubles involved republican and loyalist paramilitaries, the security forces of the United Kingdom and of the Republic of Ireland, and politicians and political activists.

en.wikipedia.org...
I'm certainly willing to agree that in the 15th or 16th Century the fights were more religiously based, but I also thought you were going a little more modern.

Oh, Wildmanimal. Love your avatar and mini-profile. Last time I was on a horse I wasn't whoopin' and hollerin', I was content to hold on.

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on 7-4-2013 by charles1952 because: duplicate link

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

It is a matter of perspective.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
According to the Bible stories the Christian God killed too many to count, for the purpose of teaching people to obey and follow obvious man written law. Religion was and is a tool to control the masses. Jesus didn't like the leading religious groups of his time and he wouldn't like the ones leading now. The true God can be found through Jesus, for he and his father are one.

Study what Jesus spoke and chuck the rest of the junk in the Bible.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I have never read the bible, too boring,

As an atheist even I must tell you that the bible is SOOOO NOT boring! It is probably the greatest work of fiction of all time. There is magic. There is war, betrayal, sex, love, hate, murder... You name it, the bible has it.

As for why a god would command people to kill, remember the bible is written by man, and the man of the desert is ignorant (especially back when the bible was written). He wouldn't know how to create a god that didn't display human emotions and beliefs.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I have never read the bible, too boring,

As an atheist even I must tell you that the bible is SOOOO NOT boring! It is probably the greatest work of fiction of all time. There is magic. There is war, betrayal, sex, love, hate, murder... You name it, the bible has it.

That guy probably hasn't read Shakespear because he thinks that would also be boring.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

'Why does god want people to kill?'

Firstly, this question assumes the premise that god wants people to kill - then asks the question (on the assumption this is agreed)...why...
This line is erroneous for many reasons - subsequent questions extrapolate the 'agreed' assumption from an erroneous position.

Once the mechanism of FREE WILL is understood, this question will not be asked.
There is no riddle to this...it is almost a mechanistic process (that is complicated by the appearance of many processes of FREE WILL all happening at the same time)...the accumulated processes can have the appearance of a chaotic mess (but, in fact, are not)...

The gift of FREE WILL is retractable only under special circumstances - and involves the removal of 'personality module' (consciousness does not necessarily involve FREE WILL, as we experience it)...personality does...the removal does not happen at this locum...

To directly answer the question...Source does not 'mandate', or allow one flame to remove the right of another flame to burn...this happens through the higher concept of FREE WILL, which could only be conferred through the auspices of unconditional love - unconditional (from the point of view of Source)...

Killing is not a result of FREE WILL, but a condition of its conferrence toward a greater ideal that allows a flame to contemplate under different circumstances what FREE WILL means in the arena of solid consequences - and alter its path (through FREE WILL) to a path that progresses beyond the cult of the individual...

A99

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I have a question - why does god want people to kill?

Because God is Satan?

***shrug

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

In Ireland many murders were committed in the name of the same god.

(just an example.)

You are wrong on this one. The conflict in Ireland was not a religious one - it was social/political/economic - there was no killing in the name of God - there was killing in the name of a fair deal for people (who had been given an extremely raw deal). It was always rather galling to be that misguided US citizens donated funds to Irish terrorist organisations (Noraid) - especially given the current climate - the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

But to your op - I would disagree with many of the posts on this thread claiming that God doesn't approve of killing. The Old Testament is a how to guide when it comes to killing and cheating individuals, groups and entire peoples.

The OT God did ask Abraham to prove his loyalty by killing his own son - and apparently relented - and the boy was saved. The OT God killed the first born child of the Egyptians. The OT God destroyed the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah. The OT God instructed the Hebrews to kill the inhabitants of their so-called promised land showing no mercy.

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations—the Hittites, Girga#es, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you— 2 and when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally.[a] Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

And of course there was the flood - when all of the planet's inhabitants (all living creatures - not only humans) were completely wiped out.

Compassionate and caring? I don't think so - as with many things in religion - the opposite is true.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join