It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question - why does god want people to kill?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

I am not a ‘religious person’. I have been to church but I do not attend a service on a regular basis, usually for funerals and weddings. I have never read the bible, too boring, but I have limited knowledge of its contents.

Never in my life have I held or even seen a Koran so I know less about the Muslim religion than of the Christian religion.
(The above statements are meant as a background not to cause an argument or to offend any true devoted followers.)

Now to the point of this thread....

The way I understand it murder or killing another person is considered a sin in Christianity, I assume there is something similar in the Muslim religion but I’m not positive.

Why then are so many murders committed in the name of a GOD? Not every war but many have begun under the guise of a religion.

Is there anyone here who can explain to me why a good, loving, caring god would ask or want a follower to kill another person because that person has different beliefs?

(I’m not going to be convinced if you answer “an eye for an eye”. )

Thanks for your time and please forgive my ignorance.

edit on 6-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Is there anyone here who can explain to me why a good, loving, caring god would ask or want a person to kill another person because that person has different beliefs?

He wouldn't...

This really comes down to which "God" you believe in... and there are many in the bible...

Though there is only one true God...

The rest are creations of...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

God forbids killing. God loves everyone even if they don't believe in him. God has given us freewill meaning we can choose to follow and believe in him or not. And so therefore those who kill others in the name of religion or to "make" someone else choose to follow God is completely beyond the concept of God allowing us freewill. I hope that helps. We are to love one another, love should be unconditional EVEN if we do not agree or believe or follow another's belief. It's man putting his desires and power over others. Man messes up what God says.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
He.. doesn't? Well, at least the God i know of doesn't.

Religion is a great cop-out reason to kill someone. The insane and the stupid use (as they do with everything else) to rationalize the atrocities the commit. The smart (and psychopathic) use it to get the support of the aforementioned.
edit on 6-4-2013 by SouthExpected because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccseagull

God forbids killing. God loves everyone even if they don't believe in him. God has given us freewill meaning we can choose to follow and believe in him or not. And so therefore those who kill others in the name of religion or to "make" someone else choose to follow God is completely beyond the concept of God allowing us freewill. I hope that helps. We are to love one another, love should be unconditional EVEN if we do not agree or believe or follow another's belief. It's man putting his desires and power over others. Man messes up what God says.

So then in theory if the person kills another in the name of god then he / she is going to hell?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I don't know enough to give you a complete answer, but I can't think of any recent wars that were begun by Christians to advance Christianity. As you say, it's considered sinful. Even the Crusades were more about conquering and reconquering cities and lands.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something, perhaps in Medieval Europe, so I'd be glad to learn.

Christians have gone to war, but I'm not sure they do because God wants them to. I suspect it's more defense, or reclaiming conquered territory.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It depends who your God is.
My God doesn't kill but your God may.
My God is anything and everything because my God is the universe.
Your God may be the product of my God.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

obviously its about choice

if god takes that choice away, inturn, god would have to take away the choices that lead somone to kill

adultury, lies, burglary, rape etc

if he was to take away these things....then once again, in turn, he will have to take away

pleasure, pain, arrogance, etc

basically its about spheres of choice....we are blessed with complete choice...and from what i can see
the majority have chosen mostly the right decisions

make the right choice

if god took that choice away, and a drug head/zombie was trying to eat your brains... you would beg for that choice back lol

peace

BTW - god doesnt want anybody to kill....
edit on 6-4-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The Bible is a collection of myths, wrote by men some with good intentions,
others seeing a way to control the masses.

Every war or death that has ever happened, was not the will of a benevolent,
or malevolent God. Simply men interpreting gods word with a silver tongue.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
God is the CREATOR. The devil means the destroyer so God would create life while Satan/Devil try to destroy creation.

If you are worshiping one that wants to destroy, it probably isn't God...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
To those who have replied I thank you for taking the time.

In those replies it seems to me the reference has been based mostly on Christianity.

That is where I'm confused. I'm under the impression it's okay to kill a Christian if you're a Muslim.

There must be a few Muslims on this site who can clearify this.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

"God" does not want people to kill.

"People" however, kill in The Name of God.

It is an "Awareness" problem. For everyone interprets "God" in their own way.

The fighting begins over the "Interpretation". (The Name of God).( Or No God at all).

For The Multitude covet their personal interpretations,
and will kill to justify them. Even though their interpretation is not yet complete.

edit on 6-4-2013 by Wildmanimal because: add stuff

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Man is fallible and in a fallen state. It is not God who wants us to kill, it is the selfishness and power hunger of corrupt men, trying to advance their own agenda, killing, under the false premise that they are doing so "In the name of God."

Don't confuse the creator with the creation.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy565
Is there anyone here who can explain to me why a good, loving, caring god would ask or want a follower to kill another person because that person has different beliefs?
Why is it that almost universally, if people believe in God, it is the Creator God, some Great Other that made the cosmos, watches over us, and is in charge of everything? Isn't this idea of God a bit suspect given it is how children relate to their parents in terms of being taken care of, etc.? Is there really any evidence that a Creator God exists?

I am not questioning that the Divine is Truth, but is such a one the creator of all of this? Like you said, why would such a one allow killing, not to mention the thousands of men, women, and children that die every day for any number of reasons. I have to this day never heard an acceptable justification from anyone trying to explain such actions by such a Creator God.

So no, I do not accept the notion of a Creator God, but also, am not an atheist or agnostic. The Divine is not causally related to all these apparent conditions - all of us here, and everyone everywhere else, are causally related to conditions though! As others have already said, people are doing the killing.

It is time we stopped blaming God - just like children or adolescents, when feeling like betrayed victims, blame their parents when things don't work out as planned. I am not saying you are doing this - I am just making a general statement about what many people do because of their belief in an all-powerful Creator-Parent-God. It is necessary for us to be free of these notions, and all uninspected belief systems, and in that depth truly consider what Truth actually is. Then the inherent morality in Truth will inform our lives altogether.
edit on 6-4-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

"People" however, kill in The Name of God.

My point exactly.

Example - A very religious person is angry at his neighbor for differing religious beliefs. He goes to his place of worship and prays for guidance. The next thing you know he's strapping a bomb to his chest and blowing the neighbor to hell because that is what god "told him to do".

So either god did tell him to kill the person or god is an excuse to kill.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
How pathetic. It's like not reading Shakespeare and then asking ATS whats in one of his plays?

Sorry dude. But if you don't read you're not worth a reply. It's a silly silly question. Go ask a child, they have more idea. Laziness is your friend. Just accept ignorance and live on.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
How about a common code of humanity.
No God,no book.

A common respect for life and beliefs.
Eat to live.
No violence against humans or plants or animals but only to survive.
Do not alter what has already been created .
Do not poison the place that you live,eat and sleep.
Use nature as what was intended,your living space,not manmade living spaces.

What else could you add.

The common code for humanity.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I choose peace and would only kill to save from an immediate action of violence.
In the old testament killing was viewed as a way to free someone from a life of violence and sin that results from the soul one is connected to from below. As i stated in another thread we are connected to a soul from above and one from below and when the future was seen to be one that went against his plan he would hit the reset button. When Jesus came GOD began to understand things in a different way.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

So either god did tell him to kill the person or god is an excuse to kill.

Or an entity claiming to be God told him. It is said that Satan can appear as a messenger of light.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Again, the actions of the hypothetical "individual" you described would be according
to their own interpretation.

In other words, I could send an electronic/microwave signal on the ELF pathway.

Some would react according to the signal, and others would not.

It all depends upon their personal interpretation.

We as humans use approximately 10-20 % of our brains in general and on average.
So in effect, "God" is a concept of measurement that we cannot fully understand.

We can only interpret the concept within the levels of our understanding.

Does that make any sense? I am really trying here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join