It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Thought: Pure Speculation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Like everyone else around here these days, I've been pondering the North Korea clusterfornication. It seems that Junior is determined to show us all that he's a big boy by trying to pick a fight with the biggest kid on the block. Now there are few ways in which NK can mess with us and seemingly endless buffet of options for us to retaliate to the point of wiping them from the face of the Earth.

Of course, bombing people back to the stone age (in this case setting back most of NK by a week and a half) has not been our style. We attempt to be the good guys with our spectacularly expensive and generally ill-advised nation building shtick.

There are a great number of reasons why that particular gig would not be appropriate here. The resources are a major factor (though not as major as they rationally should be). The bigger reason is a little nation we like to call China. We deploy massive fire power and/or nukes in China's back yard and we risk displeasing a nation that can basically call our bluff on the entire fictitious nature of our monetary system. Now, I have reasons to be believe that that would never happen (see Enjoy the Sideshow in my signature), but even if they opted for good ol' traditional warfare China is not a nation we want to anger.

That said, a serious strike (I'm thinking a nuke here) from the crazy little freak in Pyongyang would absolutely require retaliation. Now here's my random, pure speculation thought; and if its been bandied about elsewhere, my apologies. Lots of NK stuff flying around here these days. What if we just gave NK to China?

I, of course, realize it is not ours to give; but what if we said to China: "Look, we have our differences, but you treat your people and your neighbors better than North Korea does (which is not saying a whole lot, btw). You have nuclear weapons but seem to generally respect the responsibility that comes with them. North Korea has taken action that demands retaliation, but we are not looking to mess with your sandbox. If we take out the power structure, can you mobilize and annex the country?"

Naturally, there are various matters of international law that could gum up these works, but if NK launches an actual nuclear strike, I think the international community would be OK with sorting out the details after the situation is brought under control.

As to whether this would be beneficial in the long term is uncertain, but it would be an interesting gesture to the Chinese without worsening conditions on the peninsula and not not bogging us down in a third foreign quagmire.

Thoughts?
edit on 6-4-2013 by RobertAntonWeishaupt because: grammar

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
And what about S. Korea? China will be on the doorstep. Still it might be the lesser of evils.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

I like it, but what about the Russians, too? Would they care? I don't know, honestly, I'm asking that as an additional question to the OP's post. Does anyone know if they would?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Sounds like a winner to me.
I wonder if China has thought of this?
China could Godsmack little Kimmy and go in and take over,
since little Kimmy does not know how to play nicely

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Well I have a great fondness for The People Of South Korea.
Their general manner and genuine attitude is worthy of respect.

Evacuation of these great allies should begin now.
Without Delay.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Every country should go to war. Natures population control. I hope it is a nuclear war.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I think China wants the whole peninsula. They usually back NK, but are not as commited as they have been. Perhaps this is the plan of both China and the US. NK attacks SK, America retaliates and China swoops in to take the entire area.

I have a feeling these nations are working together a lot closer than people seem to think. They are massive trade partners, together they could take the world. And who could stop them?
edit on 7-4-2013 by DaesDaemar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
China is a bit of an enigma in this whole thing,

China has a lot of leverage over North Korea and they don’t care what happens to it so long as they get their lucrative energy contracts renewed, china is not interested in empire building they are interesting in self-preservation.

As such so long as it becomes in china’s interests to have a Korean war that ultimately leads to the unification of Korea they wouldn’t care so long as they were guaranteed a slice of the pie. It seems likely that they would, a unified Korea control by Seoul works for China, they already have strong diplomatic ties to the South and good trade links. Therefore I cannot see why China would lose out if Korean became united they would probably receive a increase in trade with a new united Korea and wouldn’t have to deal with their troublesome ally anymore.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Russia probably wouldn't be happy losing so much money and slave labor. Russia does have some interest in NK.
edit on 7-4-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join