It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired people who say...why do you believe everything on the internet!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am so sick and tired of this. I am over it!

I do a lot of personal research and reading on various topics. I get nothing but mocked by people esp my family on my views. I am the one doing the researching not them! They just believe what they are told and do nothing to look into things for themselves.

I am the crazy one because I believe things like aspartame are bad and that I don't want to eat foods with HFCS or anything of the like. I also get crap because I said I don't want an epidural. I have been doing some reading and I don't like what I have read about side effects from them so I don't want one. It's MY choice! I have always had a low tolerance for medication and I don't like what I've read about them. Women have been having babies for centuries without a friggin epidural!

I get told "you believe anything you read on the internet" which is not even remotely true. Nobody in my family does research like I do on topics, nobody. It's all I do! I don't have cable I have the internet which to me is like a vast library of information. I lived at the library as a kid. I loved reading on new topics. I know how to navigate and research thru the BS and check sources yet I"M looked at as the nutty one, all the while they are the ones watching Fox friggin news and MSM.

They seem to think that if it was bad it wouldn't be on the market, oh how wrong they are! If I don't like something esp when it comes to medicine I will not take it esp when it's not needed and a selective option. I have a low tolerance for medication and I really don't need side effects, which almost always happens to me.

Anyone else get this or is it just me?

I am just really frustrated because it is like my beliefs are crazy and they are completely normal. My sister the other day tried to tell me to educate myself on aspartame and then sent me to THEIR website for "facts" as she called them. I replied back with my own FACTS on how it's bad and then she attacks me calling me crazy and that my friends are crazy for believing everything is bad and if it was bad it wouldnt' be on the market. Um how wrong she is!

Ugh I want to scream.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Actually I have experienced this to a degree in my real life. Two members of my family tend to dismiss anything I say because they are aware that I am a moderator on a "conspiracy" site.

Seriously it's bad enough that I can say "Nice day today, huh?" and get the reply "You need to stop reading that ridiculous stuff on the Internet!" like some automatic reflex.

Because of this I now forward them every single hoax I can find with titles like 'ZOMG I SSSSSSOOOO TOLD YOU! ZOMBIE ALIEN NWO ILLUMINATI SPACE PLAGUE FROM MARS KILLZORS YOUR HOPE!!!"

Yeah, they don't like me much.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You are brave I don't think I have told anyone Iam a member of this site

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yep, they'll think you're loony for believing in that. Kind of shows the power of government doesn't it? Oh well, you can't really do anything. It's what they were taught to believe and we all know how people are with their beliefs. It just seems people are always wanting to be right and never wanting to admit they're wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I know what you mean, I experience it every time I try to have a conversation about something that's not in the main stream media.

While I agree that probably 90% of the crap on the internet is false the truth is out there also. You just have to search it out and do a lot of research.

So many people's heads are buried in the sand and don't have a clue what's really going in society. I can't say I am not jealous sometimes and sometimes wish I was still blind.....Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

So many things you can't un-learn or un-see and once you start paying attention it's a downhill slide.....

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Its all how you phrase the discussion that makes the difference. How I go about it is simple...and lets use the aspartame example just for the hell of it.

Me:
You know, I visit this conspiracy website just for some entertainment and who knows..might learn something odd. Now, you know what annoys me is that they take like 80% truth and mix in 20% crazy, making the whole thing seem true, and then it ultimately being crazy..like for instance. They are discussing aspartame, right? ok, now fine..studies show its just a incredible disaster for the body..so they take this fact, then they add that it is this giant new world order agenda to dumb down people..so suddenly if you know the simple facts of aspartame, you then should, by some absurd reason, think its these hidden elitists trying to conquer the world..totally ignoring the more reasonable explanation of it being just simply ruthless corporations trying to squeeze a buck out of people without concern. Seriously, I don't know why I bother even checking these sites..I guess just to set them straight when I can before actual issues get tossed into the loony bin category.

There ya have it. you passed off aspartame issues as a fact and pretty much a sidenote of the actual issue. you also had that comfortable judgemental attitude they also have (siding with them) and didn't upset their worldview on anything (because you didn't challenge them..you invited them to shake your fist at the other guys, meanwhile, slipping in info in a way that that they will think they also shared..

When you challenge someones worldview...no matter how obvious it is, you will meet resistance. its human nature. presentation is key.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
Yep, they'll think you're loony for believing in that. Kind of shows the power of government doesn't it?

Not at all..it shows the stubbornness of man in a challenge. No need to blame the government for how we think.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Because of this I now forward them every single hoax I can find with titles like 'ZOMG I SSSSSSOOOO TOLD YOU! ZOMBIE ALIEN NWO ILLUMINATI SPACE PLAGUE FROM MARS KILLZORS YOUR HOPE!!!"

Well, that is pretty insane..there is nothing much on mars. the zombie nwo space plague would have had to come from venus or elsewhere...come on man, where is your critical thinking!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I get nothing but mocked by people esp my family on my views.

Wait, aren't most of your threads dealing with cooking?

New tactic..cook them something, then once they are finished, say you seen the recipe is on a conspiracy website you visit...then suggest that because of that, clearly they didn't eat due to nothing about it being true.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Oh same here believe me Mblah... "Hey I want your stuffed oven chicken recipe that has the onions/peppers/mozz cheese wrapped in foil btw.
" When people laugh or mock me I just say "Just go look it up! Do your own research".. Many are just affraid of truth and you invading that little "safe" bubble they are in by being ignorant.

*edit* My parents though have listened to me more the last couple years though because I have been drilling them with it for many years now. They are just slow to come around I guess.

Gs
edit on 6-4-2013 by GermanShep because: Add

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Actually I have experienced this to a degree in my real life. Two members of my family tend to dismiss anything I say because they are aware that I am a moderator on a "conspiracy" site.

Oh I get the fact i'm on ATS thrown in my face all the time! It's always "oh you and your crazy conspiracy site and virtual friends." I laugh because ATS has actually taught me a lot on various topics. It's a starting point for many things I read about when I need to find links and honestly I have found some really good links on here.

Seriously it's bad enough that I can say "Nice day today, huh?" and get the reply "You need to stop reading that ridiculous stuff on the Internet!" like some automatic reflex.

I get something similar lol It's usually "oh so you believe the govt is keeping you from...." It is so annoying!

Yeah, they don't like me much.

HAHA!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You can't win with these kind of people.....they want to believe everything they are told in the mainstream because they feel comfortable in it.

I get very frustrated too when I attempt to have a conversation with some of my family or friend's and they just dismiss it as me getting some silly or fanciful idea off the internet....especially a subject I've researched for a few week's.

Even more frustrating when I try to tell them about a particular subject for ages and I get dismissed.....then all of a sudden someone on the TV or in some article they read say's the same thing and they all of a sudden believe it as gospel!

I was very young when I had my first child and I felt pressured into taking various kind's of pain relief including an epidural. It was a nightmare! My next two children I delivered without any kind of pain relief at all and they were both far better experience's. Good on you for taking the initiative to fully research it and make up your own mind about what you want. People don't realize or tell you that getting a negative experience during childbirth effects your wellbeing and recovery afterwards.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

mblahnikluver...just realize that you are better informed than they are. Try to be content, that you are so far ahead of the curve, when TSHTF...guess who'll be the one they will be coming to for advice.

You weren't put on this planet to paper train adults. You have a new life, your Child, coming...

Focus on giving your Child, the benefits of your gift, of digging for the real answers, not just accepting what you're told.

There's an old saying...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You just have a lot of horses in your life. If they choose, to die of thirst...it's not your problem.

Des

edit on 6-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Boy howdy, do I feel you!

Another gripe I have is my sister.
I tell her something I learned from say science.com, and it goes against her
beliefs she says I'm an idiot for believing something on the internet.

Its a legitimate website, and I know enough to check out white house.com
when I warn of a political issue, but let her want to prove something,
FACEBOOK NEVER LIES!!!

edit on 6-4-2013 by terriblyvexed because: i can't spell

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
My 'family' has eaten my words...never mind the interweb, I gave them information for years (mainly health related) out of concern for them (of course)...luckily I am both patient (to barbs, such as you and others have experienced) and not an 'I told you so' person (as if they would remember me saying anything anyway)...

Sometimes 'proof' takes years to surface...

A99

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logos23

You can't win with these kind of people.....they want to believe everything they are told in the mainstream because they feel comfortable in it.

Agreed. I have had some friends who actually ask me for my input on various topics they know I read about. I then give them links to read for themselves. My family mostly just says I read too much on the internet and I spend too much time on ATS. Funny thing is most the information I find isn't from ATS!

I get very frustrated too when I attempt to have a conversation with some of my family or friend's and they just dismiss it as me getting some silly or fanciful idea off the internet....especially a subject I've researched for a few week's.

Same here!! It's like how can they dismiss you when they themselves have never looked into the topic at hand?! It's like with my sister and the aspartame thing. I guarantee she just went to the aspartame website since that is what she linked me to for her "facts" and didnt even look elsewhere. It's not her thing to look into anything! She will just blindly believe in it. Her bf is doing a new diet that involves all natural ingredients and she was mocking him for it. I thought well at least he KNOWS what's up maybe you should listen! He has cut out various foods that are harmful or foods that have certain ingredients, just like I have. I don't see how that is a bad thing yet she finds me to be crazy for doing so.

Even more frustrating when I try to tell them about a particular subject for ages and I get dismissed.....then all of a sudden someone on the TV or in some article they read say's the same thing and they all of a sudden believe it as gospel!

OMG I know!! I know that is how my sister is. If i read something i always make sure I check multiple sources before I form an opinion. Many times that takes me weeks of reading on a subject.

I was very young when I had my first child and I felt pressured into taking various kind's of pain relief including an epidural. It was a nightmare! My next two children I delivered without any kind of pain relief at all and they were both far better experience's. Good on you for taking the initiative to fully research it and make up your own mind about what you want. People don't realize or tell you that getting a negative experience during childbirth effects your wellbeing and recovery afterwards.

Its just frustrating that i"m getting crap for not wanting one. I did in the beginning but over time reading about them and talking to people who have had both a natural birth and one with an epidural they all have said they preferred the experience WITHOUT due to problems they had. I know not all have problems but i have a low tolerance for meds period so I really dont want to take that chance. I am also not afraid of the pain or child birth. I mean women have been having babies for centuries without epidurals or any kind of pain relief! I just don't like the possible side effects for me or my baby so I'd rather just not take the risk. I wish people would respect that instead of insult me because I chose to read up on it instead of just take my doctors word for it that it's 100% safe. They don't even discuss the side effects with you which I found odd so I did my own research and I dont like what I have found. I am not saying they are bad but for me it's not something I want to do.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
Boy howdy, do I feel you!

Another gripe I have is my sister.
I tell her something I learned from say science.com, and it goes against her
beliefs she says I'm an idiot for believing something on the internet.

I hear ya!! I look at the internet as a vast virtual library with all kinds of information. You just have to weed thru the crap to get to the good stuff! I love the internet. It's probably my favorite invention lol I have always loved to read and learn new things and with the internet I CAN do that and I do do that. I enjoy it very much.

Its a legitimate website, and I know enough to check out white house.com
when I warn of a political issue, but let her want to prove something,
FACEBOOK NEVER LIES!!!

edit on 6-4-2013 by terriblyvexed because: i can't spell

LOL yea FB is the all knowing
I had a few friends get pissy with me because they kept posting this ridiculous hoax on FB and I told them it wasn't true. They insulted me and said oh did you read that on your "conspiracy" site. Everything always comes back to ATS like it's a bad thing I read ATS lol It's called no I looked it up on GOOGLE and found out it was a hoax. It's not hard to back check a story to see if it's true before ou go posting it!!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I am so sick and tired of this. I am over it!

I do a lot of personal research and reading on various topics. I get nothing but mocked by people esp my family on my views. I am the one doing the researching not them! They just believe what they are told and do nothing to look into things for themselves.

Hang out with different people. Family - well just ignore them the best you can. People who don't know anything tend to talk a lot - people who know things... not so much.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't believe this thread. Or it's replies.

But I gave the O/P a S&F anyway.

edit on 6-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
I don't believe this thread. Or it's replies.

But I gave the O/P a S&F anyway.

edit on 6-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

Haha this made me laugh

Thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join