It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice from the older generation of ATS.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I can not express how grateful I am for all these heartfelt replies. While I have seen lots of arguing and disagreement on ATS this post proves my belief that the forum is a strong community. I have always respected those older than me, recently I watched a documentary concerning the disrespect towards the senior age citizens in America and the difference from that in Japan. I believe that many people in my generation have lost respect, but I also feel that there are many great people in my generation it's sometimes just hard to find them. I also feel that a story from an elder tops any fictional movie.

All the information I have received have aided my worries, I will admit I was fearful of an economic collapse or other sort of disaster but following advice of other members I will not live in fear as it is counter productive.

When I lived with my father I camped all the time, I have gone camping in a tent, tent trailer, and a sleeping bag outside. I also love the outdoors.

I hope this doesn't go of track of the initial point of the thread but I feel I can relate too and others in my generation could to a variety of things. While I am conflicted if it is just a mindset or an actual condition I believe the problem of ADD and ADHD is something that plagues my generation. I read that this can be connected to fluoride and that also worries me. There are so many things I want to do but sometimes I find myself moving away from a half-finished project/gesture and starting a new one. But I have made a conscious effort to fix this and it has been going go so far.

I am not sure about my peers but an aspect that is a big part of my personality is escapism. I guess I am unhappy sometimes with the way of the world so I use fictional/fantasy books to go to another, more exciting, world where good always wins. But in reality good seldom wins and I am far from good myself.

I believe my generation has been corrupted by media and materialism and a consumer society. Also, while good self-image is good the self-esteem and everyone gets a ribbon program that all kids experience does not lead to humble self image but arrogant self image.

When I was younger I experienced lots of ridicule along with other factors which ruined my self-image. While I am not saying that is a positive I guess it did help me be more conscious of those around me. I also believe at the age of 14 I grew up fast, a variety of factors made my mental health poor (not a disorder, though some doctors may say that, just melancholy I guess). This drove me to drug addiction with serious chemicals, that hardened me and I went through a lot of terrible things. That is all in the past and for some reason I still kept my grades up throughout that so there hasn't been lasting impacts. I guess I view it as a positive because it made me stronger and more confident in myself.

I guess some of the experiences I have gone through have helped me prepare for difficult situations but a disaster situation is much more difficult to deal with. I love being in nature and I feel like I would enjoy camping by myself one time in dense woods and see how I deal with it, but I am still a youth and parental permission would be difficult. I am not sure if I already mentioned this but I will also keep in mind that I should not live by fear.

In conclusion, I have enjoyed reading everyone's story's and advice. Also, by older members I meant any aged adult I guess. I know a few members mentioned stories of war in Vietnam along with other aspects and my heart goes out to you for going through and surviving.

P.S - I hope my ADD tendencies haven't made me jump around different topics in this thread and I hope this post in comprehensible.

Edit: P.S.S - Someone said my mom did a great job and I just wanted to take a moment to say that she is lovely woman who has made me the man I am today. God knows I have made her worry and cry but she still loves me and I have eternal gratitude towards her.

edit on 5-4-2013 by vendettent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by vendettent

I won't quote your post because that is a mighty big one

I must say though I am very impressed with your outlook and and questioning of life, just goes to show that age does not equal wisdom.

You have good perception and show goods signs that you will grow into a good strong man( heck your already their in my eyes) non of us are perfect but we can better ourselves with our past experiences.

I too had pretty much the same problem around your age with drugs (hard one's) and i'm impressed that you have came out on top
I screwed my education up at that time in my life... still got grades just nowhere near what I should have.

P.S. your mother obviously has done a great job and as long as show gratitude your doing a good job too

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

I won't quote your post because that is a mighty big one

I must say though I am very impressed with your outlook and and questioning of life, just goes to show that age does not equal wisdom.

You have good perception and show goods signs that you will grow into a good strong man( heck your already their in my eyes) non of us are perfect but we can better ourselves with our past experiences.

I too had pretty much the same problem around your age with drugs (hard one's) and i'm impressed that you have came out on top
I screwed my education up at that time in my life... still got grades just nowhere near what I should have.

P.S. your mother obviously has done a great job and as long as show gratitude your doing a good job too

Thanks for the reply Ray. Its nice to know that you came out on top from drugs regardless of grades. I wont name the specific one but my problem involved needles and I have done a horrible things in the past to acquire this thing and all these actions weigh heavily on my conscience. I am happy to say that I feel content with life now. After I stopped using substances life felt so dull because nothing came close to the feeling of what I was doing before. While I know there is a lot of abuse in the police system I am grateful to two local officers in my town as I couldn't of quit without their support and mercy (not arresting me in a certain situation). I guess I got on substances because I had no friends starting highschool and I made friends with someone who was a skilled manipulator and really sucked me in, but overall it is my fault for choosing to use substances.

As I previously mentioned, my substance use and my getting clean made me a stronger person and better equipped to deal with hardship.

Another byproduct from my hardship is the lack of trust people have in me now but I am glad I redeemed myself to my family and friends, the friends who stuck with me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Sweetheart......and I hope you don't mind the term of endearment, it's the Mommy inside of me talking..

Your doing Great, and so is your Mom and Dad, there is no "script" to life...I was never blessed with a Son, but my Nephew who is a few years older then you just left to go to UCLA this year...I'm glad you have kept your grades up, and hope you consider going to College....it's such a great time in life....I just saw my Nephew at Easter and he is having a ball, he Loves it !

Your response was well thought out and heartwarming....don't let all these idiots convince you have ADD or whatever crap they are telling children, especially little boys, focus and follow through are something we Learn.

I have enjoyed your thread, and learned some things myself actually....you / we all got some great advice here....all anyone can do is thier best...and I have "faith" you will do just that.... no matter what happens...♥

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thanks, it may just be a similar avatar but I believe that you replied to one of my other threads and (possibly) even defended me so (if so) I am eternally grateful and even not it has been great having you post in my thread! I am sure any son would be honored to have you as a mother.

I wish the best of you in your future!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by vendettent

I apologize if this is a stupid or hard to answer question and I hope that this is the appropriate forum.

Don't apologize it weren't a stupid question or concern. You appear to be enlightened because there are too many adults failing to see the vast changes taking place NOW. Although those changes aren't to be feared they also shouldn't be ignored.There's this prevailing illusion that everything will remain the same and all those as you put it so well "luxuries" will always be available. These illusions my young friend are this society's weaknesses.

Your mom sounds like she's the best person to learn firsthand on how to survive challenging times. Talk with your mother about what you be may sensing is or has happened. Remember this, adults and children alike will have to adapt to any and all challenges presented to them.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Vendettent,

I've been thinking about this kind of subject a great deal over the last few days. Every generation of youth is given something to fear. It's been that way for a long time. In my and my mother's generations, it was fear that an atomic bomb or nuclear weapon was going to drop on our heads and our world could be obliterated at any second. For my mom, it was "Duck and Cover". Take a few minutes and watch this video of actual film that they showed school children when my mother was growing up. Imagine the sort of fear that would be created by such suggestions and how ludicrous they seem today.

In my generation, Gen-X, we had the same fears shoved down our throats. The USSR could chose to initiate "an all out nuclear war" that would assure "mutual destruction". I use those quotes for a reason because I guarantee that every Gen-X remembers these words and this fear. Films on the subject were released such as War Games or, more notably on national television no less, The Day After.

The special effects seem laughable but they are interlaced with actual footage from atomic bomb tests that took place in the 50's. Watching it terrified me out of my mind though something still jangled in my noggin that we wouldn't be so epically stupid to do such a thing on such a scale. Even with that little rational thought in my head, I still feared "assured mutual destruction".

Fear does such interesting things to the brain. It reduces the ability to think rationally and increases cognitive dysfunction. It assures that we look to others in positions of authority to "save us" as we flounder. Every generation had its fear. The Silent Generation had their worldview utterly shaped by the Great Depression. Baby Boomers and Gen-X--the threat of atomic/nuclear holocaust. The difference is which was a real fear and which was simply and perhaps intentionally propagated by our own government. Is it societal collapse for Millenials and younger as displayed through zombie apocalypse memes, games and movies or shows like Revolution? I don't know but I do know, as a Gen X, that what we were told to fear never came to pass.

That said, change and disaster are inevitable. However, change occurs slowly because of the moderate nature of humanity. Disaster can come in many faces and, if natural, one either survives or they don't. It could be that we are indeed heading towards the Great Depression 2.0. At the same time, a meteor can plummet into the face of the earth and wipe us all out at any given moment. There are things that one can control and things that one cannot. The best advice that I can give on these matters is to control that which you can--fear. Be prepared for little disasters that you may be at risk for in your locale (ie I'm an earthquake hazard area and have water, lanterns, canned food and sterno for a week). Shield yourself from being consumed by media propagated fear. Look at history as a lesson in the cycles and disasters that humanity has faced and never once forget that we are a species of survivors. If you think about it, we all descend from survivors of such things like the genetic bottleneck from around 65,000 years ago. Our ancestors survived the Ice Age, the fall of Rome, the Black Death, wars and more to get us here at this very moment. That is strength and that is humanity.

You're a good kid and I bet your mom is probably very proud of you. If you were my son, I definitely would be.

edit on 5/4/13 by WhiteAlice because: I'm an apparent youtube linking idiot today.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If I were in your situation, I would start by visiting my local library.

There is a host of information available about camping, hunting, fishing, food storage etc
You could even branch out to simple construction and gardening.

Then I would list what I thought were the very best sources of information and consider purchasing a few books.

I would also look seriously into my education. There will always be jobs available for necessary professions. Think engineering. You could talk to your school counselors about educational prospects and careers. I would avoid discussion of anything related to disaster preparations. If there is a depression, the country will mobilize to build it's way out of the depression. You should research the Great Depression to see what people did.

Just for fun, you should Grow a tomato plant this year in your back yard or in a container. It's not hard and you can eat what you grow.

I would also encourage you to take a frugal approach to life. Think about things before you purchase. Can you get them somewhere else cheaper. Soon, you'll be of college age. Frugality is an asset unless you're made of money.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Okay, this is a very perceptive thing to be thinking about. If you are like me, and experienced a comfortable lifestyle with your middle-class family, went to college, and then graduated in 2010 only to find that the job market was nonexistent and had to meet the shock of living on less than $1,000 a month ...

It is a shock. I had to live with my parents for two years doing things like door-to-door sales for College Pro painters until I finally earned enough money to move out of my parents' house in with my room-mates.

How is your generation with socializing in person or making close friends / having close relationships? This is a super important skill that your generation might be lacking. As well as being able to do things without the help of the internet, possibly? If the electronics go down, would you be okay?

I would focus on that, and also at the moment, I have had to learn how to budget and be happy living with less. A lot of it is more learned through experience than reading... also, word-of-mouth transference while with someone in person who has the skills at the appropriate time.
edit on 5-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Not a stupid question at all... Dan Carlin from the Common Sense podcast talked about this very subject. Fact of the matter is everybody's grandparents can kick their kids ass. More specifically every generation gets easier and easier on the following generation through technology or society thus creating a 'weaker' (in this case how hard life actually is... acquiring food NOT at a local supermarket etc.) Look at it like another degree of separation from the concept that 'life is hard'. Believe me it is. Society acts to make that easier, to advent or detriment... it could be interpreted either way.

There is another thing you should know that how you are feeling isn't unique. There are plenty of people you may know or not know has this knowledge at your age. Usually it gets passed down one way or another or taught through something like the boy scouts or whatever. Another thing of note is that I think most of the people here on ATS have felt the same way about the same topic. There are always other people out there. There is a very slim chance what you are thinking or feeling is unique to the human race.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

If I was 16 again... I would not be on ATs wasting my time. i would be out getting stuff done. My suggestion stop being on the net so often and go outside.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

If I was 16 again... I would not be on ATs wasting my time. i would be out getting stuff done. My suggestion stop being on the net so often and go outside.

Just an observation on my part. If the OP took your advice, look at all the wonderful information he'd have missed out on, by asking his questions here. ATS is a cornucopia, of life experience knowledge, for him to learn from.

Yes, the internet in moderation at his age, but using the internet in the ways he is using it...is admirable in my book.

Des

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Glenn Beck can your support your thesis.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Sony, remember a few things. If there is any good friend, it has to be your mother. Don't trust others. It doesn't mean you have to freeze. Try get to know farming families. In emergencies find a cave. Under ground temperature stays 65 degrees year around. If you can find organic dry corn, maze, kidney beans, chuck peas, it will help you not to go hungry. On the internet Google survival and you will find ton of articles but read that makes the most sense. Never be scared. Death is only once. You can fight any thing. When you are scared you lost half the battle.
You can help others if you can but not at the cost of your own life. Just keep your eyes and ears open. If you are honest in your heart, you will survive. There will be times you will trust some one that will not be worthy of trust and also you will not trust others but they will be worthy of trust. What ever judgement you make never regret it. But at the same token look at it as experience. My prayers will be with you. You are a good kid, schooling is very important. It is the kind of wealth that the more you spend it the more you gain from it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Its nice to know that you came out on top from drugs regardless of grades

That's it though I never back then and I am still reaping the seeds that I had sown, quite happily though I must add, I failed and that was my fault the best thing I can do is try to redeem what I wasted and better myself as a person.

Your story reminds me of a person I once dearly loved, she too had major problems because of falling in the wrong crowd and it all happened in very similar circumstances... new to a school and knew nobody and she fell into the "cool" crowd long story short ended up on drugs and surrounded by @ssh*le's. She is the toughest and most inspirational person I know though, looking at her past you would have never guessed her future.

While I know there is a lot of abuse in the police system I am grateful to two local officers in my town as I couldn't of quit without their support and mercy (not arresting me in a certain situation).

I agree with you on the abuse of the police system but as you know there is some gems in the police still, I'm glad that fortune passed some your way

Another byproduct from my hardship is the lack of trust people have in me now but I am glad I redeemed myself to my family and friends, the friends who stuck with me.

I can only judge from what I have seen and from what I have seen is that you are a open and honest person, I mean look over your posts and what you have said... most people wouldn't dare contemplate never mind speak out aloud what you have said. That may be a byproduct of the lack in trust people you know have for you? but either way acceptance and honesty is a liberating thing, I'm glad you had the family and friends around to help you in your time of need.

Most of all though as mentioned I commend your honesty.
A rare occurrence in today's world

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by vendettent
While I know that picking up a book is the best way to learn survival skills my question is how can I cope mentally with an abolishment of our societal system, if that were to happen.

First - there are no stupid questions.
Second - if you Know that Picking up a Book is the best way - do it.
Third - Stay in the now. By worrying about what might happen - you are wasting energy and time. Make the most out of now.
Fourth - practise, practise, practise. Book knowledge is one thing, but experience will win almost everytime.
Fifth - Stop buying into other people's BS and fear mongering. It's all a matter of perception - and what you give your attention to (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) is what your reality will be. Stop living those worries over and over in your head.
Sixth - Have fun...... Climb a tree.
edit on 6-4-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Well said.

Sixth - Have fun...... Climb a tree.

I wonder if I could still do that. That was the best thing ever! I climbed a million trees when I was younger, and there was nothing better than sitting in the top of tree basking in the glory of nature.

Thinking back, wow. No regrets.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Not many people I know in your generation, usually thinks they way you are now; Or in any ones generation.. It's always a good feeling to know that there are still good people, with a good head on their shoulders, trying to not only prepare for what may come but, thinking clearly as well.

Logic.Science.

It will answer a lot of questions. More than most realize. I or any body may not necessarily have all the answers but i will suggest looking into meditation and how your body has energy surrounding it. Learning how to control it. Look into it more than just sitting with your legs crossed and your eyes closed. Focus on being connected with your surroundings. Feel the energy you have. Feel the energy everywhere. Stay in tune with yourself and the universe, more than anything. Learn to recognize your feelings, thoughts and emotions. Once you are willing and able to that. You will find an inner peace and find yourself with more control over your emotions, thoughts and feelings. You will naturally learn how to think quickly and clearly before you react to any given situation, positive or negative. I've come to learn that is the key to our self. It could take time or it will be a natural occurrence with you. It depends on how determined you are, how open you are to new ideas, new ways of thinking, your attitude in life, the little things will make a difference not only in your life but others as well.

Question everything, even if it makes some people or yourself, uneasy. We may not know one another for now but I will tell you from experience, I have found the calm you are looking for. It's always been about balance. Meditate. Connect to your mind, body and soul. Find out who you really, truly are. I hope this helps you along journey. Maybe you will find answers to questions we all have..

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Some simple advice from me.

You can worry all you like about pain, suffering and death etc but it won't get you anywhere at all, except more worried.

So don't do it.

You experience an amazing universe every day. Enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

My suggestion to you is to test yourself in being ALONE. I'm over sixty and aloneness is harder than you think. During your summer vacation from school why don't you find a safe motel. Stay one week but do not use the phone, don't answer the door, don't watch tv or listen to music. Practice silence. Pretend you are hiding from everyone and everything. Take foods with you that do not need cooking. Take water. You cant leave your room for ice remember???? Come back and tell everyone what your ALONE time taught you. If you survive one week, the after a couple days break.....try it again only with less food. Being alone is something no one can teach you but something you must learn because when things get ugly, there is no TEAM there is no trust. Desperate people do desperate things. If you cannot survive being alone, nothing else will matter.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join