It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses offered to help me be a good dad.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Went across the road to the shops this morning to get the paper, saw a gaggle of Jehovah's Witnesses about to walk down my alleyway.

I asked them nicely to not knock on my door as my kids were there and one wasn't feeling great. They are in their early teens but i still didn't want them bothering them.

I get the response, "Well you may want to take one of our booklets, there's info in there on how to be a good dad".

I replied, "I'm already a good dad, i don't need to read that to be told that thank you!.....don't knock on my door please." They replied, "The Lord can help you be a better dad".

Really got my goat up. Sorry, i know it's not a major thing, but i go out of my way to be a good dad, always have done, always will do. I don't need people telling me that imaginary people in the sky can help me be a better person to my kids.

Maybe i should put my kids out on the street and leave them to starve for a week, i'm sure God will be there to clothe and feed them.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

What you experienced with (those people) is extremely annoying and I think insulting; I think your responses were very appropriate and well said.

They need to mind their own business.

edit on 2-4-2013 by caladonea because: add more

edit on 2-4-2013 by caladonea because: add more

edit on 2-4-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'd be seeing red too.

You handled yourself better than I would have.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Forewarning, I'm about to play the Devil's Advocate here:

From their perspective, the inspiration and guidance they glean from their faith helps them in all ways. Just like saying, "This class can help you be a better writer", they believed their spiritual path could provide clarity and security that would benefit your role as a father. You really shouldn't begrudge them their positive intentions just because you wouldn't have done it the same way. They weren't insulting your skill as a father. They didn't even know you. You said your piece, they offered their own brand of assistance, and you declined. End of story.
edit on 2-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, i have friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses, they do know not to preach to me as i'm not that way inclined though. I don't like to judge people, no matter what religion they follow, despite the fact that i have more than enough want and ammo.

I just hate, and yes i know hate is a strong word......but i really do hate people who think they can push their beliefs onto me. Keep it to yourself.

I won't judge if you don't harp on about whats right and wrong in my life.

See, in my eyes, after some thought on the matter, i believe that the key to world peace and all that is to live and let live. Do not judge.

I have many many friends who follow very different paths, the only problem i see is that they can't accept paths different to theirs. That's the secret, if you don't like the fact that people either believe or don't believe in whatever idol, keep your opinions to yourself.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I always,send them to my father in law who lives 20 miles away pmsl
He slams the door in their faces for some reason

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I brought them in to my house once cos i lived in the country and never saw many folks lol

Well anyway i brought them in and started talking about football and boxing (that was my ex's fault) i talked for hours and not one word about God until they where leaving as we had a wee prayer which i thought was awful sweet of them, i gave them my number and asked them to call again soon, i never got that call or saw them again, i wonder why

My youngest daughter had a hang over once when they called at her door and because she was so ill they cleaned her house made her lunch and washed the dishes lol a very wise girl is my youngest!!

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Fair point.

Hopefully next time they'll realize that when i turn down the first offer, and ask them not to knock on my door, they'll be wise enough not to ask again. It's not as though the concept of people turning down their advice would have been alien to them.

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

That was nice of them.

Would you have been ok if they told you God could help you be a better mum?

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I look at the (various spiritual belief's) this way...

God is like a huge mountain...and standing at the base of the mountain are people from every race, creed and spiritual beliefs on planet earth...they are all holding hands in a circle around the base of the mountain...and all looking up at the same mountain.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Yeah! My ex-wife was a Jehovah's witness until she renounced her faith as a teen and was shunned by her family. A booklet on being a good dad...a derogatory "PFFFT" is what I say to that. we have a lot of them around were we live. Not all of them are annoying.

My father was friends with one of them until his wife left him because he didn't want anymore children. They had 6 or 7. He couldn't handle the financial load anymore. So he told her no. She left him for an other in the parish or what ever it's called.. He was banished and couldn't see his kids anymore. She officially divorced him and got soul custody of the kids and cleaned him out. All in the name of the lord. He couldn't take it...he ended it.

So in my life I was married to one and kinda friends with an other. That's 2 Jehova's witness and both of their religious stories end in tragedy.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Perhaps there is something in their Watchtower booklets which can teach them how to be better neighbors and less annoying "messengers of Christ".

How funny they are. We used to get some out here in the boondocks about once a month. The last time they showed up was last fall. My garage was open and I have my daughter's old bedroom set stored out there, along with some other furniture which doesn't fit in our house.

They were totally interested, said they wanted to buy the stuff, took my number....and I never saw or heard from them again.

Kind of silly, if you ask me, but I supposed being embarrassed about making promises one cannot keep trumps spreading the good word of Jehovah's Kingdom.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

i think i frightened them with my boxing tips so i think they wouldn't have dared say that but i get what your saying and it wasn't very nice of them to say that to you about the being a good dad thing and your the better person for not giving them a few boxing tips of your own

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by CX

I look at the (various spiritual belief's) this way...

God is like a huge mountain...and standing at the base of the mountain are people from every race, creed and spiritual beliefs on planet earth...they are all holding hands in a circle around the base of the mountain...and all looking up at the same mountain.

And when it floods everyone drowns, screaming for their god to save them, as the mountain releases even harder flooding.

Uhh. hmm

If god was good, then this would be better. Sadly, god likes suffering. It makes him smile.

jehovas have no safety in my world. Their belief ripped apart part of my extended family, with mother against father, and children brainwashed into taking sides. Really good for a family conflicted with a white/black marriage, already strained under the pressures of society.

At least their kids, now adults, are free of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Fair point.

Hopefully next time they'll realize that when i turn down the first offer, and ask them not to knock on my door, they'll be wise enough not to ask again. It's not as though the concept of people turning down their advice would have been alien to them.

CX.

Have you always listened the first time? Don't judge them for what they have to say, understand why they want to say it. I think your opinion in this matter is far more partial than you'd like to admit.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If someone says stay away it should be respected, i never open my doors to any missionaries who comes knocking it also have said to my kid not to open door for strangers.
In here if you open once or start chatting with them they will make their marks on their book that you might be converted.. they will knock your door again.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I usually just tell them to open there bible to Luke 10:3-7, usually shuts them up right and quick as they blatantly go against that part daily. Better to shut them up quickly as there bound to say something stupid and aggravating.. Maybe somebody should give them a leaflet on how to be better messengers for God?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well it sounds like you engaged them in the shop, hence they did what they are trained to do, reacted and tried to sway you to reconsider. Perhaps my insight can help a bit on this count. I was raised as a JW (am not one for many years now), so I understand their need to 'preach' to everyone and rebutt if you will someone declining their invitation or call. They are programmed repeatedly to do such, they have what are called theocratic ministry school meetings designed to teach them (although they don't seem to get they are pushing a product) how to rebuttal someone and told it is their christian responsibility in front of Jehovah/Yahweh to do so.

For a witness they are under constant pressure to conform, to produce, to be the good 'christian' completely oblivious to the fact that they are sheep who would rival most sales persons alive at the ability to turn around a conversation to get their 'win'. This is what the Watchtower society wants of them, to live in terror of not being good enough, not doing enough in the ministry to earn their salvation at armageddon.

They were simply doing what they are 100% indoctrinated to do..shove it down your throat. The only way to effectively get witnesses not to call on your door is this magical phrase "Put me on your do not call list". You see, witnesses all keep a record of each street and house they call on, so they can also track any interested party for a callback, to witness further to them aka try to convert them via a bible study. They are indoctrinated to remove any caller who specifically asks to be put on the do not call list, this is your golden loophole people!

They will not call back, if you say it firmly and make it very clear you will not brook any re-occurance. Most of them are good people, with the best of intentions, just utterly duped by a maniacal organization and as one poster mentioned even to the point of ripping families apart. They are literally brainwashed into complete obedience of what the "governing body" says as the word of god. Not much different than Catholics and the Pope or priesthood really, only difference, these ones come to your door.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

So its more of a cult then?

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Don't judge them for what they have to say, understand why they want to say it. I think your opinion in this matter is far more partial than you'd like to admit.

Understood, but why should they feel necessary to judge that i may need better parenting skills? I could be the best damn dad on the planet with cherries on top! Who are they to say otherwise?

If i want to better myself as a parent, i'll seek that kind of help out. Have done in the past by way of parenting classes throughout my kids years, right up until teens. I do my best for them and seek out ways to do better.

I don't want people jumping on the fact that i have kids to push their religion, because lets face it, thats what they were doing. If they wanted to help me be a better parent, they'd run parenting classes, not piss everyone off by forcing religious ways on peoples doorsteps. Let people seek them out if they want to, don't pester!

A more polite and less insulting, but just as judgmental version of the Westborough Baptists IMO.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join