It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much will your funeral cost you or your loved ones?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Although it's an old article, it's still valid for the current time, i've been reading a few articles this week and hearing more on the news about the soaring cost of funerals.

With the average cost in the UK being around £3000, and costs predicted to rise thousands higher over the next few years, i'm curious whether you have opted for an expensive one or would you be happy with a cheap as possible one?

None of us likes to think about dying but with rising funeral costs you should consider how your loved ones would cope financially if they were suddenly hit with a large and possibly unexpected bill.

The average cost of a funeral has increased above inflation and average savings rates in recent years. In 2006 the average cost of a funeral was £2,225 and by 2011 this had risen to £3,368; if costs continue to rise at this rate, they are expected to reach almost £5,000 in only four short years.

Average cost of funerals to soar to almost £5,000 in the next four years

To be honest, i'm not bothered about some fancy funeral. I say that because i couldn't afford it myself, but i also would hate my relatives to have to fork out that kind of cash.

My intentions are to make mine as low impact on mine and my family's wallets as possible. I know it could be a while yet, but there is nothing wrong with doing a bit of planning.

I like the more natural approach, bury me in the woods with the trees, however i'm not sure that would be legal.

There are many people who are opting for cheaper coffins, be it cardboard or wicker, i even saw a knitted one once.

So have you thought about it? What do you reckon on the costs? Justifiable or are they just cashing in on the inevitable?

My ideal would be......buried in the woods, raise a glass for me if you wish at the local pub, and thats it. Bury me with a picture of my loved ones, and my banjo..just in case there is anything afterwards...and i'll be a happy man.

Anyone else?

CX.
edit on 2/4/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't think i would have a funeral, i hate funerals

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm getting put in a bag with a tree planted on top it costs nothing and I'm giving a new life hope

well until someone blows up the planet!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If you specify you want your body donated to Science...it will cost your family nothing.

Medical research is facing a huge deficit in medical research and training cadavers. They will pick up all expenses of getting your body, leaving your family with no out of pocket costs.

I've always fantasized about a Doctor having his way with me...after death, I'll get my wish, and then some....

Des

edit on 2-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Im gonna have them drop my body from a helicopter into a volcano.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Purification by fire.
If it was legal, I'd opt for a funeral pyre in the back yard. I think I need to go legal though, and use a bonafide crematorium.
They can turn me into a life gem (diamond) after if they want, or scatter my ashes somewhere nice.

Cremation is written into my will. I want it to be inexpensive, and the thought of rotting away in the ground horrifies me. Especially if it ever flooded, and I floated up
or was dug up by something, or moved from my resting spot :shk:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I told my family not to identify me, let the state figure out what to do with me.

I figure I'm dead, what do I care. Hand me over to a bunch of necrophiliacs.
Whatever just don't pay for me being dead!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

My grandma is still alive and didn't want a burden of money on us when she passes, so she donated her body to a place called genesis. It's a medical education and research institute. They take care of everything, and once they are done they will cremate her and her ashes will go to the same place my mom is buried.

I don't want a funeral either and am more than likely gonna do what she did and donate my body.

Peace and love
-nat cat-

edit on 2-4-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I had a good laugh at the thought of bodies floating down the main streets of somewhere

Thank you for making my day

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I carry a Donor card that says they can have every single bit of me
(lets face it they have been after my body for years lol )so after (I think) 4 years after I die they bury what is left.
I think it should be the other way around If you do not want your body to help others after death you carry a card saying so.
So many people just forget to leave their body to science but when asked they wouldn't mind.
So If you have not got a donor card go and get one.

UK
www.organdonation.nhs.uk...

USA
www.organdonor.gov...

So go on do it, help others after you die.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well done if every young person was like you the world would be a nicer place and for being smart you get a star from granny

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Young
why thank you I have grey in my beard, hair and hair down there

Chuffed me up a little

But yes it takes 10 mins to save maybe many lives...do it all of you help others after you die....

Again instead of watching adverts on telly do it do it now!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

it was the boy bit that got me lol when I came onto ATS folks used to call me dude and buddy that's why I had to get an avitar to go looksey I'm a chick

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Check into it though...you'd be surprised...cremation and burial can be roughly the same in the end. Recently (in the past couple of years), I've been involved with the planning and financial steps involved in two funerals and burials. One of these, we paid for, and as I recall, the total bill (cremation, and urn, funeral, etc.) was around $11K (my wife's father). My wife's mother's (we helped in the planning of this one) was around $35K (burial and funeral, but also a 2 person crypt). Her aunt (her mom's sister) paid for that though (she's a millionaire, she can afford it).

My wife and I are basically getting into kind of a pre-planned/pre-paid kind of thing, where we pay a monthly amount towards it, so our loved ones won't be burdened with it like we were. We don't want any of our loved ones going through that should we depart this world (nor do we want it to fall on the other, if one of us goes first). Of course, we also do life insurance too, but that can take some time to claim, meanwhile, the funeral home needs to be paid prior to getting that.

I will say, that I think funerals can provide a bit of closure. Is it worth the money? I think so, especially if it is done more as a celebration of that person's life. Personally, I'd be happy in an urn, but my wife's beliefs are more on burial, so silly to be different here.

edit on 2-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
ps to much info about your grey bits I blushed lol

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

My leg hair? why? what did you think I mean?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

blushing at myself this time

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
We just buried a family member. He was 41 years young. He was my first cousin and he was one of the best guys I know. It cost $5,200 and that was funeral only. Visiting was 11-2 for family and 12-2 for friends and funeral started at 2. The plot was given by my dad so there was no cost for it. So for a few hours seeing your loved one we paid 5,200. I say we because family, friends and places of employment s ( the fathers job gave and the sons job gave) gave money to help. It made me think he is a year younger than me and I do not want to leave my child to worry about coming up with the money for mine. It cost way too much for the little you get.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kaidec

What about the interment and coffin cost? I'm assuming the embalming, prep was in the funeral cost?
The cost of funerals is really something the average person only finds out about when it is too late to do much about it.

BTW, I'm sorry for your loss.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
BTW made a thread about donation here it is

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join