It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 cougars shot, killed in B.C.'s Okanagan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Two cougars have been shot and killed in the Okanagan, including one spotted by children playing outside adaycare in Winfield, B.C. On Wednesday, children were playing outside the Lake Country Boys and Girls Club during their recess break when they spotted the animal, which was sleeping in a tree. "The daycare supervisor went and looked and saw a long tail," said Tobilynn Siemens, the centre's director. Staff immediately took the children inside and called for help. "Nobody was scared, everybody just walked right back into the building. The kids just thought they were going in for lunch. It was a just big kitty cat to them."

www.cbc.ca...

------------------------
I understand. It's about if your kids were there. If they saw a cougar.

Bottom line.. Shoot to kill (I guess?)

edit on 30-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555

Our habitat, our rules.

Does the spider who walks across my kitchen floor get differential treatment?

At the end of the day we are animals.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Our habitat, our rules.

Does the spider who walks across my kitchen floor get differential treatment?

At the end of the day we are animals.

You say that now.

Wait until your car breaks down on a lonely stretch of BC forest highway.

You'd better hope the felines aren't armed and carrying sideways like they have gangsta skillZ.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

We're smart enough..I thought there was something called tranqs,,

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
We have bears wandering into one of the mid sized cities around here at least once a year. They've never had to shoot one, just tranq and release I think.

I remember being about 7 and walking to school with my cousin in downtown Albany NY and hearing horse hooves on the cobblestones behind us. It was weird because that wasn't part of the city where you would normally see horses (police or tourism). We turned around and it was a 1400lb, 6'7" moose. Did you know they charge? First time I ever swore.

Anyway, they even sedated that after it charged over a dozen people. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same to a sleeping cougar. Wonder if there's more to it?
edit on 3/30/13 by Magnivea because: Fixed Russian accent sounding typo. "Sleepink."

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

We're smart enough..I thought there was something called tranqs,,

Probably didn't want to have to deal with the costs of moving it around and releasing.

I agree with you on that, the necessity to kill wasn't existent, no harm done. But it was their choice to make.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
People think not being able to go to trial is a injustice,
Hows about wagging your tail and game freaking over, I dunno something wrong about this story.
Such a beautiful animal, not too much respect.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Conservation officers shot and killed the young cougar after determining the animal was in poor health. Earlier on Wednesday, another cougar was shot and killed at a farm in nearby Oyama, B.C. A male cougar had been attacking livestock and pets at a local farm

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

fair enough... I guess..but what of the other?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

People think not being able to go to trial is a injustice,
Hows about wagging your tail and game freaking over, I dunno something wrong about this story.

Imagine a society of highly evolved cougars going about their daily business when all of sudden in the brush is a wild human just peering at them with hunger in it's eyes waiting for the right moment.

Tranq the hungry human or kill it with your cougar gun so no more humans come back?

lol..

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Sounds like the other one was being very aggressive. These are not kitteh cats. They will tear your face off and crush your jugular in a matter of seconds.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

That's why I posted. Trigger happy.
Kids were in awe.. (in this situation)
What happened to kitty?

Well kitty got her brains blown out, instead of tranqs.. for looking at you...

edit on 30-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Regarding the one the kids saw, the article says:

Conservation officers shot and killed the young cougar after determining the animal was in poor health

The other one shot, was apparently doing what cougars do, hunting the easy prey:

Earlier on Wednesday, another cougar was shot and killed at a farm in nearby Oyama, B.C. A male cougar had been attacking livestock and pets at a local farm.

Both quotes from: www.cbc.ca...

I'm curious to know how they knew the sleeping cougar was in poor health? Did they tranq/capture it first, or did they just assume and shoot? If they did the latter, that's despicable. I suppose if the big cat had traumatic visible wounds, then the death could be justified. I really hate seeing gravely injured wild animals, it makes them vulnerable and more dangerous, in that they're more desperate to defend themselves if they still can. If the cat was that bad off, ending it's suffering was probably the best possible choice at that point. Otherwise, like I said, if they just assumed injury/ill health without prior proof & shot it, then that's despicable.

The second cougar, I don't get it. Between the US & Canada, plenty of bears doing exactly the same thing get darted & moved well before anyone considers killing it. Why not the cougar as well?

edit on 3/30/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/30/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

There is probably a bigger issue behind these desensitized predatory animals like an exploding deer population in and around urban areas.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Cougars around kids. They're talking big cats aren't they?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Once the place was cordoned off they probably had the time (by the sound of the msm) to tranq it. I understand what you'[re saying, but it's not always so black and white when it comes to animal relations..

new topics

top topics

join