It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

independent Films...Whats your favorite?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hello everyone!

This is my first official post! Woo! I am a long time reader, first time poster.

Anyways I have recently started getting into Independent Films and have found that most of them are excellently made, even though they are lost in mix with all the #ty B quality Hollywood films that have millions of dollars to market themselves.

From what I have seen so far Independent films seem to have soul. You can actually tell that the person who made it actually cares about the film instead of the money that comes afterward.

So what's your favorite?

So far I enjoy....

Chasing Amy

Clerks

Lars and the Real Girl

Sleepwalk with me

Trainspotting

God Bless America

Good Will Hunting

Charlie Bartlett

Company Men

Everything Must Go

What's eating Gilbert Grape

Adventureland

Sling Blade

The Darwin Awards

....These are just a few that I picked out of my recently watched on netflix....

What are some other great ones?
edit on 27-3-2013 by cavedweller88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The loved ones, it's an Australian film watched it last night...it's a horror movie, sort of like texas chainsaw massacre...minus the chainsaw(s)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

Dear cavedweller88,

I have to go to the oldies first. Easy Rider, it changed the way movies were made and allowed the independent to go mainstream. We must also salute "Gone in 60 Seconds", it was made by a junkman and changed the nature of action films. Every film by Roger Coreman defines independent. And while I may not like him as a person, Michael Moore with his first film was a truly independent venture, he drove from theater to theater to get it screened. F&S.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Donnie Darko

Memento

Reservoir Dogs

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Good choices superman2012.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Winters Bone

Pink Flamingos

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The only one I didn't see posted yet was Archie's Final Project. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. I also really liked Donnie Darko and Lars and the Real Girl.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Thanks, I have not seen Easy Rider...I will remedy that in the near future.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Fitzcarraldo
Liquid Sky
Erasurehead
The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover
ANY FRENCH FILM
The Tenent
Faster Pussy Cat Kill Kill
ANY KEN RUSSEL MOVIE
The Camel that Cried
Animal Farm
Brazil
High Plains Drifter

edit on 28-3-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hey, while I am here, does anyone know of a french film, kind of filmed in the style of Brotherhood of the Wolf, where the main bad guy was a man with a mirror ball for a head? I'm not talking mysterio from spiderman either.

Edit: Have been trying to remember for a couple of years, driving myself crazy, and I just remembered it...it was a great movie:

www.imdb.com...
edit on 28-3-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Dear vethumanbeing,

All good choices, I would chose Brazil too if I had thought a little more.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear vethumanbeing,

All good choices, I would chose Brazil too if I had thought a little more.

I have a feeling its an ongoing open query--makes it so much fun for me; as we remember the pointed moments lifetime experences then, now. Happy.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Dear vethumanbeing,

I do know another director who shook me to the bones and is independent. Phantasm and Bubba Ho Tep, Bubba blew my brains and I saw it right after my father died from chemo, the beginning of that film is dead on. It may have been a comedy horror film; but, the underlying issues were hard core drama. Peace.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Dear vethumanbeing,

I do know another director who shook me to the bones and is independent. Phantasm and Bubba Ho Tep, Bubba blew my brains and I saw it right after my father died from chemo, the beginning of that film is dead on. It may have been a comedy horror film; but, the underlying issues were hard core drama. Peace.

The Kuchar Brothers express another portrayal of the wonderful playful awful dreadiness of existance. Let me go run look see about Bubba/Phantasm.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
\

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by assclown1

I'm glad you brought up Wristcutters. Not only did I love the movie, it introduced me to Golgo Bordello. Saw them live in Monterey, California. It was amazing.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Dear vethumanbeing,

I regret to say I have never heard of the Kuchar Brothers, I looked them up and I don't think I know any of their films and they made like 200. How would you describe their work? You have caught me truly flat footed.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Dear vethumanbeing,

I regret to say I have never heard of the Kuchar Brothers, I looked them up and I don't think I know any of their films and they made like 200. How would you describe their work? You have caught me truly flat footed.

How to describe? Film noir, horror, shorts, mystical, they are twins programmed but live separate film making experiences. One teaches at the San Francisco Art Inst. of Film Dept. not sure about the other, but to watch any of their 'homemades' is truely wonderful. A good start would be to DVR "IT CAME FROM KUCHAR" doc channel.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by assclown1

Wristcutters was a really good film, found it on imdb after seeing Garden State. As for my list;

Tony Kaye's "Detachment"
Richard Ayeode's "Submarine"
Michel Gondry's "Science of Sleep"
Russian war movie (one of the best war movies I have seen) Brest Fortress
and saving the best for last,
Andrew Dominik's Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford
What breathe you have left after saying the title is taken away by one of the most beautiful movies from acting to directing to the soundtrack and cinematography I have ever seen.

edit on 28-3-2013 by CaptainCanuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join