It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underrated Horror Films

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by opethPA

I've seen Dread and Book of Blood but didn't know there was another cut of Nightbreed. Thanks for the heads up! I shall investigate!

Yah , Rue Morgue (my favorite magazine) did an issue about in the last 6 months..Really a good read. The Cabal Cut of that film is closer to what Clive Barker wanted vs the theatrical release. It really changes the overall tone of the film and is worth seeing if you can!

Thanks for bringing up The Serpent and the Rainbow..What a great\atmospheric film.

Red, White and Blue is pretty disturbing and features an actor tie into Game of Thrones!
Red, White and Blue on IMDB

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Here's one that might have been missed because it's from NZ. Dead Alive. It had a different name down under but this puppy went down as the goriest movie of all time. It was also funny as hell. The director? LOTR Peter Jackson.
edit on 11-6-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Yes!
Thanks so much.
It was indeed The Burrowers.
www.imdb.com...

Notably Intrepid may be right also, because I see the review of The Burrowers actually mentions that Tremors IV also has underground creatures in a Western setting.
I haven't seen it yet, although Tremors is usually about worm-like creatures.

Incidentally, I watched The Howling III: The Marsupials again recently.
I thought it sucked as a kid, but now that one catches the humor the concept is not bad at all, and it has some creepy moments.
Not really scary, but it has camp humor, a cult and were-marsupials.
And it's all set in then-quirky Australia.
What more could one want?
www.imdb.com...

And indeed the other movie was Pathfinder.
www.imdb.com...
I see it got a terrible write-up, and it's not historically accurate (but then again I saw Machine Gun Preacher recently, and surprisingly it got great reviews although it's not provably accurate, which makes me wonder about political sensitivities in good film).
I found those Norsemen quite horrific and nightmarish.

The Wendigo film or episode still escapes me however.

edit on 11-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Many people pan Serpent and the Rainbow. I liked it . They forget ,when these movies came out,they were the best of the best .
Don't forget Angel Heart !

There was also another movie based on voodoo zombies . About a voodoo queen who I assume they loosely based on Marie Laveau . A one word title....it will come to me.

Not sure of the others you mentioned .

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I posted it on here a page or two back . How could I forget the Sumatran devil monkey

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think I found my Wendigo episode.

It was from the series Fear Itself and titled "Skin and Bones".

Maybe it's the fact that it's winter here, or that face ...
Chilling.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Meant to reply to this earlier ,and forgot.
The Relic is based on a book of the same name ,by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child .
It's the first book in the Agent Pendergast Series ,which is one of my all time fave series.
He has a smaller part in the book,than he does in subsequent books ,and they completely cut him out of the movie ,which totally pissed me off .
It saddens me they don't do movies with him in it .
They have just recently started a second series about a guy named Gideon . Two books so far . The movie rights have been picked up .
I like Gideon ,but Pendergast is so much cooler.
The fans are asking for a cross over book ,with both of them in it .

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I though of another one that I saw on a portable DVD player while I was laid up. Marianna Hill was so damned sexy that it distracts from the movie however 'Messiah of Evil' or 'Dead People' was about as odd as a cod as you can get. If I remember it correctly that lack of a plot made it even more creepy.

Did they ever remake it? The VHS rip I watched was awful and they really should have used a plainer actress if they wanted it to be taken seriously-or perhaps that was the point all along. There is a zombie thing in a store I remember.

I can't seem to find any stills from her in that movie-just the Star Trek stuff and the Elvis movie.
edit on 12-6-2013 by spooky24 because: editing

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We have a fairly new channel on SA satellite TV called Fox.

The other night I checked it out, and wow.
I saw this very handsome man in a cop uniform being chased by staggering people with their arms outstretched.
I didn't actually blame them at first.

It turns out however they were something like zombies, and the series was called The Walking Dead.

I've enjoyed it so far, and in the last episode I saw a zombie hanging in a tree by his neck (some guy who committed suicide).

The other zombies had nibbled away the flesh from his legs, which reminded me a bit of the horrifying Aussie psycho film Wolf's Creek, which likewise shows legless bodies at the end, presumably eaten away by vicious dogs.

This leads to what I don't quite understand in this series.
What is the nature of this virus?
Does everyone who dies turn into a zombie, or does one first have to be bitten?
edit on 15-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Since you haven't watched the series yet if you really don't want to know read no further because this is a spoiler.......everyone who dies turns zombie, but where you're picking up at they don't know that yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Prince of Darkness always did it for me (well, since some time in the 90s when I first came across it).

Got panned by the crits, but hey ho.

The hostel.

Still gives me shivers.

The first instalment of IT (the second was bobbins).

"Beep beep, Richie!"

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Society 1989 Brian Yuzna, Main lead Billy Warlock.

This one just excellent from a very underrated Horror special effects master.
Especially relevant in regards to Secret Societies/illuminati or Parallel Evolution as Director Brian Yuzna calls it.

All of Yuzna,s films are underrated "Necronomicon, Faust, Dagon and Progeny all are good and badly underrated films although not all completely Horror Genre Progeny is part Sci fi.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join