It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underrated Horror Films

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
So I was reading the recent Rue Morgue's recent release of 200 Alternative Horror Films You Need to See and it got me to thinking..

What are some great under appreciated or under rated horror films?

We can leave out the classics , the well known films and go with things that people might not have seen. I want to try and build a list so and maybe it doesn't go anywhere but maybe a few films get listed which someone has never seen before.

I'll go first.

For me a film that , for various reasons got overlooked by many was, The Exorcist III: Legion.

For various reasons I thought this film worked even though it din't rally have much to do with the original in the sense people would have expected from the title though the studio demanded some references and script changes to make it relate better. The mixture of Brad Douriff and Jason Miller in essentially the same role. Arguably one of the best jump scare scenes of recent times and really a great job by George C Scott. Beyond that this film basically ignored whatever BS happened in The Exorcist II: Heretic. Additionally William Peter Blatty , writer of the original classic The Exorcist, took over for this film again which enhanced the film.

For those looking for more info about it: en.wikipedia.org...

As a side note for anyone interested if you have Fear.Net as part of your cable-TV Service they are the process of showing all 3 Exorcists movies with the horrible second one just starting.

edit on 27-3-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Loved The Exorcist III. George C Scott was brilliant in it! If I'm not mistaken that movie was also Samuel L Jacksons first role - or close to it ... he played a cameo in one of the psych ward scenes.

Two that I think are underrated are both horror / comedy movies...

Bubba Ho-Tep and
Behind The Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Both brilliant spins on the horror genre.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Hi op

The Changeling, with George C Scott (great actor) also

Firestarter
Dreamscape, Dennis Quaid 1984

There is others, I will post as I remember
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Anything from the Children of the Corn franchise. Yes, I said it. I love all those movies. They're so awesome and scary too. Puppet Master franchise, The Strangers, and anything else I like.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I don't know if this counts but I assume that it does: Fright Night!

I enjoy the hell out of that movie but I don't think that that many people have heard of it. The acting is memorable and it's just a funny concept that a tv host for paranormal stories could become an actual vampire hunter helping a group of teenagers.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
I don't know if this counts but I assume that it does: Fright Night!

I enjoy the hell out of that movie but I don't think that that many people have heard of it. The acting is memorable and it's just a funny concept that a tv host for paranormal stories could become an actual vampire hunter helping a group of teenagers.

Ha Ha love that film
Think its mcdowell playin vincent price
"Welcome to Fright Night"

Heres another good franchise

HOUSE
They freaked me out wen i was a kid.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Splinter
Beetlejuice
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Did you know that the third Exorcist movie was actually based on the book Legion which was Blatty's sequel to the original. Who knows where The Heretic came from.

My pick for under rated horror movies goes to Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2: Hellbound

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Salem's Lot
Starring David Soul

Scenes from that movie stayed with me throughout childhood.
The re-animation scene in the clinic as David Soul recites the psalm (23 I think) haunted my dreams for years.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
"The Faculty". Great cast, good writing, campy horror goodness.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by opethPA

Loved The Exorcist III. George C Scott was brilliant in it! If I'm not mistaken that movie was also Samuel L Jacksons first role - or close to it ... he played a cameo in one of the psych ward scenes.

Two that I think are underrated are both horror / comedy movies...

Bubba Ho-Tep and
Behind The Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Both brilliant spins on the horror genre.

OMG The exorcist 3 scared the bejebus outa me
just one word STATUE...3 men watching that and we had to turn it off for 10 mins lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Dog Soldiers
I.T
My fave...The Evil Dead, though its a cult classic now but was underated at the time

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Troll (1986)
A wicked troll king in search of a mystical ring that will return him to his human form invades a San Francisco apartment complex where a powerful witch lives.

Director:
John Carl Buechler
Writer:
Ed Naha
Stars:
Michael Moriarty, Shelley Hack, Noah Hathaway

Parents (1989)
A young boy living in 1950s suburbia begins to wonder where his parents get their meat from...

Director:
Bob Balaban
Writer:
Christopher Hawthorne
Stars:
Randy Quaid, Mary Beth Hurt, Sandy Dennis

Cool films from my youth, Parents really creeped me out.
I still like zombie films and Pontypool is a great take on the genre.
I saw ParaNorman recently (with the kids of course, ahem) and actually it's a great film.

Pontypool (2008)
A psychological thriller in which a deadly virus infects a small Ontario town.

Director:
Bruce McDonald
Writers:
Tony Burgess (novel), Tony Burgess
Stars:
Stephen McHattie, Lisa Houle, Georgina Reilly

ParaNorman (2012)
A misunderstood boy takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.

Directors:
Chris Butler, Sam Fell
Writer:
Chris Butler
Stars:
Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Christopher Mintz-Plasse

Good Thread S&F!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Maybe not technically a 'horror film' but it certainly was creepy..kinda old..I find things about the south and slavery and that little bit of mystery of magic/voodoo, etc..interesting.

My all time favorite is The Shining though...there is something in that film that makes me want more..more info of the underlying symbolism..I just watched ROOM 237 which was totally lame..I watched better docs on YT about Stanley Kubrick symbolism.

BELOVED

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Event Horizon, anything to do with hallucinations are pretty scary for me

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by peashooter

YES! Forgot that one! That is a great movie..

THE CUBE is also pretty good..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot about that one! I love that movie too. Just the whole aspect of something coming in and taking over controlling and tearing from you what makes you you.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
When I was scrolling through recent posts and read the thread title the first thing i thought to myself was, OH Exorcist III is my favorite that nobody ever talks about. Then I read the OP and subsequent posts and said well crap everyone else has already talked about it. So here are some others:

The Ninth Gate
The Car
From Hell
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark 1973(Original)
Ghost Story
The Legacy 1978
The Sentinel 1977

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Ah the Ninth Gate with the sexy devil

Sod it watching it now

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Basketcase!!!

new topics