It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street justice in NYC - Bike thief gets caught

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A couple of guys catch some other guy trying to steal bikes.
You can hear a woman chime in and tell them to leave him alone, really??? Let him nick bikes and get away with it?
Whats up with people? If more people confronted this kind of thing i think people would be less inclined to do it in the first place.

These criminals know they average person doesnt want to get involved, maybe its time to change that

edit on 27-3-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2013 by AmberLeaf because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Kind of hard to steal a bike with a foot in your ass. Maybe he learned a lesson, but I doubt it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Yeah I doubt it as well.

I don't know how I feel about this. Sure the guy got what he deserved, but street justice can turn ugly real fast. I mean that is why we have a justice system.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Nah, those "vigilantes" should be commended on their restraint. They popped him a couple of times, while saying dont steal bikes over and over, knocked him down and then went on their way.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Good. I hate thieves and liars.

Star and flag.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Good luck calling NYPD and asking them to come quickly, a guy just TRIED to steal a bike but 2 guys stopped him. I think you are going to be in for a looooooong wait.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

How is that working for us?

:shk:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Well again I said I do not know how to feel about the situation really.

They could have physically restrained him until the police got there, and there were multiple witnesses to the attempted theft.

You said it yourself...

Maybe he learned a lesson, but I doubt it.

reply to post by LoneGunMan

Better than the one in Somalia.

Do you agree?

Or would you prefer summary justice on the streets? Because history has shown us that such a "system" is all but just.

I'm not trying to demonize these guys for giving some ass what he deserved. I just think kicking the crap out of him is not necessarily a proper punishment and will not deter or prevent him from committing a crime in the future.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

I am not advocating mob-justice in every situation, but in this case I think that the punishment was fitting of the crime. The thief was not permanently harm (except maybe his pride) he was bloodied up a bit for this trouble. All in all I say this did not get out of hand. Humans have lived on this Earth longer without "state appointed police" than we have had it and settled situations like this.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
While I agree that this guy should've been dealt with in one form or another, the one thing that always gets me is uneven fights. When you got 2 guys on 1 you got a beatdown, not a fight. These guys wanted to fight the man instead of calling the cops, in that case they should've done it one at a time. I don't see vigilantes here, I see kids letting their emotions taking over. Both the accused and the accusers should be facing punishment, both were breaking the law.

new topics

top topics

join