It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dead will Rise? The Fairy tales of Religion...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I learned a long time ago that one cannot take everything in the Bible literally, nor can they believe everything in the Bible. While truly miraculous and unexplainable, in today's terms, things did happen, much of what is written was not eyewitness testimony. There was quite a bit of eyewitness testimony, but much more was 2nd hand or later. This does not immediately mean it is false, but it must be realized that people, even the apostles, were still people who were capable of not only making mistakes, but of misunderstanding and misinterpreting things.

The Bible even mentions on more than one occasion that the apostles themselves were not very good at understanding and grasping the points Jesus was intending to make, and I think it is highly likely that they themselves still held misguided views after the death of Jesus. So why should we believe them regarding anything at all? Because firsthand testimony, and a bit of logic, tell us that something truly special must have been going on here, considering these 12 men gave up everything they had to follow Jesus, and many were willing, and subsequently did, die for what they believed. That is pretty powerful. Many points, including this one, could be argued much more deeply, but I am digressing from the point of the thread.

The point I would like to make is that understanding human tendencies can be very helpful when interpreting written materials, and therefore without repetitive claims by many different sources, it is a bit easier to speculate that one person may have gotten it a bit wrong. I think that many portions of the Bible, the most obvious of which in my own opinion, is the book of Revelation, were not written to be interpreted literally. In those times it was not uncommon to mask writings in various ways for different reasons, one of which was the political climate of the time. And also heretical views from traditional Judaism were not to be tolerated either, which probably played more of a role than fear of angering the Romans.

But the portion about the dead rising does not really apply to that, as I think it was simply meant metaphorically. The dead rising did not literally mean there would be zombies walking around, which would be the literal interpretation. It could mean one of two things. First, that every soul will be restored to a healthy body in a new kingdom on earth, or it could be referring simply to the afterlife. I think the latter is more likely, although the former cannot be ruled out entirely. I think way too many religious practitioners of today interpret what they read in the Bible too literally, which is a mistake that has led to much strife and heartache, divisions and infighting in the church...not just now, but throughout the last 2000 years.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

On the contrary I believe the book of Revelation should be taken very literal. Sounds crazy but what was John thinking when the Holy Spirit gave him those visions. If he did see the end it would have been extremely difficult to translate everything he saw. It must have all been so foreign to him. John explained It using words and terminology that was familiar to him in that time.

Funny how people would try to discredit this prophet but will sit down and read Nostradamus and take his stuff seriously. Funny to me.

As far as zombies are concerned I believe msm is giving us hints to prepare but they won't flat out say it to not spread panic, so they do something as simple as add Zombie in front of the word Apocalypse hoping most don't get it but the few that do will survive whatever is on the horizon.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You read the Bible and yet you mock it. That is your choice I suppose, and it seems you find parts that are not understandable to you in that you come across questioning the scripture or it's content, the gist of what it is conveying. I'd say that the Bible to you is like the Parables, in that you will have excluded yourself by virtue of your own pride or self assumed wisdom. I think this will keep you in the dark, or if you were in the light your darkness would cease.
***The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?" He replied,

"The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables:
Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."

In general this sums up the many who get their jollies attacking on a weekly or daily basis, not necessarily just your thread. And they will be content.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hello op.

Yes, I do believe in a literal resurrection of the body by God. This is not in a “Zombie” fashion; this is not even implied; but in a conscious, sentient way. As well as Jesus, the Gospels tell of the saints coming back to life after The Crucifixion (Matt. 27:52). Any bodies destroyed will be remade- in the Gospels we are told that if God has made you once as you are, “Do you not think He can not do it again?” (my paraphrasing). I cannot see the dead having to claw their way to the surface etc., more rising with assistance from angels/ nature; Christ's stone was rolled away/ the sea SHALL GIVE UP her dead, not “they will swim for it”.

NO!! To the best of my knowledge there is no actual physical proof that anyone has been risen throughout history. The Biblical accounts, both O.T., and N.T., are verbal demonstrations of it being possible; not in a “Hey! Look!” kind-of-way, rather are accounts contained within the stories of the events of peoples' lives, not the focus of the particular book. But, to the faithful, they show it's possible to be dead for a length of time, (e.g. Lazarus- 4 days), and be brought back to life.

As for these “ZOMBIES”; nah, these are the stuff of a jolly good scare story to chill the blood, not to be taken literally. Even so-called Voodoo Zombies that are meant to be actual dead people brought back with dark, blasphemous religion are, by Western science's understanding, entranced living bodies being passed off as animated corpses.

God bless,
Seeker7

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seeker7

. . . there is no actual physical proof that anyone has been risen . . .
I have what would probably only serve that purpose for me, since I was the subject of that occurrence of being risen from the dead.
That is not the same as the resurrection of 'The Day of the Lord' but I think Jesus was trying to make the point that since he had been given that authority for that event, then he also has the ability to raise people whenever he wants.
And also this was not being raised to a 'glorified' body, especially since I had to be brought back two different times.
The point being, I am thoroughly convinced myself of a bodily resurrection, as you (the above poster) mentioned, God does have that ability, which is the main point of the New Testament.
edit on 27-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If it means anything I think it refers to the recollection of prior incarnation. Realizing what you were, who you loved, what you did (good or bad), and that it's all faded into oblivion; it can make the weak go mad. Love is a b-witch.

There is a reason we forget everything

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
even if the physical body dies, the astral body with its finer dimension continues to exist with all the unfulfilled desires remaining until a suitable rebirth occurs to play them out. its possible that when the day of the lord occurs it is referring to a time when the whole planet and contents moves into an astral vibration.
then the "dead physically" will be alive or be conscious of their astral existence. those normally alive in the physical sense would still be alive. if its not astral then its some sort of higher vibration brought about by the christ/cosmic consciousness. the terms used in the bible can only approximate this new condition because its beyond most/all peoples understanding. i expect at this time current laws of physics and physiology will be superceded. i believe when the "lion will lay down with the lamb", their sustenance will be not as it once was in the physical but rather some sort of direct imbibing of prana, which after all is basically the food we eat now only modified as grass or flesh etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

First of all, I'd like to say that I am sorry for having hurt your feelings in any way, the same goes for the other person I spoke to, or more like, anyone I may have spoken to on this site.

Secondly, I'd like to tell you that I have personally risen from a watery grave. I have shared my experience here on this site and have read from the bible stories of people having risen from the dead and do believe that people can and do rise from the dead and that indeed people will rise from the dead in the future.

Thirdly, I am not a Christian. I believe that the Old Testament is true and that what Jesus said is true, you know my stance on Paul thus far. The times we live in are tough, they're only going to get worse. I believe Jesus when he says that we need to forgive others otherwise we ourselves can not be forgiven.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. -Matthew 5:7

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

I appreciate that... and just so you know, no feelings were hurt...

People seem to think that words on a screen can affect me, though I always tend to say...

IF you step on a cats tail, you might get bitten...

I hold no grudges or ill will towards you, and honestly I respect you a lot more now. IF that means anything.

Hopefully in the future we can have a decent discussion about these things without the unneeded hostilities.

Thanks again

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join