It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

beekeepers file lawsuit against the EPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...
I found an article on this saying that a group of beekeepers and evironmentalists were suing the EPA for their lack of response over the neonicotinoid pesticides that have been linked to CCD. Saying they have been told of the dangers of this pesticide and did nothing. though several people are claiming that their tests proved they were no threat to the environment or bees. But the problem is most of those tests are based on killing the bee which neonics dont instead they bee enters a state similar to intoxication and loses it navigation causing the ccd but that is not picked up on most tests.
I hope that this may actualy go somewhere and that theres still hope for the bees.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

I am a beekeeper, and watch for all the bee related threads. (Yoda voice: Bee Threads Stalk I Do.)

From the article:

Specifically, the EPA is accelerating the schedule for registration review of the neonicotinoid pesticides because of uncertainties about them and their potential effects on bees."

However, even the accelerated review will not be completed before 2018.

The pesticides named in the lawsuits are clothianidin, manufactured by Bayer, and thiamethoxam, made by Syngenta. Neither company chose to comment on the lawsuit, but industry group Crop Life America (CLA) is representing some of the companies.

So in the meantime, the pesticides still get used. That's the problem with lawsuits, they take too long.

The CLA is fighting the review, but the longer we use these pesticides, the more at risk our global bee population is.

Why does it take a legal case? Does reality about the environment, and protecting bees, really take the insanity of a court case?

Without regulation, our bee population would disappear. Everyone could use whatever pesticide on their crops, but what farmers don't realize, (but are programmed into them), is that certain pesticides cause CCD, and they should be immediately banned.

Why aren't they?

Money and Greed.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I worked at a garden center years ago and was wooed to use a Bayer product with imidacloprid, chloro-nicotinyl compound ...how easy can it be to use

As a systemic it gets into the plant...and realistically, how can it differentiate which insect to harm?

Well, I did some research and quit using it....and many sites still claim it is save to use. :shk:

I applaud this lawsuit...and hope it helps gain awareness ...and that the bees end up the big winners here.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I agree that a lawsuit would take too long, the better way is to spread awareness about pesticides and try to get people to stop using them (particulairly ones with neonics). there are books and documentaries on this but only a small amount read and watch them so the info is not spread as quickly.

top topics

join