It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Sinkhole is Swallowing up the State. WHOA! O.O

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Source

This mysterious sinkhole, which was later dubbed the "Great Louisiana Sinkhole," has been gradually gaining in size now for about seven months, and it appears to be picking up speed, having reportedly swallowed up an entire acre of land in just one day, and three acres of land in under a week.

08/12/12

03/01/13

03/08/13

3 Acres in "under a week" seems to be alot of land being "swallowed up". What happens if it keeps going?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
looks like a flood to me
...honest opinion here

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's the virtual ocean of butane being stored in a salt dome adjacent to the one here that collapsed that we need to worry about. I've heard people suggest the men on the International Space Station would see the blast from there if they happened to be overhead and looking at the time.

There's something funny about what's happening there.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's the virtual ocean of butane being stored in a salt dome adjacent to the one here that collapsed that we need to worry about. I've heard people suggest the men on the International Space Station would see the blast from there if they happened to be overhead and looking at the time.

There's something funny about what's happening there.

can you provide a link , to your claim here , i would like to read more into it

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
looks like a flood to me
...honest opinion here
That's not what the article states:

If this is the first time you are hearing about the Great Louisiana Sinkhole, you can thank the mainstream media for keeping the general public in the dark about its existence, and the very serious threat it poses not only to Louisianans but to all of humanity. An apparent product of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil disaster of 2010, this anomalous sinkhole appears to be connected to underground salt domes that are collapsing, releasing toxic gases, oil, and possibly other materials.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Sure... This is a link back when it just started and has a decent explanation of the physical side as I understand it by reading other things.

Monster Sinkhole Sparks Catastrophic Worries

and from a different source:

The situation is made all the worrisome because the hole is believed to be close to a well containing 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane, a highly volatile liquid that turns into a highly flammable vapor upon release. A breach of that well, Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack has said, could be catastrophic.
Source

The media has almost gone out of their way to mention very little about it..... Interesting on that. I guess it's ...ahem... and Inconvenient Truth.

(couldn't resist... )

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SamaraTen

There's a thread that many of us have been following for the last 7 months about the Bayou Corne sinkhole - it's just like the earthquake 2013 thread - really - they're big - I, and a lot of other people check in daily - this isn't new news.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

There's a thread that many of us have been following for the last 7 months about the Bayou Corne sinkhole - it's just like the earthquake 2013 thread - really - they're big - I, and a lot of other people check in daily - this isn't new news.
I didn't see anyone in that thread, report on this particular event that happened 2 weeks ago, but is just now being reported. The Source Article has today's date.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
looks like a flood to me
...honest opinion here

Probably because it's land sinking into the watery depths beneath it.
Call it what you want, it is a confirmed fact at this point not a theory.

It's a massive sinkhole.

Massive Sinkhole In Louisiana Baffles Officials

Louisiana officials are grappling with a giant sinkhole that's threatening a neighborhood. A salt mine collapsed last year, creating a series of problems regulators say they've never seen before, including tremors and oil and gas leaks and a sinkhole that now covers 9 acres.

Residents have been evacuated for more than seven months now and are losing patience.

Ernie Boudreaux lives in a trailer on Jambalaya Street in Bayou Corne, La. Strange things have been happening to his home, he says.

"It cracks. You can hear it. The doors pop open by themselves," Boudreaux says. - NPR

- Lee

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that somehow this sinkhole and the massive oil spill off the coast of Louisiana a few years ago are related somehow. I'm not a geologist or anything. Just a funny feeling.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Robert Mann, a professor of communications at Louisiana State University, published a local resident’s impassioned plea to Louisiana’s Governor, Bobby Jindal, to tackle the problem:

Forbes
Need I remind you there is a sinkhole in Bayou Corne/Grand Bayou, which was declared a State of Emergency by your office on August 3rd, where 150 households were forced to evacuate from the area and are living in campers, hotels, rent houses, etc. There are mini earthquakes, methane, benzene and hydrogen sulfide being released into the community.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
so basically what the oil and gas people haven't been telling us is that the whole earth is going to cave in cause we sucked out what was in the middle. great. we have 100 years before total collapse at this rate...oh wait I'm not a scientist.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
so basically what the oil and gas people haven't been telling us is that the whole earth is going to cave in cause we sucked out what was in the middle. great. we have 100 years before total collapse at this rate...oh wait I'm not a scientist.

Won't be so bad. Nice and warm down there, and no strong winds. Also, it never rains down there, and there's load and loads of spicy foods and delicacies that we can only dream about up here on stupid above Earth land.

I am looking forward to living in my new home, under the surface of the Earth, where I await my inevitable transformation into a superior and mighty mole man and I will bide my time for a millennia before returning to the surface of the Earth and reclaiming my rightful position as king wino lord of the new age mole men.

Oo

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes, there is a HUGE thread in the sinkhole. From what I can recall, the salt caverns are storing butane, and some radioactive waste? And the talk about all the meteors as of late. If one of them were to land there, well, that would be "THEE" most nasty dirty bomb we would ever witness. Not only that, if it were to blow, it would surely make the New Madrid unzip. and that is putting it nicely. I personally think if that were to happen, It would be very,very violent. I live in Indiana, and I would be affected by it.

And to agree about the BP oil spill, and the sinkholes link, I think when they set off the bomb to seal the well, it compromised the salt domes. Of course, since I am polish, and I have an a$$ed backwards way of thinking, the salt domes are surrounded by water, and salt is highly soluable in water. I just can't see the logic of storing what they are storing in them, when eventually, the domes will fail due to the composition of them, and their surroundings. Can we say...."OXY-MORON" kiddies. Let's use that in a sentence.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepolish1
And to agree about the BP oil spill, and the sinkholes link, I think when they set off the bomb to seal the well, it compromised the salt domes. Of course, since I am polish, and I have an a$$ed backwards way of thinking, the salt domes are surrounded by water, and salt is highly soluable in water. I just can't see the logic of storing what they are storing in them, when eventually, the domes will fail due to the composition of them, and their surroundings. Can we say...."OXY-MORON" kiddies. Let's use that in a sentence.

Well, for sure the BP saga has resulted in damage to the Gulf Stream, we are paying the price right now with extreme weather, and chilling temperatures here. The roads are breaking up, the ground is saturated, and has been since 2010. I don't know exactly what it is that's happening down at the Gulf, but I'd bet on it being connected to the oil spill at least in part. Has anybody any anecdotes on the summer weather there, any extremely high temperatures above the norm, for instance?
edit on 23-3-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Erin Brockovich has been called in.

Here's the problem: Article

Houston-based Texas Brine LLC, that has been mining salt and storing materials for other companies near the Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou communities for OVER 40 years
If they have been doing this for OVER 40 years (which could be up to 49 yrs), why do people think something could have been done 7 months ago, or even now? What idiot stores flammable waste underground, in a closed environment? Why do we just dump our waste where ever we see fit and act like all is well? Earth is becoming a toxic wasteland! Worst part is, these giant corporations feel like they can just wave money at the problem and all is well.

Houston-based Texas Brine LLC pays residents under mandatory evacuation $875 a week to cover temporary housing costs.
Meanwhile, this is happening:

The crude oil has now expanded at least two miles further from the sinkhole into the Cajun land.
and this could happen

based on a sharp uptick in seismic activity throughout the area in recent days, some experts believe an explosion is imminent, or perhaps the complete destabilization of the New Madrid Fault Line, which could result in a major earthquake stemming from the area where Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee all meet one another. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well this one is Florida too.Pretty weird.

A loud crash, then nothing: Sinkhole swallows Florida man

www.cnn.com...

If they have been stashing stuff for 40 years I would bet a lot of the materials down there are illegal dumps. People get paid a fortune to get rid of dangerous stuff that now costs a lot of money to legally dispose of. We won't know what kind of stuff will be mixing in n explosion because they sure are not going to own up.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ever hear about the hollow earth theory? lol. Gives another take to "the sky is falling!" Seriously, I don't think there is anything which can be done about the sinkhole even if we know the cause. I hope people stay safe regardless.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Salt formation, + water, + pressure, + external pressures from gas seeps = mess.

I rather expect the entire region over the salt caverns to collapse in time, I'm not sure how huge of an area it would end up being though.
Look up the Lake Peignoir mine disaster, as that lake too is showing signs of bubbling oddly.

M.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

60 plus pages of this exact topic.

Just sayin'.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join