It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio School Shooter TJ Lane Gives Victims' Families the Finger at Sentencing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Ohio School Shooter TJ Lane Gives Victims' Families the Finger at Sentencing

abcnews.go.com

Ohio school shooter TJ Lane arrived at his sentencing hearing today wearing a blue button down shirt. After he sat down, he unbuttoned the shirt to reveal a white t-shirt with the word "killer" emblazoned across the front in black marker.When Lane was given the opportunity to make a statement to the court, he made a short statement and then stuck his middle finger up in the courtroom filled with the loved ones of the three students he gunned down.Lane, 18, smirked and smiled as family members of his victims called him "repulsive" and hoped for him to be locked up in a cage "like an animal
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I dunno anymore. I say don't blame the video games, don't give these will people excuses. But I just don't get it. What is going on in this world. Did these kind of things happen in the world a couple decades ago?

It really feels like this is indicative of the world we live in today.

I feel bad for the families that had to witness that. Spitting on the victims grave like that would be enough to make me see red.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Not trying to kill your thread but this was posted 34 mins ago. It's in the firehose and not on the bottom.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
"American teens are in the grips of a psychological epidemic that has eroded much of their capacity to connect with genuine emotion and is, therefore, crushing their empathy."

So sad and so true.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

I dunno anymore. I say don't blame the video games, don't give these will people excuses. But I just don't get it. What is going on in this world. Did these kind of things happen in the world a couple decades ago?

You must be young. I would submit to you the Manson Family murders, My Lai, Kent State, Watergate, Budd Dwyer, etc etc etc. And before that era, there was WW2, or WW1, or the Civil War, or the Trail of Tears, or the Crusades, on and on and on. The world has always been like this.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

This guy is just a deranged lunatic, there is no way what to tell exactly what's going on in his sick mind and this must be a slap in the face for the victim's family members.

Did these kind of things happen in the world a couple decades ago?

Yes, unfortunately these things have always happened but I am willing to bet that they are more common now due to the amount of drugs Big Pharma and Doctors are pushing on the population.

I have not researched this case enough to know whether or not this person was on medication but I believe that medication does have a lot to do with the apparent increase in "odd" behavior we have seen over the years, perhaps media sensationalism has something to do with it as well.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

You must be young. I would submit to you the Manson Family murders, My Lai, Kent State, Watergate, Budd Dwyer, etc etc etc. And before that era, there was WW2, or WW1, or the Civil War, or the Trail of Tears, or the Crusades, on and on and on. The world has always been like this.

Young enough to know that you just gave a list of atrocities committed by adults. And included an act that wasnt even murder, Watergate. ?. Really?!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow, that kid showed no remorse whatsoever.

Like to slap his little smug face.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I agree. What we are noticing is probably desensitization.

We teach children to value the illusory: freedom, success, fame etc. while neglecting to teach them the value in what is real. They are then bombarded with imagery that shows them the insidious nature of mankind while not paying much attention to the power of human empathy and creativity. They then never leave the house, always attached to the hive mind by computer or phone, unable to experience life as its meant to be experienced. What arises is yet another abstracted view of the real world, one which proves to be dangerous.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Young enough to know that you just gave a list of atrocities committed by adults. And included an act that wasnt even murder, Watergate. ?. Really?!

The "atrocity" your OP was about is how he gave them the finger and wore a "killer" shirt, not about the fact that he murdered people at a young age (which, last I looked, 18 is an adult). Try to keep up.
edit on 19-3-2013 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

How old was he during the killings? And the I associate the killer with the killing. Its not solely the middle finger. And what exactly does Watergate have to do with anything? No need to catch up, I'm way ahead of ya.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

reply to post by 00nunya00

And the I associate the killer with the killing. Its not solely the middle finger.

Well that's fine for you, but that's not what the thread title reflects or focuses on, nor the text that you chose to use in the OP. I'm sorry if your OP was inadequate to convey the points you were wanting to make the thread about, but that's a good lesson on focusing on quality in a new thread, and not just speed of posting it before others. If you were wanting to discuss how awful the killing was, then there are already threads dedicated to that.

And what exactly does Watergate have to do with anything? No need to catch up, I'm way ahead of ya.

It appears not. Your OP focuses on his wearing an offensive shirt and making an offensive gesture towards the victims of his families. If you are unable to draw the parallels between that offensive and disrespectful act towards another human being and everything that happened during Watergate, and still ask the questions you did in your OP such as "did these kinds of things happen before a few decades ago?" and "is this indicative of what the world has come to?" (paraphrasing, obviously) then, indeed, perhaps you are too young to understand Watergate and its implications and repercussions.
edit on 19-3-2013 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I suppose I need to be very specific with you since you can't do it yourself. By these kinds of things I meant killers murdering kids, then spitting on their graves by taunting the families. Do I need to explain that spitting on graves isn't too be taken literally as well?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I suppose I need to be very specific with you since you can't do it yourself. By these kinds of things I meant killers murdering kids, then spitting on their graves by taunting the families. Do I need to explain that spitting on graves isn't too be taken literally as well?

Calm down, buddy. Let's take a look at your entire OP:

I feel bad for the families that had to witness that. Spitting on the victims grave like that would be enough to make me see red.

You asked if "these kinds of things" happened in the world before recently. I answered with a list of examples where they have. You focused on the one that didn't involve outright murder as if this discredited the rest of the list of examples I gave that yes, indeed, these things happened before. You took offense that I deduced your young age from your questions, and then proceeded to fight against a straw man.

Just bow out gracefully. You asked whether this was a new thing or indicative of the world somehow being worse off today than it was in years past, and your questions were answered. Don't try to twist this into a thread that's about the murder itself, because again, if that's truly so, then there are myriad other threads on the subject that far predate yours. I advise you to add to them, as this thread would then be just a duplicate.

Unless you really *did* want to talk about the part of it that's actually news......

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
He's probably trying to go for an insanity defense.

I could see someone staging something like this to make themselves appear really whacked and crazy.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

If his lawyer had any part of that, he's a disgrace. I hope not.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

This kid is one really twisted individual. "The hand that pulled the trigger is now the hand that masturbates to the memory."

I don't think that ten years ago we had this sort of twisted mentality. Sure, sick individuals, but one's who've lost all form of decency?

I think the lack of morality is the key here.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What I found truly unbelievable after viewing the video of this court case was the fact that his conduct and attire was even allowed in the court room at all. I understand he had on some type of button shirt over it but once he removed it and exposed that t shirt should have had the Judge/Bailiffs throwing him out immediately. The few occasions I have found myself in my California courts, just as a visitor mind you, upon entry you had to have shirts tucked in, sun glasses off your head etc,. I couldn't believe the disrespect to the victims families having to see this and to top it off, the court allowing it.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Sick people have always been around but the MSM is doing two things now.

1. It can report quicker
2. It is glorifying these kids

You can see, from looking at him, something, somewhere, there was a catalyst in his life that sent him to that point. Add the fact he never had a responsibility in his life or to account for your actions and you have a generation of scary folks who do not care or feel. Few are born to kill also.There is evil and there is dumb. Lanza was evil, this guy is dumb. People like this should work in internment camps for life. Make strollers for homeless mothers or something. Only thing that lets me forget about it would be that his only choice for life is white meat/dark meat. They do not like child killers in jail...
edit on 21-3-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join