It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Way To Accelerate Nuclear Contamination Away?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Whenever a nuclear dust cloud drops particles onto land, there seems to be several ways to mitigate the long-term contamination…
1. (I suggest) Protect property with a removable surface: It amazes me nobody has even attempted to cover valuable Japanese property with plastic or (some other form) of sheeting. This is because (although neutron particles, coming from individual atoms) would still easily pass through plastic; the original sources of those neutron particles (i.e. hundreds of thousands of atoms forming air-blown radioactive particles) could far more easily be removed after the contaminating period (even if rain water drain simply moved-concentrated particles into soil filters which could be removed as whole patches). This idea would make sense, in that most land is worth far more than any sheet of plastic.

2. Just scrub contaminated land-buildings. This form of decontamination is used and makes great sense in the decommissioning of intensely radioactive structures. ajw.asahi.com... It is also being used to obviously a limited degree in Japan with the consequence huge amounts of low level waste are accumulated. japanpropertycentral.com...

3. But could there be a way to instantly accelerate nuclear contamination? Ideally you want a robotic machine firing beams (of whatever type) onto contaminated land, so causing every radioactive particle to rapidly decay away (i.e. within whatever time it takes for the machine to pass over said land). I already know you can accelerate radioactive decay with moderated (i.e. slow-moving) neutrons, but the amount you would need to fire at radioactive land to cause such a rapid decay would be both colossal and dangerous, and would (at least if done incompletely) make the situation worse when semi-stable fissionable isotopes (like U238 -Depletive Uranium) were part of the nuclear contamination.
But I also know that everything radioactive has a Half Life, so what I want to ask ATS's scientific minded brains is…
Can something with a half-life of e.g. 30 years be activated into getting its decaying business over and done with without using Neutron radiation? Could there (perhaps) be a specific frequency of photon radiation (even Quantum Entangled photons) that could cause a slow decaying atom, to just decay?
Photon radiation having the advantage it never makes things more radioactive, and usually isn't dangerous.

I already understand everything inside this universe sits within a sea of Virtual Photons profmattstrassler.com... and that these (although not really like particles at all) have something to do with causing an individual atom with a half life of 3.8 days (like Radon) to have a 50% chance of decaying over 3.8 days, (no matter how much our Radon atom is separated from other radioactive atoms).

Anyhow if anyone does have ideas, I'm sure they might be of much good to this world.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Radon is what you get in the morning and its gone when the sun hits it , its a background source . I am a nuke at a naval yard and we see it in the morning but it doesnt last . What you are asking does not exsist , science fiction still . If you say it out loud it even sounds geeky . Partical eccellerator , good luck in your quest and I think plastic or polly shields beta . Build a lead lined house and no worries, just make it about 2.5 feet thick .

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
letseeit

Radon is what you get in the morning and its gone when the sun hits it , its a background source
Unfortunately no. Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium or thorium. It accumulates in mines and certain houses (made of very dense stone) in areas like Cornwall in England. www.cornwall.gov.uk...
I think what you are thinking of is Ozone gas, which on ground level is a hazy health hazard usually generated by vehicles engines, spark generators science.howstuffworks.com... and is very bad for human health (only good for the world when it’s high up in atmosphere). Ozone gas is naturally produced high up in the atmosphere by ultraviolet light but is a chemical reaction –not a nuclear one. (O2 gets split by ultraviolet, which briefly becomes O1, which reacts with O2 to form O3 -the chemically reactive product called Ozone).

Partical eccellerator, good luck in your quest and I think plastic or polly shields beta.
Alpha radiation it will mostly shield, and Beta (being stopped by thin aluminum) isn’t much of problem anyway providing it isn’t ingested, and consequently fired into skin cells at point blank range (as happens to anyone whose body has inhaled-ingest depletive uranium fired at Iraqis).

Build a lead lined house and no worries, just make it about 2.5 feet thick .
My point being to save a normal house, from long-term contamination, by engineering where particles settles-accumulates.
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have heard, years ago, that there was a method developed to neutralize radioactive isotopes.

The first deactivation process that I am aware of that was developed for the expressed purpose of permanently deactivating radioactivity in nuclear materials. The Baumgartner process was accomplished and demonstrated in early 1964. Baumgartner process demonstrated that C60 gamma radiation could be reduced to background radiation levels. With an additional step in the Baumgartner process, the radioactivity was reduced to a nil radiation level. This process and many other processes that modifies an isotope half-life are designated Nuclear Half-life Modification Technology.

Source
Peswiki-nuclear remediation

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
"Is there a way to accelerate the decay nuclear contamination?"

Yes, and like many of us who have heard radioactive decay is constant enough to be used for carbon dating, we have been fed erroneous info.

Rutherford proved it with his early experiments, successfully accelerating the rate at which radioactive decay dissipates by modulating the rate of decay within a field of high voltage. .LINK: www.nuenergy.org...

In addition, there is some mechanism which is highly correlated to activity on the sun, now recognized by petroleum engineers performing survey work for oil companies: LINK marklyons2.dot5hosting.com...
edit on 19-3-2013 by ATS4dummies because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Could be an option.

The microbes were forced to survive on the leftovers that result when radioactivity from uranium, thorium and potassium in the native rock breaks down molecules of water, prompting a sequence of chemical reactions that produce hydrogen peroxide, break down pyrite, and form sulfates.

NationalScienceFoundation.com

top topics

join