It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the new health food is... horse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Who would have thought it? After millions of pounds in product recalls, nationwide revulsion and an international search for the guilty men, it seems that the horsemeat many of us have been eating inadvertently may be the new health food, according to scientists.

They find that a couple of portions of horse a week lowers cholesterol and boosts blood iron levels. Researchers say that horsemeat is very high in iron, with one 150g portion providing up to a half of the daily recommended intake, and very low in saturated fats, which are associated with high cholesterol.

Indeed, their study says horse has some of the health-boosting qualities that have been associated with fish, and it has up to 40 per cent fewer calories and more protein than other meats.
In a new study, men aged 20 to 50 ate two 175g portions of horsemeat a week for threemonths. A second group ate other meat, but avoided horse. Blood samples were taken from all the men for testing at the start of the trial and after 45 and 90 days. Results show that horsemeat consumption significantly reduced levels of total and bad cholesterol. The former dropped by 6 per cent, and bad cholesterol by 9.1 per cent.
"Horsemeat is an important source of omega 3 and iron and, compared to other meats, is very low in saturated fatty acids but rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) like fish and other seafood," say the researchers from the University of Milan. "Regular consumptionof horsemeat may improve cholesterol and iron status in healthy people." Source - www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 17-3-2013 by Trackhunter because: Forgot the source link.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Horse meat is low in fat & high in protein. It's a lot healthier for you than most meats. It's more down to a moral issue that people don't eat it. Where I live when the news broke about it being horse meat, people where queuing out of the store to buy it, something I wasn't expecting!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
1 they are slaughtering (wild) horses willy nilly around the globe, and so is cheap
2 its not hand creme its dishwashing liquid...and you ARE SOAKING IN IT
( or, Now you have been eating it without knowing it...and you liked it...why not buy the package that says: HORSE MEAT right there on the label? )

also India is an HUGE emerging market that doesn't eat cow meat

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ahh... I see... So I shouldn't be mad about being fed Mr Ed when no one told me now..I should actually be happy and thank them? lol.... Love the logic that comes DURING several very large scandals involving some of the biggest names people know...for horse meat peddled as real beef without consumer's knowledge. Suddenly...we're told it's actually the best thing since sliced bread! Err... Yeah.

I'll keep it somewhat short..but this needs shared here. A long time ago, U.S. Agriculture and Livestock realized animals make great money for food production. Just feed 'em, kill 'em and serve them. Money flows back. It's like it really does grow on trees, or the hoof, anyway. There is just one problem. Animals pee and animals crap. They do SO VERY MUCH of it in modern corporate level production that some areas of North Carolina were said to produce more untreated waste out of the hog farms than entire U.S. cities over comparable periods of time. Crap is a commercial product. It can be made into something else and sold. Pee can't be.

(This DOES relate...bear with me one more moment)

So American food production also produces 10's of millions of gallons of animal pee. What amounts to an honest to goodness hazardous material problem in those quantities. Guess what? They SOLVED IT! Oh Thank goodness. What did they DO with all that pee?

You breathe it... every time you drive on an interstate highway. They found they could get rid of it by inventing and requiring a WHOLE NEW product just for the purpose of flushing out the waste into a form no one would even consider.
DEF / Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Urea is animal piss. That stuff they couldn't find any legal or safe way to dispose of as waste just a few years ago...You breathe as exhaust out of the big trucks as they literally required exhaust fluid under EPA regulations invented for the purpose.

-----

......so the relation? Well..... Just as they once had OCEANS of pee they HAD to get rid of but couldn't find a way to? Well... Now they have MOUNTAINS of Horse meat and horses a plenty for more to come ....and consumers who have JUST STARTED to discover how they get rid of all that horse meat.

Now we're PISSED OFF ....and ...wouldn't ya know...they're here to explain how ..Oh, silly citizens...there is nothing to worry about! Why, Mr Ed isn't just cheaper and MUCH MUCH higher profit for the producers than Beef cattle ...It's good for us too!

* Enjoy the horse.... I'll eat spam in a can before I knowingly and by choice, eat the second tier junk meat (as they have ALWAYS classified Horse meat) being peddled as health food. Good god..what won't they do next?!
edit on 17-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Are you saying you believe this excuses those that lied to the general public about what they were selling us ?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I didn't see any mention of this excusing the mislabeling thing? Maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

But since the subject has come to the forefront, it seems expected that what other peoples around the world already know, will be revealed to the american public now too.
It doesn't mean the lawsuits against companies that mislabel should be dropped. That is about as stupid as saying nobody should talk about the nutritional benefits of equine flesh at all because of those incidents!

edit on 17-3-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I'd just note..Horsey health food wouldn't be directly related to the peddling of junk meat as beef.....if we truly believe these things happen and come to the public in 100% total isolation to each other and just come as pure happy coincidence.

As it happens, some of the largest corporate names in the world are tainted (Even Taco Bell got tagged on this scandal) with the use of horse meat while assuring customers by presentation, it was beef. Very serious scandals...and lesser things have destroyed or badly damaged global brands. Now this pops up?

Some believe in wild coincidence. I'm among those who looks at coincidence like this and says 'couldn't they have been at least a BIT subtle?'

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

* Enjoy the horse.... I'll eat spam in a can before I knowingly and by choice, eat the second tier junk meat (as they have ALWAYS classified Horse meat) being peddled as health food. Good god..what won't they do next?!

This is one instance where I totally have to say Wrabbit, that you are mistaken!

I do agree that for companies to use horsemeat in a product and NOT tell the consumer that it is VERY WRONG!

However, horse meat is in fact MORE nutritional than beef!

Where the meats really differ is iron concentration, with horse meat having double the iron (21% vs 10% DV) that beef contains. It is not surprising that a more athletic animal has more iron, but the magnitude of the difference is striking. Horse meat also contains substantially more vitamin B12 (50% vs 21% DV), but less B6, niacin and folate.

But what's truly impressive is the omega-3 fatty acid concentration in horse meat, which contains 360 mg (per 100 grams) compared to just 21 mg in strip steak. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that need to be obtained from your diet. They are thought to be helpful in fighting against heart disease, stroke and neurodegeneration.

Compared to lean beef, horse meat appears to have some nutritional advantages. If we do ever manage to get past the taboo, at least we know there's good nutrition on the other side.

Source

Some people have rabbits for pets, while I thoroughly enjoy eating them! This is a matter of how us humans perceive the animals we eat based on a social hierarchy. I grew up hunting and eating rabbits, people who hate me for eating them, grew up having them for pets! See the difference?

Now this issue other than the fact of consumers being lied to, is nothing more than a matter of what one believes is right versus wrong and nothing more!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Healthy horse meat is fine

Horse meat no one knows where comes from or what it contain, cause no one has inspected it, and then hidden for public knowledge by labeling it as beef, not so fine

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've been saying this for weeks... maybe months... people dont listen.

Horsey... welcome!
not not the saddle tho...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Now that they've been caught in a lie about what they have been feeding the people, it's time to make it all warm and fuzzy. Just wondering who's paying the scientists to come out and talk? It doesn't matter if it's healthy or not. It's been one of those things that a lot of people have been opposed to for a very long time.

Watch...within a year, there will be people on tv, news, radio...hell, maybe even handing out fliers on street corners extolling the greatness of horse meat. Why? Because someone has a dollar to gain.

Brain washing machine...turned to on.

Peace

edit on 17-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I didn't say a thing about the nutrition value of horse. I've heard Rat meat has nothing bad in nurtirion either. Seriously..and I'm not kidding. I'll leave it for others to test. I know some who swear by calamari and would live on the stuff if they could afford to. Again.... I'll pass... It makes me ill to even consider.

Likewise, however much some want to now, suddenly, present Horse meat as something great for us and just stunningly beneficial? It has been viewed, rated and ranked as second level junk meat for as long as I've been around to hear about grades of meat for human consumption. As such, it's CHEAP meat. hence.. junk meat. Maybe it's more nutritious than a bowl of chicken noodle soup. It's among a great many forms of life we can eat that are.

Personally though. Horse is not a food animal in my eyes. It's a work animal. If people CHOOSE to buy Horse meat in the meat section and it very clearly SAYS "Horse"? More power to them....as I skip their dinner invitations without detail of the offerings.

So.. I'm just wondering, in direct connection to the OP.... How is this WONDERFUL new healthy choice been neglected for decades as 2nd tier junk for dog and cat food? You'd think someone would have noticed such a beneficial thing......before profit motives and mitigation of ENORMOUS lawsuits became the primary factor for it to matter?

edit on 17-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just a little confused
I know labelling one thing and it being another is bad.(that doesn't confuse)
it's considering whether the product this meat comes in is healthy or not,
i mean aren't we talking about, ready meals, burgers and whatever processed rubbish is out there??

sorry but if you eat that,in my book you already forfit your right to complain..

edit on 17-3-2013 by cjttatu because: (no reason given)

ETA.. As for going to a butcher and getting a lean horse steak,whatever tickles your pickle,
it is a conveniently timed article though ey....
edit on 17-3-2013 by cjttatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Its good if they arent ex pets .. filled to the gills with chems and dewormers. Give them a year, theyll factory farm "healthy" horse and it will go the way of the beef in this country ( US).

If its free range and "clean" meat.. and cheap? Bring it on. Im paying an arm and a leg for grass fed Bison and Beef. Culturally its horrible for me... as Ive already had this convo recently.. but when Im hungry, Im not listening to anything but my body!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So.. I'm just wondering, in direct connection to the OP.... How is this WONDERFUL new healthy choice been neglected for decades as 2nd tier junk for dog and cat food? You'd think someone would have noticed such a beneficial thing......before profit motives and mitigation of ENORMOUS lawsuits became the primary factor for it to matter?

Well, did I not address the fact that it was wrong for these corporations to lie???

Did you not call horse meat junk food?

During World War II and the postwar years, when beef and pork were scarce or priced beyond most consumers’ means, horsemeat appeared in the butcher’s cold case. In 1951, Time magazine reported from Portland, Ore.: “Horsemeat, hitherto eaten as a stunt or only as a last resort, was becoming an important item on Portland tables. Now there were three times as many horse butchers, selling three times as much meat.” Noting that “people who used to pretend it was for the dog now came right out and said it was going on the table,” the article provided tips for cooking pot roast of horse and equine fillets.

A similar situation unfolded in 1973, when inflation sent the cost of traditional meats soaring. Time reported that “Carlson’s, a butcher shop in Westbrook, Conn., that recently converted to horsemeat exclusively, now sells about 6,000 pounds of the stuff a day.” The shop was evangelical in its promotion of horse as a main course, producing a 28-page guide called “Carlson’s Horsemeat Cook Book,” with recipes for chili con carne, German meatballs, beery horsemeat and more. While no longer in print, the book is catalogued on Amazon.

The early church did not look happily on pagan practices in England and Iceland, where horse was consumed as part of religious ritual. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory II instructed the missionary Boniface to “tell them not to eat horses and impose severe punishments to who does it, because they are mean and evil.” The Christian prohibition against eating horse flesh (joining those already adopted by Jews and Muslims) held strong in Europe for centuries. It remains an underpinning to the British and American aversion to this day.

Source

Horses became a sort of mythological creature in America's national consciousness. When they were first brought to North America by the Spanish in the mid-16th century, Native Americans highly valued horses for hunting and warfare. There are even stories of European captives being traded in exchange for horses by certain tribes.

Horses were also integral to frontier exploration, and the image of cowboys traveling across America — which was eagerly spread by magazines and newspapers — was propagated around the world.

The media message was clear: Horses in America were our companions, beasts of burden, and means of transportation. They were definitely not our food.

In 1973, a similar food shortage occurred that sent butcher shops reaching once more for the horse meat. That same year, however, a Republican Senator from Pennsylvania sponsored a bill to ban the sale of horse meat and make it illegal for horse slaughter houses to operate. It was the first time eating horse meat was legally questioned on a federal level in America.

Horse meat was effectively banned in the United States in 2007, when Congress stripped financing for federal inspections of horse slaughter, but this was reversed by Congress under Obama in 2011. (Though many states continue to have their own specific laws regarding horse slaughter and the sale of horse meat.)

Source

So to answer your question, "It hasn't been neglected!". The eating of horse meat has been a common practice for centuries! It appears that the practice was done away with, because of religious reasons, and the fact that other less appealing animals (based upon their human masters perspective) have been chosen to replace the eating of horse meat.........

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thanks for reading my replies... I'll back off the thread. You've pretty well told me I'm typing to myself.

See above what I *HAVE SAID* for what sense and meaning I used the term Junk Food and Junk Meat. I explained it more than once and very clearly. I know many of my long replies aren't read by most. They aren't even meant to be at times....but I *DO* ask those replying directly to them to have at least read them.

Junk meat has NOTHING TO DO with Nutritional value...and my point..only point..and last point here is that of the THOUSANDS of mammals on God's Earth to suddenly decide is above average for health Food value ..it JUST HAPPENS to be Horse...which just HAPPENS to be the core of the scandal rocking the corps that make this world go around.

Perhaps you'll read all of this shorter one? Anyway... I'm off for now.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I've said it before that Uk seems to get their panties in a twist over horse meat. Now it seems US is hopping into same train. Be mad about wrong labelling. Dont be mad that it's horse. Horse is good. Back in the real world many places consume horse meat and always have. After the horse meat products like the lasagne was discovered our authorities pulled them from sale because of the mislabelling. Then they donated the meats to charity.
I leave you with what this image of what has happened because of this scandal: "Horse meat for sale, for your lasagne"
static.iltalehti.fi..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
this is the dumbest thing ever lol, as if we need to start mass slaughtering horses just to get more iron and protein. lol

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11:11
this is the dumbest thing ever lol, as if we need to start mass slaughtering horses just to get more iron and protein. lol

There already is a legit horse meat industry that slaughters the animals on a large scale. Why not use it?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by RMFX1

That's correct. if Horse meat industry is already there its only matter of time before us and others follow suit.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2 >>

join