It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A filling tasty meal for those with little money

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

Thank you for the pepper growing tip. I'm quite north, so I've always had trouble with bell peppers (I need a green house), but banana peppers, and the hotter jalepeno and cayennes do really well, being smaller.

I plan on growing lots this summer.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
sounds good, and adding whatever meat is handy/left-over to get more protein

I used to make something similar years ago...with meat we called it goulash
allrecipes.com...
allrecipes.com...
or do your own search.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You might like this one Cody.

Many many years ago when i was still studying and living in a bedsit, some of my bedsit student mates and i went on a midnight raid after coming back from the pub a little worse for the wear one saturday to the local vegetable grossist and ended up with 2 x 55lb bags of potatoes on our backs... (Massive veggie grossist that always had about 2 lorry loads of veg delivered to the ouside of the premises every Saturday and was left over the weekend)...

Imagine 4 guys staggering down the street trying to look as inconspicuous as possible (plus the fact that one of the bags was leaking spuds out and we had to keep picking them up all the time!)

Not to forget the local dairy down the road where we always had a "free" crate of fresh milk for the week that we would manage to liberate!

We ate spuds for weeks afterwards and this is one of the goodies that i managed to cook up.

To mention also : (we only had a microwave and a simple gas ring burner).

Recipe for 2 to 3 people :

Cook 4 large potatoes in the microwave until inside is soft (or bake in oven)

Scrape out the inside and mash with a little salt, pepper, butter or margarine) but keep the skins for later use

Fry some bacon and then cut into tiny pieces then mix with the mashed potato

Place the mashed potato back into the skins and place potatoes into a casserole

Spread remaining mashed potato on top of potatoes in casserole

Open a tin of peeled tomatos, add some hashed garlic and also Parsley if you have it and then hash up tomatos.

Spread the tomato mix on the top of the potatoes (about 2 cm thick), sprinkle a little grated cheese and chuck back into the microwave (or the oven) until cheese bubbles or goes golden brown.

Yum Yum Bon appetit...

You can call this the RodSplodge if you like.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 17-3-2013 by Rodinus because: crap spelling mistake

edit on 17-3-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 17-3-2013 by Rodinus because: Even crapper spelling mistake!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Sounds good, I might try that one myself!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
You might like this one Cody.

Many many years ago when i was still studying and living in a bedsit, myself and some of my bedsit student mates went on a midnight raid after coming back from the pub one saturday to the local vegetable grossist and ended up with 2 x 55lb bags of potatoes... imagine 4 guys staggering down the street trying to look as inconspicuous as possible (plus the fact that one of the bags was leaking spuds out and we had to keep picking them up all the time!)

We ate spuds for weeks afterwards and this is one of the goodies that i managed to cook up.

To mention (we only had a microwave and a simple gas ring burner).

Recipe for 2 to 3 people.

Cook 4 large potatoes in the microwave until inside is soft (or bake in oven)

Scrape out the inside and mash with a little salt, pepper, butter or margarine) but keep the skins for later use

Fry some bacon and then cut into tiny pieces then mix with the mashed potato

Place the mashed potato back into the skins and place potatoes into a casserole

Spread remaining mashed potato on top of potatoes in casserole

Open a tin of peeled tomatos, add some hashed garlic and also Parsley if you have it and then hash up tomatos.

Spread the tomato mix on the top of the potatoes (about 2 cm thick), sprinkle a little grated cheese and chuck back into the microwave (or the oven) until cheese bubbles or goes golden brown.

Yum Yum Bon appetit...

You can call this the RodSplodge if you like.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 17-3-2013 by Rodinus because: crap spelling mistake

RodSploge it is

Ever thought of writing a cookery book for students? Of course you'd have to have an app for it

Kinda cooking by phone with whatever's left.

Could be interesting

Kindest respects
Cody

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Hehe, after reading my card that was pulled by Rainbowresidue today on this link :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I might just do that and make Loaaaadssaaaamonnneeeeyyyyy! (warning couple of rude words)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

And if my business venture (or winning the pools) does not work i will end up like this :

(Warning some people might be offended by bad language)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 17-3-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by cody599

someones trolling for stars and flags
you just taught the readers how to make low quality spaghetti..... wooooooooo!

Well, you know what Sirhumperdink?

I am going to flag this post and star everyone who has posted a positive comment to this thread as evidently you have nothing to contribute!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have a book of "filling tasty meal[s]" - recipes by people who have cooked with little money for generations: White Trash Cooking, by Ernest Matthew Mickler. A few recipe titles:

Uncle Willies Swamp Cabbage Stew
Hoppin' John
Limpin' Sue
Betty Sue's Sister-in-Law's Fried Eggplant
Pore Folk Soup
Aunt Rose Deaton's All-American Slum-Gullion (The Best)
Mama Leila's Hand-Me-Down Oven-Baked Possum
Plain Ol' Potato Pone
Imogene's Impossible Pie

The photos alone are worth the price of the book.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I know this sounds mad but if you have an hour or so before you want to eat and have your basic ingredients and some red peppers then try slow oven cooking the sauce, it really brings out some beautiful flavours, easily my favourite dish and it's beyond easy to cook

Pre-heat oven to 190C. Cut one or two red peppers (use the long sweet peppers if you can!) into quarters, remove seeds and the stalk and place inside up into an oven proof bowl. Finely chop up 2 cloves of garlic and place them in and around the peppers and add a good helping of olive oil (don't be scared
) over the peppers. (you can add quartered fresh tomatoes now as well if you like!)

Now just slap it in the oven for 30-40 mins until the peppers have softened and began to cook a little. Now add a can of chopped tomatoes and stir it into the peppers with some salt and pepper then place it back in the oven until you are ready to eat.

Cook pasta, mix together and you have one hell of a tasty meal for not much money at all

edit on 17/3/2013 by constant_thought because: speelign errers

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Add some single cream to the sauce, when combined with the pasta throw in a bunch of chopped basil, grated cheese and any kind of ham although preferably serrano or prosciutto and wham, you just stepped up something good to something great!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
hmm just spaghetti with tomatoe sauce... nothing special... everybody should know this.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Funnily enough I made a similar version this evening...I guess things are as tough for you as they are for me currently.

One of the well known supermarkets does 12 meatballs for £1.15 (in the fresh meat aisle, no horse for us...we hope),

Value passata 29p a carton,

Pasta you have hanging around your house,

Pinch of oregano,

Chopped onion,

fresh garlic clove (grate to a paste).

Cheap as chips, or cheaper than some chips if you think about it.

Oh and today I bought a real bargin...Vaue tea bags 80 for 27p.

On top of that I had a coupon for 71p from one of those price matching with other store rivalry things, where the man just left it at the side of his self checkout till, sounds really classless, but I said to him, don't forget your voucher, and he went, "Nah, it's only worth 71p, not worth it!"

"But you can get 71p off your next shop?!" I said, he still didn't want it, so I said ok, I'll keep it thank you.

71p might not be a lot of money, but when times are tough, 71p can make a positive impact.

edit on 17-3-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2013 by solargeddon because: Bah...typos!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
post of this sort already up

Suggest thread stoppage....similar post linked above. Even though the op didn't respond to any replies, this thread hijacker needs to be put down.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Mmm, goulash. I grew up eating that stuff once a week.

My contribution to the thread is 1 or 2 eggs, a little bit of water, a pinch of cinnamon and few drops of vanilla extract. Cheaper yet, just the eggs, water and a few dashes of sugar or a couple stevia leaves from the garden. Mix well in bowl and fry up stirring an folding occasionally. Serve with syrup.
I call it "french toast eggs" or "scrambled delight".
Of course you could add a few other things like milk and nutmeg but all that might go over budget.

ETA: cracker cerial. My sister and I ate it as kids. You crush up some saltines with a heavy dose of sugar and add milk. Eat quickly before it comes soggy. lol
edit on 17-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'll link a recent thread I did with recipes for rice and lentils, and one for an oatmeal dish. These too are economical, and can feed lots of family members. Thanks for the pasta sauce recipe and the others - there is a world of food to try and lots of the real good stuff is inexpensive. Here's my "Aleister's" recipe page, and I'll link this thread to that one as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by cody599

someones trolling for stars and flags
you just taught the readers how to make low quality spaghetti..... wooooooooo!

Well, you know what Sirhumperdink?

I am going to flag this post and star everyone who has posted a positive comment to this thread as evidently you have nothing to contribute!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

well im sorry for being such a stick in the mud then but really..... a recipe for cheap spaghetti?
whats next a recipe for cheese and crackers? detailed instructions on how to tie your shoes? maybe toss in some ABCs while were at it?

see you as well as several others in this thread have contributed with actual recipes or real information..... everybody already knows essentially how to make spaghetti and this was clearly an attempt to garner stars or someone just bored out of their mind
so no while i do respect the op i will not conceded that it was in any way constructive to create a thread detailing how to make a cheap spaghetti.... now if he wanted to contribute something many people are not already aware of.... that i could get behind

anyway heres a vague recipe for a drink i enjoy youll have to use your best judgment as far as what appeals to your taste
heat some water on the stove about the size of the batch you want to make and begin slowly adding sugar and lemon to taste (you want to aim for a lightly flavored and slightly sweet lemonade)
after the lemonade suits your taste lower the flame on the stove and add your preferred tea (i prefer to use black tea and brew it somewhat less than you would normally for the amount of water being used but other teas especially green are also very good)
add a small amount of whatever fruit you happen to have on hand (again use your best judgement berries grapes pomegranates peaches and apples tend to be very good but i cant imagine banana being very good)
allow the fruit to soak in the hot water for 15-20 minutes or so and then remove from flame (you can add the fruit to oatmeal or something like that if you like)
chill your new beverage and enjoy
edit on 17-3-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I ate this "Pasta and Sauce" meal for $20/week for a few years while unemployed and studying on government allowance. Buying Mi Goreng by the box works too, can get like 30 packets for $10, add vegetables as desired.

Finding a local Hare Krishna place is another good way to get a tasty meal in tough times.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Another really cheap but filling and flavorsome one is simple corned beef hash. Add a tin of corned beef to a pan of well buttered mashed potatoes...amazing

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Brilliant..

Thanks for the memories

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join