It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

QUOTE button should be removed!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Here is another flaw I found on ATS completely useless. There are several others - homepage is actually outdated for several reasons, but that's not the point.
Why ATS members uses this button, when they can just push reply? Many of them do it only to make a thread huge and impossible to read. It's actually a big deal, when someone quote "for fun" just to make us swap for several pages instead of reading what we want.
I am only trying to help, course that's what I do every single day and I feel it is important.
My suggestion is - give a number to every answer!

Let's say:
" I completely agree with #5 point of view but #11 has a better understanding of this."
It's much more easier to find.
At the same time I already sold two problems.
Can go much deeper, but let's see how this goes.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K

But how will the OP know which specific text my sarcastic reply is relating to?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by Izak4K

I'll Quote before anyone does. That's why I suggest number's.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izak4K

reply to post by Izak4K

I'll Quote before anyone does. That's why I suggest number's.

I'm not good with numbers though.

What about Egyptian hieroglyphs instead?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It's even better.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

reply to post by LiveForever8

It's even better.

What is even better?

I'm sorry, but without context I have no clue what you are referring to.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K

Tell me which of your replies am replying to???

Cause I can't tell either???

Peace
edit on 17-3-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K

QUOTE button should be removed!

Here is another flaw I found on ATS completely useless.
I find it a most useful tool to use...

Why ATS members uses this button
Open a few tabs and you can do the above and below...

...impossible to read
Learn how to use it - it can make your reply posts less cluttered and more pertinent...

I am only trying to help
Thanks... I guess??

ETA:

...but let's see how this goes.
So how is it going??

Another ETA:
Woooops!!... I may have misunderstood which quote button you were referring to.

Anyhow, quoting an entire post and subsequent replies is useful in fast moving threads... it allows the reader to keep track of the relevance being expressed.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2013 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Ive seen many complaints about ats but this has to be the most ridiculous!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Watchers and observers of threads like the quote button. I read very many threads, hardly reply to any. I really like when posters use the quote button. Plus using mobile phone to access ats if I have to re-load another page just to see were a comment is relevant. It just takes to long.

You also see a few un edited posts as someone quoted before an edit, most of the time not relevant. But I've seen a few that were good catches.
to the quote button, leave him alone...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Izak4K

This could have the making of a funny thread, as I'm on my phone I can't or don't know how to quote more then one reply. ^ this one was funny as we're the others below.
edit on 17-3-2013 by feelingconnected because: Damn phone

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Nothing personal, but you are not even trying to understand.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I don`t like to have to scroll back to see what the reply is to I would rather see the quote in the post directly above the reply.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Actually you have a point there, but can you try to read my post again?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The abuse of the Quote button is a genuine nuisance, often perpetrated by comparative newcomers who haven't learned the difference.
Yet it's also a great convenience to the user; I thnk the working of the "numbers" suggestion would be rather clumsy.
I've often used the Quote button just to have in front of me the points that I'm responding to, as a reminder; I then delete the other poster's text when i've completed my own reply.

One possible answer (though it would also prevent the trick I've just mentioned) would be to limit the Quote capability to a couple of lines.
Instead of being given the whole of the other poster's text. you would be given the chance to select lines by moving a highlight up and down, and clicking.
That would stop the massive quotations, and keep the real function.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by feelingconnected

I'm just trying a new approach. ATS site looks kind of dull and outdated.
I am reading on something that I would like to talk about here on ATS.

Namaste.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
The abuse of the Quote button is a genuine nuisance, often perpetrated by comparative newcomers who haven't learned the difference.
Yet it's also a great convenience to the user; I thnk the working of the "numbers" suggestion would be rather clumsy.
I've often used the Quote button just to have in front of me the points that I'm responding to, as a reminder; I then delete the other poster's text when i've completed my own reply.

One possible answer (though it would also prevent the trick I've just mentioned) would be to limit the Quote capability to a couple of lines.
Instead of being given the whole of the other poster's text. you would be given the chance to select lines by moving a highlight up and down, and clicking.

It's not actually clumsy as you say, but it's rather, you can push the number, so you don't even need quote.
I have already did my work hp with this, it's kind of easy to implement it.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Namaste.

Lol ok, but I like the quotes. To me it makes threads flow instead of back tracking. I like ats as it is really, maybe I'm outdated
or dull

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

It's not actually clumsy as you say, but it's rather, you can push the number, so you don't even need quote.

sounds like youre coming from one of the chans and no need to be ashamed of that many of us have at one time or another but comfort and function are two things that are more often than not entirely unrelated

edit on 17-3-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by feelingconnected

Namaste.

Lol ok, but I like the quotes. To me it makes threads flow instead of back tracking. I like ats as it is really, maybe I'm outdated
or dull

Not at all, I thought all of your replys were relevant, and nothing you said was dull.

I postulate the op has a problem where he cant see he has already read the quoted material, so he gets stuck reading every line of every post, quotes and all, so it takes him a long time to read and reply.

I suggest, just looking at the quoted material, and making sure you have already read and stored it away in your noggin, then just go to the new post and read it, as the quote is meant for reference, or to highlight somthing said in a previous post.

In short op, I think it is absolutely necessary, and couldnt imagine having to copy paste every time I thought I might need to give reference to somthing in my reply.

Just my opinion of course

<<   2  3 >>

join