It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levitating Computer Mouse 'The Bat' Aims To Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

If you think your computer mouse needs a major upgrade, you might be in luck. Famed Russian designer Vadim Kibardin, 2012 winner of the DESIGN AND DESIGN International Award, has recently announced that he is developing a levitating computer mouse. And continuing the theme of naming our point-and-click devices after small mammals, it's appropriately called "The Bat."

The Bat looks like a magician's trick, but the technology behind it is simple: magnetic rings keep it afloat, and it hovers 10 millimeters beneath the weight of a user's hand, with a 40 millimeter maximum height when not in use.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This looks AMAZING... Now, to buy 100 and attach them to the bottom of my car!! I WILL RULE THE SKIES!
edit on 15-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reminds me of this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-3-2013 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

That's cute as a baby bunny...I'd want one on how it looks alone.

My Kitties would have a ball with it, that's for sure.

Des

edit on 15-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

That's pretty awesome, however, I know I would come home from a night out drinking, forget I had it, walk in and start freaking out thinking mini aliens came to abduct me!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

That's cute as a baby bunny...I'd want one on how it looks alone.

My Kitties would have a ball with it, that's for sure.

Des

edit on 15-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

I can see it now. People buying these and dressing them up in little outfits. LOL

edit on 15-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I don't think its a good idea to put strong magnets near electronic equipment. Also a magnetic field can cause paranoia, and ats members are already paranoid enough.

It looks really cool though.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Very cool.

And it makes me want to build a full-sized magnet suit so I can float around and fly over the magnetic pad.

Hm... weightless therapy for back problems and tension.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Oh no...I can see YT being flooded with new UFO vids, with these little suckers in the starring role....

At least we know what they look like now, and what they really are, so we can debunk those vids when they start getting posted here...with titles all in CAPS and the word PROOF.

Des

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Due to the laws of physics, your computer mouse already rides above the surface of your desk due to the elecromagnetic force.
This silly one just shifts the mouse 10mm higher, so you might as well just put your current mouse on a book.

The mouse is meant to reduce pressure on the wrist

What does this even mean? The current line of thinking is that the wrist needs support, and thats why you can buy gel pads to support your wrist. This mouse leaves your wrist 'floating' above the desk, and at a higher level than it is now... meaning the wrist will now 'sag' into the textbook INCORRECT, and carpal tunnel inducing position.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Because it levitates, it takes the motion away from the wrist and puts it in the elbow. I think.

I'm more worried about the strength of a magnet strong enough to support an arm. Erase hard drives and mess up monitors?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Due to the laws of physics, your computer mouse already rides above the surface of your desk due to the elecromagnetic force.
This silly one just shifts the mouse 10mm higher, so you might as well just put your current mouse on a book.

The mouse is meant to reduce pressure on the wrist

What does this even mean? The current line of thinking is that the wrist needs support, and thats why you can buy gel pads to support your wrist. This mouse leaves your wrist 'floating' above the desk, and at a higher level than it is now... meaning the wrist will now 'sag' into the textbook INCORRECT, and carpal tunnel inducing position.

Science Schmience... I wants me a floating mouse!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Oh no...I can see YT being flooded with new UFO vids, with these little suckers in the starring role....

At least we know what they look like now, and what they really are, so we can debunk those vids when they start getting posted here...with titles all in CAPS and the word PROOF.

Des

LMAO... Thanks, you just ruined my next thread I was going to start.... party pooper...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If you have problems using a mouse try some form of motion control. Dare I say it? Aside from die hard's like me, the humble mouse might have had its day....

www.youtube.com...
edit on 15/3/2013 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Are you certain the magnetic aspect of it would affect the other electronics? Wouldn't they have thought that out before making something that is used directly beside a computer?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This looks pretty cool but, the link between computer usage and Carpal Tunnel syndrome is way overblown. The majority of people who mostly use computers and get CPS have an underlying medical condition the makes them more prone to get it and they frequently exhibit poor posture. Vibrating tools are actually far worse as far as causing CPS. On a side not, I've had one hand operated on already and will be having the second done this summer.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

Oh I'm sure they know what it would do to equipment that is too close to the mouse, but the average consumer wont know, or wont have the space to keep their equips far enough from it. For their demonstrations, they probably have their hard drives and screens well away from that thing. If you're thinking that they can somehow negate the magnetic field with something that works like a faraday cage for magnetic fields - nah, I don't think so.

eta: Imagine grandma using that thing with her computer on top of her desk. She then picks the thing up trying to move it while it's still plugged in and then sets it near her pc. The strength of the magnet (able to hold up an arms weight) is then pointing at her hard drive - I think it'll get wiped.
edit on 3/15/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What you REALLY need is this Leapmotion gizmo
You can pre-order it too for under 100 dollars. Available it is said... in May

forum here for more info from the developers and people who are developing apps for iphones etc

Leap motion device would be far better I think.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
What you REALLY need is this Leapmotion gizmo
You can pre-order it too for under 100 dollars. Available it is said... in May

forum here for more info from the developers and people who are developing apps for iphones etc

Leap motion device would be far better I think.

Does it float like a miniture Deathstar? Could I wrap my hands around it and make it do my bidding upon other star systems?

YES!!! Can your "leap motion device" do that?.....

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by alfa1

Because it levitates, it takes the motion away from the wrist and puts it in the elbow. I think.

I'm more worried about the strength of a magnet strong enough to support an arm. Erase hard drives and mess up monitors?

I am looking at it as.....

If this thing doesnt support my arm..... its going to suck trying to hold it up for an 8 hour session, or my right

arm muscles are going to get massive.

top topics

join