It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Chicago Police brochure peppered with black stereotypes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Ummm no.

What I said was I do not see how they are stereotyping. It is you who claimed they are simply making a joke to which I said, I can not make such jokes at my job.

The only thing not valid here is your circular logic

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
That being said, I fail to see what the so called "stereotype" is. Fact is, Blacks make up 12-13% of the population and account for 40.1% of the prison population in 2009. So showing a back man in a prison jumpsuit is not a stereotype at all... it is a reflection of reality.

I agree - at least they didn't go the way of DHS who when they put out their neato "See something say something" video. In that video all of the people committing acts of "suspicious activity" were indeed white males while the minority and female citizens were reporting the "behavior".

Let’s set aside for a moment that say 1:1000 of all "terrorist" acts in the US are committed by a white male what were they after?

Either they were so hypersensitive to PC that they went the opposite way out of fear of being accused of reinforcing "racial profiling" or perhaps they wanted to reinforce their own recent declaration that veterans, patriot groups (which people associate with white supremacy) and "right wing extremists" (which also people associate with being white) are the new enemy.

Either way the portrayal in the DHS video in no way reflected the truth of who commits these type acts in America.

At least these guys got their demographics right – good on them.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

In many ways it depends how you choose to look at it.

Yes, our prisons are 40% black, but does that mean blacks are the only ones committing crimes? And also, what are these "crimes"?

The truth is that many are non violent drug offenders. Add to that, that we have many laws that have criminalized behavior that should not be considered criminal at all. For example look at this case... Man arrested for releasing balloons

Now here we have a black man who is now facing 5 years in jail for the "crime" of releasing balloons into the air. A 3rd degree Felony. So we are going turn this man into a convicted felon over some balloons, and our jails are full of these type of "criminals" and "crimes" that have no real victim.

So what happens to this guy when he gets out? Well he will now be a convicted felon who will find it very difficult to find work. What will he do then? I know what I would do.... turn to crime to get by. Weather it is selling drugs, stripping a building of copper, stealing stereos (which I did at age 17 when I was homeless so I could eat), crime can pay enough for you to get by in a pinch.

The system is broken. Our system lacks common sense and it creates a vicious cycle that creates more "criminals".

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

What I said was I do not see how they are stereotyping.

At least that part of your comment is accurate.

It is you who claimed they are simply making a joke

I never made such a claim. I only suggested that the "Academy" was using humor to convey a message.

I said, I can not make such jokes at my job.

No, that IS NOT quite what you said. You also defined "such jokes" as:

black jokes, gay jokes, anything like that

Because you don't seem to know any better: Those types of jokes ARE BASED ON STEREOTYPES! As I said earlier, the "Academy" didn't make any such jokes. If you feel that they did, point them out.

The only thing not valid here is your circular logic

LOL

You're the one that's "chasing your tail"!

The bottom line is:
Unless one is wanting to apply a double standard, the source of that material wouldn't matter. It would either be acceptable, or it wouldn't be.

See ya,
Milt

edit on 14-3-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join