It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy the Ultimate Bug Out Location?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I just came across this auction for the Atchison Storage Cave Facility, and thought that some of the ATS survival people might enjoy taking a look at it...or bid on it if they had the $.

That would be one awesome place to own. I would buy it myself, but I think it's a little out of my price range.

gsaauctions.gov...

The Property consists of 125.25 fee acres, more or less, a 0.21 acre water line easement, and a 0.04 acre railroad spur line easement. This includes about 2,714,075 sq. ft. of underground storage facility.

The man-made cavern was formed as a result of room-and-pillar limestone mining operations at the Property that took place from 1886 to 1944, creating two interconnected mines, known as the East Mine (about 15 acres) and the West Mine (about 45 acres). An article, written in 1999, on the history of the property can be found here: www.almc.army.mil...

The developed portion of the mine, about 1,013,000 sq. ft., includes humidity controlling equipment, is fully lighted, and has a paved floor. Administrative offices, a vault, restrooms, a break room, service areas for receiving, processing and shipping, tool shops and electrical/mechanical areas are all located inside the mine. Pillars of natural limestone 20 to 30 feet in diameter, spaced 30 to 40 feet apart, support the ceiling. The interior ceiling is approximately 12 feet in height and varies from 50 to 110 feet of overburden. The Property includes a loading dock entrance to the underground area, an organizational maintenance shop area, a rail loading area, other areas and buildings, and an unpaved perimeter road.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Atchison Storage Facility, commonly known as the "Atchison Caves" lies 50 to 150 feet (15 to 46 m) below the park under the limestone bluffs that line the Missouri River Valley. The bunker complex has served the United States for more than 60 years as a secure storage facility from World War II to the present day.

www.almc.army.mil...

The site is known also as "Atchison Cave," which is a misnomer, because it is not really a cave, but a vast complex of underground mines. Limestone was mined from within a bluff, creating huge cave-like rooms. The total underground surface area of the complex is approximately 127 acres. It has been described as the world's largest single storage unit on one level, with floor space equivalent to a multimillion-dollar storage building. One hundred seventy-eight pillars of unmined limestone, each 20 to 30 feet in diameter, support the massive rock ceiling.

edit on 13-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
2 million square feet?
That would be some location! You could house a small town in that big of an area and still have room for entertainment areas, hydroponic systems, water storage, and a whole lot more. That is just crazy, wonder what price per square foot it ends up selling for?
edit on 3/13/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Q: What's the ultimate bugout location?
A: Gravett Island

en.memory-alpha.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
S&F This is so cool! I would love to check this out. If I had the money, I would buy it and rent it out to the movie studios as soundstage space for filming.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Certainly not your average bug out but maybe the best bug out place for it. This is really would be excellent purchase for Big group or even small town of survivalists. Good post.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I like the long growing season and the many survival/thrival opportunities in Tennessee. We, the husband and I, had went on 4 survival trips with a group and a backpacking trip in Tn. There is just an abundance of life, vegetation, terrain, and supplies EVERYWHERE if you know what youre looking for. Southern Mo would be my second choice. Ive lived in Mo and though I now live in So Il, we go to Mo for camping and backpacking in Mo. Mo, like Tn, is full of caves and underground lakes/rivers. In Bonne Terre we did a cave dive in CLEAR fresh water. My first rappelling experienes up to advanced were in Mo. Ive lived all over the country.. and outside of the coutry.. over the yrs. Those 2 states have the most "pro" attributes and factors in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Q: What's the ultimate bugout location?
A: Gravett Island

en.memory-alpha.org...

Make it so...

An alternative could be Bora Bora...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As the absolute ultimate in "Cool" places to brag to your buddies about? Nothing tops that! Well....an old ICBM Silo may...but I don't know, that's pretty high on the cool factor!

As a bug out location? Well... Just be aware that you're stockpiling for the express purpose of supplying the local troops of the DHS or Northern Command forces if it ever comes to that. After all, as we all read last year, they were cataloging and recording the names of citizens stocking up on food and supplies from wholesalers in the Midwest and Eastern states. Everyone else recall that?

What could be easier..than a facility Uncle Sam literally made, refined and lived in for it's whole functional life? They know where it is, how to re-enter it with ease and every weakness the facility has. Obvious and NOT so obvious.

As a place to stock and hide from anything the Government may be remotely related to? Well... It's quite literally moving into their old house. They'll be back someday to reclaim what's been added ...if they deem the need.

That's my thoughts on using a thing like that for something other than the obvious commercial value or the sheer "Cool Factor" for a .com millionaire or trust fund baby.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

That is so creepy because I had a dream I was in a place JUST LIKE THAT and it was being filled in with SAND and everyone had to climb a rope that was hanging from a hole at the very top to get out. And when I got to the top, this old man tried to give me a giant rat.

That is so freaking weird.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Old silos are pretty popular...but of course, there's always the chance that an old missile is pre-programmed with YOU as the target..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Is It any where near the New Madrid fault line?
Looking for it on a map.

Found It
Not on it but to close for comfort for me.
Not that I could ever be a bidder at that auction

edit on 13-3-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
ya sounds great!!! but whats the resale value gonna be in 10 years?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Depends on what you did with it. I could see a rich guy outfitting this space with some serious survival specs, making luxury condos, then selling them as bugout condos for other rich folks.

Right now though, it's just a storage facility with some office space.

That kind of plan would work better with silos, because they are already designed from a survivalist standpoint. In fact, a few of those who've bought silos are doing just that...making luxury bug out condos.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Are these the same limestone caverns in Missouri that Morgan Freeman describes in "Deep Impact" movie? Because if so that would be pretty cool.

new topics

top topics

join