It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starve latent MRSA bacteria and/or Cancer cells by avoiding Carbs... What about the brain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The brain, for most people on a standard diet, metabolizes about 130-150g of glucose daily. In ketosis, and for keto-adapted people, the brain can cut that demand in half...and in some cases even more by burning Ketone bodies instead.

It's much more efficient. So, yes, it's safe and effective. For MRSA? Probably doesn't matter... bacterial infections are not like cancer. Cancer cells, for the most part, prefer glucose as fuel due to it's 'quick burning' ability. They need to replicate quickly before apoptosis. Converting glucose to energy doesn't require as many moving parts, or oxygen, as do other fuels (fatty acids, etc.).

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by signalfire

Insulting the autocorrect of my word processer is a rather trivial and annoying point to make, it constitutes nothing to the debate I really don’t know why you would bother posting that if you know what I mean there isn’t a problem.

Fundamentally the OP is asking of a low carb diet can starve cancer cells to a point where they die and no longer function. The answer is simply no because as anyone who has ever studied any level of biochemistry will tell you the cancer cells will just find another source of energy, they will start to use up the bodies proteins. You cannot starve cancer cells just by cutting out carbs all you’re going to do is make yourself sicker. Yes you might be correct in saying that Cancer cells wont metabolise Ketones but ketones are the by-product of the brake down of fatty acids for energy use but cells including cancer cells so it really doesn’t matter. After all the adipose tissue has been used up the cancer cells are then going to start to use the body’s own proteins to produce energy and if you have been starving yourself of carbs you’re going to end up having big problems. If the cancer has spread to the pancreases and you and you advise them that “low carbs is the key” and ketone bodies will save the day you will probably kill that person with ketoacidosis or if they are on lots of steroids which in turn may reduce the effectiveness of insulin and again cause ketoacidosis. Low carbs might help you lose weight and give you bad breath but they won’t help you beat cancer.

The key to healthy eating is a balanced diet all these idiots who come out with rubbish like eat nothing but cranberry’s and never touch an egg are talking out of their behind. Healthy eating is not complicated it amazes me that money that people spend on diet books, supplements and “super-foods” when all you need to do is have some common sense.

You again prove by this post you don't know what you're talking about. There are people who live YEARS on a ketotic diet for epilepsy. You just have to have enough fat content in it to prevent a calorie deficit once your body's fat stores are depleted.

I really hope people read your post and realize you have no clue, this is too important an issue to be left to run-on sentences and spell check errors...

<< 1   >>

join