It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samira Ibrahim 'Refuses to Apologize' For Her Tweets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Samira Ibrahim 'Refuses to Apologize' For Her Tweets

www.theatlantic.com

Lee Smith reports that Samira Ibrahim, the Egyptian woman whose anti-American and antisemitic tweets have forced the State Department to defer granting her the International Woman of Courage Award -- an award Michelle Obama and John Kerry were scheduled to present to her on Friday -- now seems to admit that she was the author of the tweets in question. She previously claimed that her account was hacked.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

US Suspends Award
US State Department delays Award
State Dept to give Samira Ibrahim International Woman of Courage Award
edit on 8-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is quite a story to follow. Just hours prior to this development and a story I had originally been setting up for this submission, she was claiming it was all a hack job and she didn't write them. A number of people were supporting her and raising voices in doubt of the claims she would have said such things.

Among them, were one celebrating the Burgas Airport bombing of the Jewish Bus and hoping America would burn on the anniversary of 9/11, of all times.

This would have formed the core of the next major Washington Scandal, had it carried through on the award ceremony. This lack of properly vetting and checking people has cropped up before and really needs to be attended to, IMO. It's happening too often and some day, someone dangerous is going to slip into where they should never have been.

I've linked the the stories for other stages of this to give some idea of how this has evolved. 2 of the 3 supporting links are to entirely different approaches of this story . . . prior to this latest development.

www.theatlantic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

* The links in the top post got munched somehow...they should be correct and loading now
edit on 8-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
God job Samira, Never should anyone shake hands with an opressive regime.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Wow.. antisemetic?

If they say so.

Even her last name "Ibrahim" is semitic.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
According to wikipedia, the award she is getting is (despite its "International" name)...

...an American award presented annually by the United States Department of State to women around the world who have shown leadership, courage, resourcefulness and willingness to sacrifice for others, especially for better promotion of women's rights.

So on the face of it, it appears she *is* qualified to receive the award, even if she does not support the political views of the group awarding it, since political views do not enter into the criteria for winning such an award.

It would be like not ever being able to recieve the Nobel prize in physics, because you disagreed with the way the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences runs things.

Or not being able to ever win a "best actor" award at the Oscars because you'd been critical of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Such refusal to deliver rightfully deserved awards would be seen by many to be undeserved punishment for not toeing the politically correct line.

edit on 8-3-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

Why would she have been here to accept the award from one then? She was in the U.S. and set to take the award when this all became a major issue and confused. I.E....She was fine with this being unknown until called on it and sent home without the award in the end. It's rather annoying as I was quite literally writing something half way nice before finding that she had all but confirmed writing what she had. (I thought it might have actually been hacked ...given that they only found a few among so many she wrote .. but WOW .. what a few to write)

Anyone, anywhere in the world can say whatever they want about the U.S.. America happens to generally respect freedom of speech directed toward it as well as by those within it. It gets outright rude, wouldn't you say, when it's being said by someone happy to take the gifts of those same folks though? At least it strikes me that way.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Just to add clarity to the topic of the thread, these are the quotes of what she wrote in 2 of them. They aren't even simply offensive. They are vicious and mean spirited given the civilian nature of the deaths in both sentiments.

The rightwing Weekly Standard said Ibrahim, who is prolific on Twitter, had written in August: “An explosion on a bus carrying Israelis in Burgas airport in Bulgaria on the Black Sea. Today is a very sweet day with a lot of very sweet news.”

She also allegedly wrote on September 11 “Today is the anniversary of 9/11. May every year come with America burning,” the Standard said.

Ibrahim has told the State Department that her account was hacked.
Source

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't take an award from the US government if I was given one.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

I am an American,and proud of it.But I too would refuse any award presented to me by the current illegal regime.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

she would.....

hypocrite much?

you also wouldnt be in the US would you? She would.....

good for her huh....you can keep her....we dont want people like that anywhere in the world. Please, keep them to yourselves.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misbah
God job Samira, Never should anyone shake hands with an opressive regime.

This coming from the guy who thinks that the 700 year Muslim invasion and occupation of Spain was justified.................

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Antonio1

ORLYY??!

0.o

good to know.

Dont worry though, now the moors sell trinkets in Spain because their own country is a mess......they are still coming here They just come in hopes of a better life instead of conquest and sadly (for them) history betrays their chances of being accepted.

oh it was 800 years BTW....

edit on 8-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

You're exactly right and it really is the hypocrisy that not only annoys me here but also disturbs me.

Can you imagine learning this sort of thing in the context of the aftermath of a stupid act? I'll leave detail off because of the sensitivity of the whole subject matter ...Who and where she was to get this award, specifically. However, it's the kind of thing one wouldn't be surprised to hear about existing, after something bad happened.

To hear she actually said it? Well..... Who *IS* minding the store for keeping track of who is getting touching distance to the top people in the U.S. Government? (Or their immediate family)

It's getting a little out of hand in that way, I think. It's getting to be a pure and simple question of national security and above any politics. People who hate us and the nation probably ought not be around certain VERY high profile U.S. figures, eh?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

if you hate the US and its people / way of life, leave. I cant imagine being here for any good intentions if you vehemently hate the US....

they should´nt work in DMV, in a mayors office, anywhere. I can imagine that they do daily acts of sabotage as their hobby. Honestly, its a good thing I am not anyone´s leader....I would be a saint to my people /allies and the devil himself to our enemies.....

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by Antonio1

ORLYY??!

0.o

good to know.

Dont worry though, now the moors sell trinkets in Spain because their own country is a mess......they are still coming here They just come in hopes of a better life instead of conquest and sadly (for them) history betrays their chances of being accepted.

oh it was 800 years BTW....

Thanks for the correction.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I found this story before she admitted the tweets were hers, now seeing that they
are, if she wants to see America burning it seems rather self serving then to
expect an award from the U.S. for anything, let alone courage.

What is courageous about her hypocrisy?

And I have to say it, The State Department has money to spend on awards for foreigners,
and all of the expense that goes along with it? This is one fine example of
of exactly why the spending by the U.S. Government needs to be reduced 90%.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Very well said and I couldn't agree more, both with the problem and the solution!

90% sounds about right to me. We can start with the paychecks to all the elected officials at the federal level ... then perhaps cut the Dept Heads by 50% and let them earn the other half back by performance they can be proud of ...not hide from.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
No doubt when the men decide she's gone to far, Samira Ibrahim will flee to the liberal West - to the US, UK or France. She can sit there and spout all her hatred to her hosts, secure in the knowledge they will not send her back to her old friends.

Women's rights and Islam are words that do not naturally sit together. I applaud any woman fighting oppressive rules in these Muslim countries.

Regards

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Exaclty.

So many people do not understand that the beast is overfed,
bloated and is going to eat itself into oblivian. They imagine that it
has and endless supply of new and fresh mammary glands from which to suck.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I do not agree with her comments, but in the spirit of American freedom of speech I support her right to say what she feels, I am glad to see we did not honor her with an award.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join