It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DPRK nuke treat, not that easy to dismiss.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Now the threat has been made and the date set March,11th 2013 what to do about it if DPRK does decide to use the Nuke. the link below provides some answers
openchannel.nbcnews.com... from the link

By Robert Windrem
Senior investigative producer, NBC News

Thursday’s announcement by North Korea that it could launch a pre-emptive nuclear attack against the United States in the face of new U.N. sanctions is a predictable escalation of the isolated nation’s increasingly aggressive stance toward Washington over the past year. But experts note that Pyongyang’s recent advances in its nuclear weapons and missile programs mean that such bellicose rhetoric cannot be taken lightly.
it is long but i will post the more important items,

It is not unusual for the North to make threats against the U.S., Japan or South Korea. And on occasion -- as in the case of the 2010 artillery barrage of Yeonpyeong Island and an earlier attack on a South Korean gunboat -- it has carried out these threats. It has never taken any military action after threatening the United States, however.

Some analysts have suggested that the latest round of threats is intended to show that the young Kim will continue his father’s legacy of hostility toward the U.S.

To what end?
DPRK train of thought,self destruction or a hail marry shot and hope it hits?

North Korea has long wanted the U.S. to sit down with its negotiators to hammer out an agreement to end the Korean War, which ended in 1953 not in a peace treaty but in a truce.

The North would like to gain concessions from the U.S. in such a negotiation, but its escalating threats and rhetoric have the opposite effect: The Obama administration, like preceding administrations, has steadfastly refused to negotiate with Pyongyang.
Could DPRK er Un hope this threat brings the US to the table? so why does the US stay in the SK and not leave well not that simple

The problem is that North Korea, which has long taken a backseat in U.S. councils to the Middle East, does have military capabilities that could at the very least threaten U.S. interests in North Asia.

According to a recent analysis, North Korea has a weapon stockpile that could threaten both Japan and South Korea and, in longer term, the United States. Some of the weapons have already been deployed, say U.S. officials, who spoke to NBC News on condition of anonymity. Moreover, the North has begun research into more advanced and dangerous weapons, possibly even thermonuclear weapons, they say.

At the high end of the stockpile range, U.S. officials and other researchers said North Korea may already have up to "a few dozen" nuclear weapons that could be fitted atop its vast fleet of ballistic missiles. Those missiles are limited to an intermediate range, capable of hitting targets in Japan, South Korea or elsewhere in the northern Pacific, including U.S. military bases as far south as Guam, the officials believe.
so let them launch we can shoot them down right?

The U.S. believes the space launch tests are part of a development plan for an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the continental United States with a payload of several hundred kilotons — 10 to 20 times the size of the bombs that destroyed the Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

U.S. officials publicly express confidence that the national missile defense system based in Alaska would be able to shoot down any incoming North Korean ICBM.

“I can tell you that the United States is fully capable of defending against any North Korean ballistic missile attack,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said Thursday in response to a question about the North Korean threat.

He also said the U.N. sanctions will make it harder for Pyongyang to continue to make progress on its weapons and missiles.

“North Korea … will now face new barriers to developing its banned nuclear and ballistic missile programs,” he said. “Resolution 2094 increases North Korea's isolation and demonstrates to North Korea's leaders the increasing costs they pay for defying the international community.”
If they where not then they are now, and do they really have the Nuke?

For the past several years, the U.S. also has been monitoring North Korean research into thermonuclear weapons — hydrogen bombs and bombs known as boosted-fission weapons, in which plutonium and uranium are combined for a higher energy yield. (The problem is that if the North conducted a test and claimed that it was thermonuclear, the U.S. would have difficulty determining if the North was telling the truth. The test site at Kilchu is far enough inland that the U.S. would not have access to the particulate matter needed to make an accurate determination, experts say. )
why hit a bees nest with a bat, when you can see there are bees,

David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security, or ISIS, a nonpartisan nuclear arms research group, said last year that any tests in the future may also be about ensuring the reliability of North Korea's current weapons design.

"Once you get beyond a dozen, it makes sense to test type and reliability of your weapons," he said. Albright said then that his group's estimate of North Korea's weapons stockpile is a bit less than those provided by the U.S. officials, but that ISIS, too, believes Pyongyang has "missile-deliverable weapons."

The design of the weapons is believed to be based on Chinese models (as were the first generation Pakistani nuclear weapons). The design is basic, and was developed in the 1960s with help from the Soviet Union, which used it to produce a whole line of nuclear warheads.

While some analysts suggested that the North planned its December rocket launch to gain attention ahead of the presidential election in South Korea , some in the U.S. non-proliferation community think otherwise. They expect that once the North feels comfortable with its ICBM technology, it will deploy the missiles. They point to the Musudan intermediate range missile which was tested in middle of the last decade, then deployed — presumably with nuclear warheads — and aimed at Japan.

Once the North has confidence in the long-range missile based on the space rocket, U.S. officials believe they will deploy it as well, making North Korea the third nation to have nuclear weapons targeted at the United States, after Russia and China.

Many in the Obama administration see that as a more frightening prospect than Iran gaining nuclear weapons, believing that Tehran is a rational actor that will serve its own national interest and preserve the regime, compared to successive generations of North Korean leaders who have shown that they are unpredictable and erratic.

But would it force the U.S. to conduct face-to-face talks with the North? State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in December that the North has a better option.

Referring to Kim Jong Un, Nuland said: "He can plot a way forward that ends the isolation, that brings relief and a different way of life and progress to his people, or he can further isolate them with steps like this. He can spend his time and his money shooting off missiles, or he can feed his people, but he can't have both."

NBC News' Shawna Thomas contributed to this report; this piece is an updated version of a post originally published on Dec. 13,

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I understand this is worthy of keeping an eye on, but this is what I think...

The recent threat to end the cease fire and then the threat to nuke the USA is just a cry for attention. Their people are starving and they are jumping up and down and beating their chest to say "Pay attention to me!"

Their long range missile program is not historically successful. Yes they finally got one off after how many tries? The biggest threat would be to S. Korea and Japan. The reliable missile tech they have has limited range...their long range might blow up on the launch pad and they could effectively "dirty bomb" themselves.

I just don't think it is going to happen.

China is not going to allow a nuclear exchange on their border...they will do something before it escalates to that. I would not be surprised to see China take "preemptive" actions against North Korea on their own first. Invade them, dismantle their military and put a Chinese controlled gov in place. I honestly believe that will happen before China allows a war to "fire up" on their borders and under their watch.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

It would be for the best if China just did that, but then would china risk a nuke war with DPRK? not an easy out no matter what, even if it is all a bluff by the DPRK that they do have a nuke, they still have Bio Chem weapons.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You have to understand, Kim Jong Un is trying to show that he has muscle to flex. That's it. This is all about making himself look like a strong, no bullsnot leader in his country.

It happens a lot when there are regime changers in dictator-led nations.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
China is not going to allow a nuclear exchange on their border...they will do something before it escalates to that. I would not be surprised to see China take "preemptive" actions against North Korea on their own first. Invade them, dismantle their military and put a Chinese controlled gov in place. I honestly believe that will happen before China allows a war to "fire up" on their borders and under their watch.

dudes, China and NK are con-joined at the hip. There is no distinct separation for us in the west..

they only exist in the first place because of China's actions during the Korean War...

anything NK does, i'm positive comes from Beijing as an order.

The Chinese controlled gov you speak of IS ALREADY IN PLACE

They use NK as leverage and a buffer zone between SK/America
edit on 7-3-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
North Korea is still a long way off from being able to hit a target in the US.
Can they lob one in our general direction? Sure. But I am not concerned in the least.

The hard part is the guidance package, just ask the Russians why they made their nukes so powerful for so long. Because they couldn't hit jack and/or squat with them.

As was said, they're just pissed because they are an international joke.

Then the fact that this is coming from NBC makes it lose any credibility it might have had. The only thing the MSM does is fear-monger, which is what this is.

IF

And that is a gigantic if.
NK were to hit the US with a nuke. I would be hard pressed to believe the Govt. didn't do it itself to avoid budget cuts and troop draw downs.

After all, we are going to need a new war to fight soon.
edit on 7-3-2013 by watchitburn because: giant if

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

And if what you say is true then DPRK er Un has the Nuke, for the way you put, China would not let their front door unguarded with out nukes. think of it this way, it puts the front door of DC much closer to Beijing.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I see your point, but I don't think they are attached at the hip as you might think. To China, NK would kind of be like your goofy cousin you are embarrassed to be seen out in public with. China has supported the sanctions against them (as far as we know anyway).

Lil Kim just wants the world to think he is a "big boy". As I said, I would be far more worried at an attack on Japan or SK than any threat against the USA. If the cease fire is dissolved and hostilities re-kindle...we will have to go to the defense of Japan if nothing else...we agreed to defend them years ago in exchange for them having very limited military capability.

This of course WILL put us nose to nose with China...something neither country wants or needs. China needs to tighten the leash on NK and all of this will fade...
edit on 3/7/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You have to understand, Kim Jong Un is trying to show that he has muscle to flex. That's it. This is all about making himself look like a strong, no bullsnot leader in his country.

It happens a lot when there are regime changers in dictator-led nations.

He may look like a big man to his people but he looks like an idiot to the rest of the world. I can't believe he is threatening the USA. I worry that he may actually following through. I guess time will tell.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm not entirely convinced these new sanctions will do anything to hinder nuclear weapons manufacturing either. The new sanctions in place say Countries have to inspect ships/planes or anything that is suspected to be carrying illegal materials before they leave the Country if it's connected to North Korea. Well we know nobody on the North Korean side is going to take these sanctions serious, but other Countries will. Not all.

It's well known that Iran and North Korea trade technology, how would you stop them from doing so? You pretty much can't. They have direct flights from Iran to North Korea and the U.S. can't just start blowing Iranian airplanes out of the sky on a hunch that it's carrying something illegal, even if it is. The public backlash would be enormous. So when the media says that it will take years for North Korea to get the missile technology, I say it's complete B.S.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

How true and you forgot Pakistan China trade triad as well, Pakistan could say it is meant for China but goes to DPRK, same with any one else say it is for so and so but goes their instead all it is , for you that can not see it is more of the same , Just giving DPRK to pull off some more ranting and raving , but with nukes this time. All making it look like it is the US fault, for the war starting again when it is DPRK that is doing the war drum beating

edit on 7-3-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Closing duplicate NK threads, and leaving the oldest one open.

Please post here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join