It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Filibustering Over Drones: I Will Not Let Obama ‘Shred the Constitution’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+97 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is staging an active filibuster of John Brennan’s nomination to be CIA director, a move prompted by Attorney General Eric Holder’s admission that it could be constitutional to carry out a drone strike on an American in the United States.

Paul said that all presidents must honor the Fifth Amendment. “No American should ever be killed in their house without warrant and some kind of aggressive behavior by them,” Paul said on the Senate floor. “To be bombed in your sleep? There’s nothing American about that . . . [Obama] says trust him because he hasn’t done it yet. He says he doesn’t intend to do so, but he might. Mr. President, that’s not good enough . . . so I’ve come here to speak for as long as I can to draw attention to something that I find to really be very disturbing.”

“I will not sit quietly and let him shred the Constitution,” Paul said
washingtonexaminer.com...

He was still on the floor asking the question....is objecting to the policy of your government
deserving of a drone strike?

Paul took to the floor after receiving a statement from Attorney General Eric Holder that creaked open the door to the possibility of using a drone to kill an American inside the United States.

“To allow one man to accuse you in secret -- you never get notified you've been accused,” Paul said on the floor. “Your notification is the buzz of propellers on the drone as it flies overhead in the seconds before you're killed. Is that what we really want from our government?”

www.foxnews.com...

And, he also asked if Jane Fonda would have deserved a hellfire missile...
here on You Tube.

washingtonexaminer.com...

www.youtube.com...

Gotta hand it to Rand Paul, he is at least standing ground, and I hope the best!

Update: They interrupted Rand with a government broadcast? Whoa..

www.youtube.com...
edit on 6-3-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Great for Rand, but this is nothing more than a "dog and pony "show. He will not get results no matter how long he talks. The main reason you will NEVER see a "drone strike" on US soil, is because they can't even hit their intended targets in other countries without killing innocent women and children. That would be too much a risk. I GUARANTEE you will NEVER see a drone fire on civilians on US soil...
edit on 6-3-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

The government is just trying to assert their authority over what is quickly becoming a police state. It does not happen overnight however, so they will propose and try and use scare tactics, and word every law just right, to give them the total power that they seek, and will eventually have.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
Great for Rand, but this is nothing more than a "dog and pony "show. He will not get results no matter how long he talks. The main reason you will NEVER see a "drone strike" on US soil, is because they can't even hit their intended targets in other countries without killing innocent women and children. That would be too much a risk. I GUARANTEE you will NEVER see a drone fire on civilians on US soil...
while i agree with you on the dog and pony show , i doubt the "never see a drone strike on american soil" part. for all we know it has allready happened. house explosions , bunker explosions, how are we to know the actual causes ? if someone is in the position to attack americans on american soil , i am sure they are capable of "explaining" it in a way that suits their agenda. also there is no proof that these innocent woman and children are not targets . its a good way to make enemies that you can then :"keep us safe from".

+45 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The government is just trying to assert their authority over what is quickly becoming a police state. It does not happen overnight however, so they will propose and try and use scare tactics, and word every law just right, to give them the total power that they seek, and will eventually have.

You go ahead and keep on believing that.

Decades ago, people who thought they were smart would tell you that the government would never ban soda pop over 16oz in New York or would track and store literally everything you do on a digital platform.

Hell, ERIC HOLDER CLAIMED THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO DO IT.

He has been filibustering since 8:47AM PST against the Brennan nomination, keep calling it a dog and pony show, you wouldn't have the courage to do the same.

edit on 6-3-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

He tried to stop NDAA. He tried to stop the internet take over Bill. Now this.

He honors the Paul name but, to be perfectly honest, we need the original:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Here is my point. Look at this beautiful FIVE year old child, that was the victim of a drone strike. Can you tell me what will happen the first time this happens on US soil? i.imgur.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
All the online alternative news sites are covering the story.

www.facebook.com...

Watch the filibuster here:
www.c-span.org...

Rand just passed the baton off to Mike Lee.

3+ hour filibuster, he deserves a break.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I think he is doing a better job than anyone else!
I love Ron Paul, Rand is young just give him time.

He even invoked Hitler, which is probably why they interrupted him with a
government broadcast.

www.youtube.com...

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Here is my point. Look at this beautiful FIVE year old child, that was the victim of a drone strike. Can you tell me what will happen the first time this happens on US soil? i.imgur.com...

Nobody can tell you the first it will happen on US soil, thats the point.

But I can tell you when an American citizen was killed on foreign soil, 16 year old son of a supposed terrorist, killed at a BBQ GATHERING.

Prosecution of journalists? Check
Stripping first amendment to protest elected officials under secret security? check
Indefinite detention of Americans? check
I can keep going but all you're going to do is sit there and say there will never be a drone strike on US soil. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? 30,000 drones ordered to be in US airspace.

Drones were being brought out for the Chris Dorner manhunt.

Are you serious? you still think a drone strike will never happen on US soil? I think you are the dog and pony show.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

All the justice department has to do is to say they "WILL NOT" use drones attacks on American citizens, but they WON'T DO IT!

You don't have to be wide awake to see the implications behind their motive!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

They are talking about this question right now!
Lets hope they get some clafication by Holder, or Brennan.

That is a crucial issue, why wont they say they wont strike americans on american soil?

They said they would, if they deem that person a domestic terrorist.

Brennans own words:

“The actions that we take on the counterterrorism front, again, are to take actions against individuals where we believe that the intelligence base is so strong and the nature of the threat is so grave and serious, as well as imminent, that we have no recourse except to take this action that may involve a lethal strike,” he said.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

They are talking about this question right now!
Lets hope they get some clafication by Holder, or Brennan.

That is a crucial issue, why wont they say they wont strike americans on american soil?

They said they would, if they deem that person a domestic terrorist.

Thanks to your thread and a few members saying it was on CSPAN I am watching it right now!

Thanks guys/gals!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Somehow I think a President Rand Paul
would say "We need drones to protect our
Libertarian American ideals."
It's because they are not his drones.
edit on 6-3-2013 by sealing because: Sp

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Its ridiculous that US senators even have to filibuster and hold the rest of the pack off from nominating a 'team' of appointees that advocate for drone strikes on Americans on US soil.

It is even more ridiculous we have ATS members telling us that it'll never happen, despite all of the facts staring us directly in the EYE.

Good line by Rand just now:

Only a bunch of government lawyers could come up with a definition of imminent that doesn't mean immediate.
Rand Paul

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Somehow I think a President Rand Paul
would say "We need drones to protect our
Libertarian American ideals."
It's because they are not his drones.
edit on 6-3-2013 by sealing because: Sp

What has he done or voted on so far to lead you to believe that he is a complete and utter hypocrite?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
To prevent this nation from speaking in one voice... to avoid having We the People all on one page, the government will make an attempt to divide us on these issues. It is far better for them that we are the house divided unto itself.

Regardless of name, I salute anyone with the stones to stand up and say NO to what is happening in America today!

link   

Yep. I've been seeing this issue come up on many news broadcasts on CNN over the last couple of days.
From the language they're using, it seems more certain with each broadcast.

Unless they're just pumping up the fear.

They're saying it will happen, in extrordinary circumstances.
They're also saying the definition of a terrorist is open to interpretation.

Every president from now, will have this power to kill American "terrorists" in the US.

link   

Are you serious? you still think a drone strike will never happen on US soil? I think you are the dog and pony show.

No need to be rude and call names. After all, if you were such a great american, you would respect my right to an opinion. Anyhow, I will tell you what, WHEN a US citizen is attacked by a drone on US soil, then we will talk. As of this moment, I would be correct thus far as no one has ever been......... fortunately...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Agreed, and I dont think they are pumping up the fear....Brennan has said
he would authorize a strke for a domestic terrorist. What he will not say is it will not
happen on American soil, I think they will just leave that open...as they know they
will eventually.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Watching him live on CSPN Senate cable channel....

Des

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join