It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In search of poor people recipes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

Buy whole chickens, they are cheaper that way. Roast it for dinner one night, and then pick the carcass clean afterwards and save for another dish or two. You could follow the chicken dinner with chicken noodles, chicken quesadillas, chicken pot pie, a stir fry, etc. Be creative.

And don't throw those chicken bones away - boil them in water to make a very healthy chicken stock that is a great base for soups.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by daryllyn

Buy whole chickens, they are cheaper that way. Roast it for dinner one night, and then pick the carcass clean afterwards and save for another dish or two. You could follow the chicken dinner with chicken noodles, chicken quesadillas, chicken pot pie, a stir fry, etc. Be creative.

And don't throw those chicken bones away - boil them in water to make a very healthy chicken stock that is a great base for soups.

I know people that save the carcass from their holiday turkeys and boil them off to make soup.

The one old lady always called it turkey-bone soup.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Great idea (:

We haven't been eating much chicken lately (got burnt out on it), but, I will definitely try my hand at some homemade stock this summer after our meat birds are ready for butchering.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Bread dumplings:
go to bakers ask for some couple of day old bread.
celery stalks and leaves
bacon ( a lil goes a long way)
eggs
milk
salt
onions
optional caraway seeds

slice bread into centimetre cubes put in biggest bowl u can find
slice onions, bacon, celery very finely place in bowl
add salt and caraway seeds
add eggs and milk and then get your hands in there and mush it up the bread has to break down but you dont want it runny has to be pliable to roll into balls about 5cm round.

Get the biggest pot you have half fill with water add some salt bring to the boil.
Add the balls a couple at a time when they float give a min or two longer then try one they should be cooked through. Once cooked you can freeze some the rest will last for about a week in the fridge.

You can use these to substitue meat or to bulk up stews or eat them on there own from the fridge. They seriously fill you up.

P.s. I usually am able to get the bread from the bakers for free there happy to get rid of it about 4 or 5 loaves worth so the only real cost is the bacon, onion, and celery.
I dint write measurements because it depends on how much bread you get.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

Originally posted by Night Star
Rice, mushroom soup and chicken mixed all together. You can also add sour cream and bacon. YUM!

This one is amazing even with out meat. I've done this one a few times

We do the same thing. but with beef, I'm not a big fan of rice, but even I love it!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Here is a link to a book that takes penny-pinching and frugality to an extreme level:

Amazon- Tightwad Gazette

It covers cooking, food, meal-planning and a lot more.

Thank you for this information...I just went on my local library's website...and put this book on hold; I can benefit from the books knowledge without having to pay for it; I guess you could say right now I am being a...tightwad..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
For all you rice lovers, here's the link to a really nice downloadable recipe book - with great variety & pictures. Just scroll down the page a bit for the e-book link.
Enjoy!

12 Healthy Rice Recipes For Dinner

We picked the top 12 recipes from around the world – on the basis of simplicity, cuisine representative of a region and our own preferences after trying out so many hundreds of recipes. We hope you will enjoy the recipes as much as we did in preparing them. Bon Appetit !

We offer this ebook at the best price – Free. We would really appreciate if you spread the word around in your social network.

Note: I have found that pound for pound, boneless pork loin at $1.69 - $1.99, is very versatile and economical. Makes for great pork fried rice, stir fry, and pork chop suey. YUM.......

Also, a can of Campbell's condensed (undiluted) Manhattan Clam Chowder soup mixed in with hot cooked rice makes a tasty meal.

edit on 18-3-2013 by Toots because: ETA text

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by butcherguy
Here is a link to a book that takes penny-pinching and frugality to an extreme level:

Amazon- Tightwad Gazette

It covers cooking, food, meal-planning and a lot more.

Thank you for this information...I just went on my local library's website...and put this book on hold; I can benefit from the books knowledge without having to pay for it; I guess you could say right now I am being a...tightwad..

You are quite welcome.

The lady that wrote it covers so many ways to live frugally, she even washes plastic bags to reuse them.
It is also very 'green', living this way.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SinDefiant

Just another tip....there is a website I frequent called readyseteat.com. It has thousands of recipes that are cheap, easy, and very tasty. I have made several and seem to print another every time i visit the site. Most require only 6 ingredients and you will usually have them on hand if you keep the esentials on hand.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join