It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Family Favorite...Bread Dough & Beet Leaf (Ukrainian) $5 to Feed an Army

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Looks good OP, Reminds me of halupkis(Hamburger and rice mix wrapped in cabbage leaf and baked in tomato sauce)
Ummm...the way you spelled halupkis...reminded me that we also used to call them galumphkis as well as pigs in a blanket...I suppose the "g" was initially silent or the gutteral "h" sound and then it transitioned into a "g"...cool...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Growing up I always had this type of food. My grandparents were the first Americans born here and feed us all (6 kids, 17 grand kids, 5great grand kids) with Russian, polish, German poor man food. I ate sh*t on the shingle many of times as a kid
ugh

Last year for a dinner party my mother had we made perogie lasagna

Use regular lasagna noodles, pre cooked onions, yellow cheese, and mashed potatoes
Just layer as you would regular lasagna and spread butter on top so it gets nice and crispy on top while baking

It's a nice spin on the perogie and is nice and filling

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Curried Sausages and Vegetables

Ingredients:

8 BBQ sausages

2 tbsp oil

1 large onion, sliced

1/2 tbsp Curry Powder

2 tbsp plain flour

2 cups chicken stock

1 cup frozen peas

2 tbsp cream

Method

Place sausages into a pot of boiling water and simmer for five minutes.

Let cool, de-skin and slice into 5cm pieces.

Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry onions for 3 minutes.

Add in the Curry Powder, fry for a further 2 minutes then mix through the flour.

Pour in the stock and return the sausages to the pan.

Bring to the boil stirring and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Add the peas and cream five minutes before serving.

Serve on a bed of boiled rice.

N/B Vegetables can be substituted with any of your favorites.

edit on 5/3/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: Make it look more presentable

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
How is this thread still on the front page after four days!! I dont come to ATS to learn how Ukrainian people cook thier food. We here in first world countries have zero need for such nonsense...juat like ATS doesnt.

Is there some conspiracy regarding this dish? Is it made from ingredients found on Mars or something? I mean....this is a conspiracy forum...knock it off with this crap for crisake. Front page should be reserved for ACTUAL NEWS THAT ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING.

Hope ya choke on the sausages.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainOblivious
How is this thread still on the front page after four days!! I dont come to ATS to learn how Ukrainian people cook thier food. We here in first world countries have zero need for such nonsense...juat like ATS doesnt.

Is there some conspiracy regarding this dish? Is it made from ingredients found on Mars or something? I mean....this is a conspiracy forum...knock it off with this crap for crisake. Front page should be reserved for ACTUAL NEWS THAT ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING.

Hope ya choke on the sausages.

Please go back to your Kraft Dinner and Spam and leave the recipes to those that know what is really important.

If you want a conspiracy slant, you'll remember this recipe when you can't find Kraft Dinner and Spam on your local grocery store shelves.

And...

This is even cheaper to feed a family in current times.

Also, why even click on the thread if it doesn't concern you or your interests because it's plain to see that you are a member of a few days and have no idea what ATS is REALLY about.

It's about people first and foremost.

Peace

edit on 7-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainOblivious

If you cared to see the forum it's under you'd understand abovetopsecret caters to conspiracy talk and non conspiracy talk. It is nice to talk about something besides all the crazy stuff in the world with our friends on here. I mean its in the food & cooking forum not even survival, not everything has to have a conspiracy to it

It was probably up there because of a lot of activity from people viewing it. The US has a good percent of Eastern European descendants living here, plus the people around the world who come here that have a similar background or eat similar food.

Seriously who gets mad at having new cooking ideas? It's always fun to try new foods out of the ordinary, especially if it helps feed a large amount of people for less money

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AudioGhost
reply to post by CaptainOblivious

If you cared to see the forum it's under you'd understand abovetopsecret caters to conspiracy talk and non conspiracy talk. It is nice to talk about something besides all the crazy stuff in the world with our friends on here. I mean its in the food & cooking forum not even survival, not everything has to have a conspiracy to it

It was probably up there because of a lot of activity from people viewing it. The US has a good percent of Eastern European descendants living here, plus the people around the world who come here that have a similar background or eat similar food.

Seriously who gets mad at having new cooking ideas? It's always fun to try new foods out of the ordinary, especially if it helps feed a large amount of people for less money

My guess would be that I'd have to take up arms if I posted a perogy recipe.

Dangerous times my friend...

Peace

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yes, I'm sure things would come to fisticuffs if you posted a pierogi s recipe! :-)

Thanks to the OP for posting this. We love Eastern European foods and this is a new one for us.

I can't make good pierogies, the dough scrinches up no matter how much I stretch it out. Hubby makes fabulous cabbage rolls -he had an old Ukrainian neighbor teach him how it should be done. When we lived in Texas, we has access to a nice little Polish grocery store so we could get our fix of good meats, klusky, mushroom uska(?), etc. but alas, haven't found any eastern euro grocery stores in Louisiana!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join