It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the modern day piano virtuosos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hi just curious to see who people think to be a piano / keyboardist virtuosos from the last century the last century who write their own songs .

For me the best I have heard is Jordan Rudess from a progressive rock/ metal band called Dreamtheater .

Here are a few songs he has done on his own with just his grand piano . Simpy amazing guess for me a new found love of the piano for me from an die hard progressive metal fan.

I hope you enjoy also I am looking forward to contributions and discovering new artists

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I wish I could give you a list of amazing living pianists but in all honesty it's not my field so I wouldn't want to give you uneducated answers (considering I'm on my second year of a three year music course I should feel ashamed)

But I have a track here I found not too long ago that I thought sounded beautiful, made by Italian pianist Ludovico Einaudi

Also if you like DreamTheatre, Muse would be a good band to listen to especially as they use quite a bit of piano in their music too, I love them!!
edit on 2/3/2013 by Unsustainable because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/3/2013 by Unsustainable because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unsustainable

LOL not really my field either I play guitar as will be but I am discovering I guess with age that there is some solace in a well played piano .

I listened to the track now the link is fixed it is a brilliant powerful piece of music , thanx for the share I will look for more from this artist on you tube

edit on 2/3/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Jordan Rudess is a amazing artist. I am a guitarist as well, I got introduced to him threw petrucci.
I love solo artist, no matter what type of music they play its all direct emotion. Emotions witch we all have, if cannot vibe with the music above then you are probably blocking out a emotion you do not want to fell. The only other pianist I know of it mozart. I hope to hear more.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I dont know or follow any modern composers of piano really, but there are multitudes of virtuoso players who learn and perform classical pieces (and contemporary) (Im a fan of a lot of the classics myself and have only been exploring for maybe a year or so and so deep into the discovery of the classics Chopin,Bach,Beethoven,Mozart,Schumann,Schubert, Liszt,Debussy, Rachiminoff,etc.) Here are some young people virtuostically playing some classics. How ever old these pieces of music maybe, the feelings they conjure are all still human, and the patience and genius with which they were composed are all still real and impressive. Im posting all these to kinda try and show you (if you are not aware), there is good piano music from all different times

Ill be checking back, to see if anyone can find some good modern piano composers. Havent made it through all the tracks in your OP but hes certainly not bad

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Hey thanks for the reply I really enjoyed and felt the most emotion from Erik Satie great song . I am enjoying the modern classical as I seem to connect with it alot more than the greats classical .

Maybe you have heard of Ludovico Einaudi brilliant player who writes with great emotion .

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Wow that guy is very awesome, I especially like primevara. feel like ive heard it in a film/it would be good music for a film/its beautiful music in general. I do enjoy that style but I cant help but notice qualities that a lot of modern piano compositions share, and I personally just find more excitement in the classic pieces. But those pieces were very enjoyable and well done. It is crazy that a whole time period shares the same desiree for the similar rhythm, and bouncy feel, the modern piano compositions do seem to be concentrated on strong pockets of rhythem. They certainly stand on their own as great pieces of music that are enjoyable to listen to. The common denominator with good music (maybe even some bad) is the inspiration it offers, so I hope even though im going to post more old ones, I hope you can enjoy the time listening and state of mind they bring you. Oh, and something I just realized.. and this may be why you wouldnt dig the music I post, some is not the best quality, my passion is music and my dream is becoming a composer, so most of the music I come across and love is because of its inspiring nature regarding how it was conceived and composed, So the reason I can endure bad quality and old recordings, is because im paying attention to the over arching ideas and themes and composers projection, more so then trying to just enjoy the music for what it is and as it is. However I will start doing some homework to see if I can actually contribute some modern composers to this thread

(being canadian do you know of Glenn gould?)

edit on 4-3-2013 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2013 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Yes he has done movie scores. Primevara is one of my favorites by Ludovico Einaudi .

I notice that with music as well different time spans desires a different structures and progressions .
As for the low quality meh dont bother me the feelings will always be displayed we listen to music the same way .
I really liked nocturne .

what blows me away with this guy is they are mostly improvised (web cam videos he does )

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
As already mentioned by other's I enjoy listening to Ludovico Einaudi...my favourite piece by him as to be I Giorni...

When I first started listening to him I don't think he was heard of very much and certainly not in a commercial sense...but I have noticed his music being used in tv drama's and tv advert's here in the UK more recently.

I know the thread was about modern day piano virtuosos...but I can't leave any thread of this sort without paying homage to the solo piano piece composed by Chopin - Nocturne No 20 in C-sharp minor. I believe he composed it before he left Poland but it wasn't untill 26 year's after his death that it was published. I know these thing's are a personal thing but it as always moved me greatly.

I will enjoy listening to other's people have shared

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Yes, that guy Jordan that you posted in the OP and just before is really nice stuff. I really like whisper in the air in the op.

en.wikipedia.org...

scroll down to the last category and its contemporary piano composers. The first person on the list is 43 years old so this may be more of what you are looking for and there is quite a lot of names. When I get some free time Im gonna start going through the list and youtubing. But I guess I will see if you start that before me and post some people from it you find.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

That Nocturne #20 is a nice one

sorry for such a long link, but my favorite of his (very hard to say, there are a few favorite nocturnes) is 10, and I cannot find a better recording of it then in this. Its a recording of all his nocturnes, you can let it load and when you have time chip a way at it, or fast forward to 39:05 to listen to #10 (im not assuming you arent familiar, just want to share if your not
)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Thanks for the link as I am having a hard time finding anyone .. you tube has failed me

now I got a list to go by .

ETA I will post when I do find , between toddler and infant I will find time

edit on 7/3/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Yundi Li.

/thread

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Darth Vader is the best:

top topics

join